new pics of my bbsb refurb

Chris S.

i posted pics 2 weeks ago of my bbsb that i am refurbing side by side with boat builder Bill Simonson last week i did alot of sanding and the little odds and ends like finished the decoy racks and got ready for paint i got the motor board mounted and was able to build and glass the new hatch cover the one that came with the boat will become fire wood today i painted the whole boat inside and out and painted the decoy racks i still have to make some floor boards and put em in i will make the floor boards in 2 parts so i can fit my gas tank under the front deck the first few pics are of what the boat looked like when i brought it home it was rough and you can see the big changes

View attachment 016.jpg View attachment 012.jpg
you can see where i took off the old off center motor board and put on a new centered motor board with a 15 degree pitch and put on the brackets for the decoy racks and put on aft grass rails and a 2nd handle and a lot of fresh paint
View attachment 037.jpg
here is a front shot where the grass rails were added and that ugly board with the 2 handles and ring were was removed and more paint
View attachment 042.jpg View attachment 043.jpg
any thoughts or comments are welcome it is really exciting being able to watch this take on a new life i will post more pics as i go

Chris, I like that sculling oar mount. Will you re-install that? Did you get a sculling oar wiht the boat too? Be interested in what that looked like. I intend to fashion something on my BBSB so I can scull it too. That is a nice simple design. Reburb is going nicely, good job!

Dave

Chris, nice work it's coming along nice. What style dodger, if you are going to use a dodger? You'll spend now till season working and waiting to use it and by end of season you'll have a all new list of things you want to add /change etc. At least thats what happened w/ AA Broadbill for me. Wait that happens every year w/all my boats. HaHA. Keep the pics coming to.

Gene

This boat has a really big cickpit it is 71inches long and 30inches wide. A basic dodger won't give me the cover I am looking for. I called the mighty layout boys to see if I could buy the dodger that they put on the chuck huff. The chuck huff has a cockpit size of 67inches and will give me the kinda cover I am wanting. I have not heard back yet so not 100% sure on what to do but I like that style the same style that david clark makes so either way I will get one of those dodger. I feel that is the best dodger style to cover such a big cockpit and hide me aswell when gunning if anyone knows of any other places that make that style dodger please let me know thanks
Chris

Chris, why cover the entire cockpit? Use an "apron" like Dave Clark uses, and I copied.

60308_1616030806937_1421364622_31610786_4964268_n.jpg

Mom sewed this up for me... I used fiberglass electric fence rods for the stiffeners, rolls up to about a 3 inch diameter but supports wet vegetation, and my shotgun just fine.

61130_1616029846913_1421364622_31610779_3071067_n.jpg

Last edited:
Chris, re the sculling oar; is it for sale?
PM with particulars if you are considering selling.
Love the boat. You've done a real nice job restoring it.
Thanks - Paul

I like Bill Simonsen's boats the best of all the current Jersey builders(just a personal preference, there are a lot of really nice boats built here). I have almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, but I think the Mrs. will freak out if I show up with #3. You are going to have a really cool boat when you are finished. He is a very nice guy, I'm sure you are having fun doing it. Keep the pictures coming.

I have never gunned out of a sneak box before so I am really looking foward to it I'm sure I have a lot to learn about sneakbox hunting so all the advice and tips will be great

Looking good. Simonsen makes a really nice boat.

I think the biggest adjustment people have to gunning out of sneakboxes is the whole shooting while sitting down thing. You can always practice shooting skeet from the seated position to get used to it.

Back