New Guy

Capt. Gary Lefler

After waiting for my account to be validated, I can now introduce myself. First, I would like to say hello, and say that I am glad to be part of this forum. I hope I can learn many things along the way, and also be able to help others along the way. I am 47 years of age, happily married since 2006, and own a small welding/fabrication business. I am Christian, Conservative, and Republican. I won't try to change your religious or political views, please don't try to change mine.
After graduating HS, I served a tour and a half in the USAF in the early 80's. I was a Red Horse Civil Engineer, and also was assigned to USAFSO, and spent some time in the Middle East, (Gulf War I), and a couple other places in the world, Korea, Honduras, and Oman. Along the way I earned a degree in Applied Science from CCAF. At the end of the Cold War and with defense manning reduction, I left the USAF, and moved to Charlotte, NC to pursue a career in NASCAR as a mechanic/welder/fabricator/pit crew member, where my engineering experience and athletic ability might be better used. It was always a dream of mine anyways, having grown up in this area. I also went back to school and earned another AS degree at CPCC. I worked for various teams until 2009, where I found myself working in sport that had been changed drastically, and working on racecars was not fun anymore. In 2009, I took all of those experiences and started my own business, Hi-Caliber Metalworks Inc. and so far I have been able to stay busy, keep the lights on, and pay my bills, and I'm having fun again.
I live and breathe duckhunting and coastal inshore fishing. Thats what I do, when I am not working. I also operate a very small guide service where I charter duck hunting and fishing trips in the Pamlico Sound of NC.
Thats it, in a nutshell. I hope it wasn't too lengthy, and if you read all of this, THANK YOU.

Let me be one of the first to welcome you!

Sounds like you have a Wealth of knowledge you may be willing to share. That's what it's all about!

Looking forward to reading your threads.

Joanne

Welcome to this great site, Gary. You sound like a busy man and that is definitely a good sign. Good luck with your business venture. Knowing that you are happy with the decision that you made and that the bills are being paid is a great way to begin. I'll look forward to some duck hunting pictures.
Al

Welcome always nice to have another face around the ol woodstove. Kick your feet up and relax, your among some of the best guys you'll ever meet.

Gary,

Welcome to the best home on the net! If it's duck hunting that turns your crank, then you've found a new home.... Glad to have you aboard.

Gary Welcome. Nice intro, I too was an AF Civil Engineer. Heavy Equip/pavements and grounds. Did my time with 554 Red Horse at Osan, Italy, Germany, Morocco and a bunch of states to include Minot, ND...but I truly liked it there. Anyway, welcome a great forum and a bunch of great guys.

Bill V

Hello Gary, glad to see another NC guy around here. The Pamlico Sound is my home turf. Maybe I'll bump into you sometime.

Thanks everyone, glad to be here.
bvullo; I was TDY with the 554th at Osan in 84, we were there to observe an exercise. Can't remember what the name was.
I was also TDY at Aviano Italy, for the same thing, observing the reporting back to USAFSO at Eglin AFB.
JohnD; I do most of my hunting around the Bay and Neuse rivers, and fishing from the Pungo down to Cedar Island and everywhere in between. Maybe we will bump into on another...

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!!! I am sure you will chime in if anybody has welding questions or the waters of Palmico sound. Its on my bucket list of places to hunt!!

Back