New duck gun ideas

Bill Abbate

I figured that this group would be able to provide me with some guidance. I've been duck hunting with a Browning gold-hunter (12 gauge, semi-auto). I'm interested in stepping it up and getting a new "duck gun". I was hoping for some ideas from some of you avid waterfowlers. My Browning has a tendency to jam up after firing two shots rapidly. I understand that there is new technology out there that will relieve this problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cost is not a factor. Thanks in advance. Happy, healthy, and prosperous Nrew Year to all and their families.

Browning Gold is a great gun. What is jamming up after two rapid shots? Can't be much. Explain further. Other than that, Remington makes the Versamax. Chris Geminski has one and seems to like it alot. One of the better gas systems I've worked with. Seems to be fool proof.

I had a similar situation last season, and was all set to go but the Benelli Super Vinci. I went into the store, explained situation to the salesman and what I was looking for. Told him that I'd read great reviews about the Super Vinci and I wanted to try one. To my surprise, he told me that 1. It was a new gun and MAY have issues they had not worked out. 2. To save $1000.00 and buy the Stoeger 3500 which I ended up doing.
It was great advice. Although the Super Vinci continues to get good write ups, the 3500 has had well over 500 shells through it so far, manynof them 3.5 inch goose loads and I have to say it is a great gun. The guy knew what he was talking about. I use it for blind shooting, sea ducking, goose hunting from a pit, and preserve shoots. While it has jammed a few times, mostly to my haste in loading it, all in all it is well worth what you pay for it.
Good luck, and Happy New Year to you and everyone else on this great site!

Shoot an over/ under, you will never have to worry about jamming up in cold weather. I finally went this route many years ago and my auto sits in the safe.

I have a Gold 12 ga 3.5" and had jamming issues in cold weather when shooting Hevi-Metal 3" which turned gun into a single shot. Asked on some other forums and suggestion was to try other shells, since others had some jamming with these shells too. So far no problems with Winchester Supreme, Kent Fast Steel and Challenger. If I have more problems I will go back to my Auto 5 Magnum or a double barrel before I start shopping for a new cannon (though I am curious about the 'new' Auto 5).

Bill I just bought a new browning maxus 3.5 & absolutely love it. I just sold both of my benell's, SBE1 & SBE2. The browning is lighter,less recoil & more comfortable to shoot. Happy New Year to you & yours. Joe

How many rounds thru the gun and how often do you clean it? Get some Break Free and give the internal parts a good spraying, let it soak and scrub every crevice inside of the receiver, bolt, etc with an M16 nylon brush and the carbon build up on the mag tube with a brass brush. Get some nylon cleaning picks and get into the crevices inside the receiver and get all of the crud loose, then spray it all down with Break Free Powder Blast. Clean the Mag Spring and inside the Mag tube as well, as well as the action spring inside of the stock....

Then REPEAT

Then lube the bolt rails with ONE drop of FP-10, the 2 piece bolt with ONE drop, and ONE drop in the action.

Consider replacing the action spring, hammer pin spring, mag spring as well. $25 worth of parts.... Either from Browning or Wolff Springs....I think Wolff has an upgraded heavier hammer spring available. When I replaced the action spring in my SX2, the new spring was 2-3" LONGER than the original spring....

With respect to your jam problems, almost all auto models suffer that problem to some degree. Although I'm not familiar with your model it sounds like something is gunked up in the gas system forward of the receiver, which doesn't allow everything to return fully forward for a good gas seal by the time you fire that quick second shot, so you lose the gas and the gun doesn't cycle. When it's cold out just a little oil turns into molasses. Try cleaning the gun thoroughly, clean off any residual oil near the gas system and shoot it dry. Might also be a weak or strong spring, depending on which way it's oriented it might need a little stretching or trimming. Trimming the spring might need somebody who knows what they're doing, unless you want to risk buying another.

While I enjoy a nice double gun as much as anyone, consider the ammunition you will be using before deciding on one. Most steel shot is tolerable from a recoil perspective, but the uber-hyper-mega velocity loads and many hevi-shot (and similar heavier than lead) shells carry a wallop on both ends. Also, based on your location I guess you hunt some in salt water, my theory is that an expensive gun always rusts quicker than a cheap(er) one. I have tested this theory over many years and have proven it to myself, to the detriment of my wallet. A corollary to that theory is that they sink faster than autos as well.

On balance, I'm a fan of autos for waterfowl although I shoot pumps and doubles with some regularity. Since you have a Browning, I would be sure to look at the new Auto 5. In addition to the guns mentioned, for the price I like the Remington 1187.

In any event, have fun shopping! Look at it as trial and error, if the one you fall in love with and buy today isn't the life partner you were looking for, a divorce is relatively cheap. ;-)

I see while I was tinkering with my post JimG posted good advice about cleaning, also some insight regarding the spring.

Last edited:
I have a Benelli M1and love it. Best gun I have ever shot.

With that said, I had some of the same troubles you had a couple of years back. Since I had had the gun for over a decade, I figured the gun was getting tired and a new one might be in order. I brought the gun into a well respected gunsmith and told him of my troubles. I wanted to try out a stainless spring in the stock and he said while it would work, there was an easier fix that would cost me about $60. He said the gun needed a good cleaning. I thought he had lost his marbles as I religiously clean my guns and have always been proud of my cleaning skills. He reassured me that he cleaned a couple of places that owners of this gun can't get to. He promised results or my money back.

I left the gun with him and he did his magic. When I picked up the gun he showed me what he did and how to prevent this from happening agin. I have not had a single jam since and hundreds of rounds have gone through the gun.

If the gun shoots well, I would get it fixed rather than starting over with a new gun. The advice about cleaning it will serve you well is my guess. Gas guns can sometimes be finicky.

Shells matter as well. I shoot the Kent Fasteel now and they have never given me any problems. Kicks the shoulder but good shells.

Mark W

I see you mention a new SS spring. Is that like a Sure Cycle? IF I went back to a semi I would probable get one of their units.

I see you mention a new SS spring. Is that like a Sure Cycle? IF I went back to a semi I would probable get one of their units.

That was the route I was considering as I replaced that spring more than once when the gun would give me fits. The gunsmith convinced me the spring was not the issue and he was correct. Saved myself a bunch of bucks.

Mark W

I have a H&K SBE that I bought in 1995. 10 years ago I replaced the recoil and magazine spring with SureCycle springs. It was so bad again this fall that it wouldn't cycle the 2nd shot. I replaced the recoil, magazine and hammer springs with Wolff Springs for a total cost of $26 I think. The gun acts like new again. This gun has in the neighborhood of 12,000 rounds through it already and since I shoot a SxS for ducks now it's only duty is as a back-up.

My progression: A-5, 1187, SBE1, SX2, Extrema II. The only one that was really reliable was the A-5. Since steel isn't good for my old A-5 and it is only 3", I've given up on autos for now, and switched to an early Citori Satin Hunter. It chambers 3.5" shells and points even better than the SX2 did.

Doesn't eject as in the shell sticks in the chamber or the action does not cycle?
Either way, a trip to a good gun smith is cheaper than a new gun.

That said, I bought a Beretta 390 from Walmart back in 2003 and it has been fool-proof, even with hunting salt water and my crappy maintenance of it.

I bought an 1187 supermag a few years back. There have been a bunch of talk about crappy quality with Remington during the last few years. My only complaint is the matte finish. I'm not sure what is up but it doesn't seem to resist corrosion like my old 870. I have considered getting it dipped but have not as of yet.

Browning Gold is a good gun and I would agree that a trip to the gunsmith will be a lot cheaper than a new gun. However, If you really want a new gun then I will say SX2. I have a ridiculous amount of shells through mine and it will only jam when the temp gets below 10 and then run it real dry and you're good. Additionally, I shoot 3.5" and don't feel it at all compared to my Benelli super black eagle. I haven't priced them in a while, but last I looked it was about $650. I think the SX2 is a great gun for the money.

sounds like the recoil spring in the stock they get rusty and tired after awhile shure cycle makes a replacement in stainlees great product

Back