New Schellinger project

I am still waiting for reports of the schellingers cracking, sinking, rolling over, killing people....????
Outlaw, MLB, plenty of reports on those...jon boats....plenty more reports of those... anyone ...anyone...bueller, bueller.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still waiting for reports of the schellingers cracking, sinking, rolling over, killing people....????
Outlaw, MLB, plenty of reports on those...jon boats....plenty more reports of those... anyone ...anyone...bueller, bueller.
If im goin down in January in freezing cold water you better put a bullet in my head quick. I don't wanna be holding onto a floating mass waiting for hypothermia to kick in. IMO

This site is becoming like all the rest.Who cares if they want a boat that doesn't have foam in it.It's their boat and their lives...period.Oh but the Coast Guard.....sorry to tell you but BBSB went over a hundred of year without foam in them.
If you don't like the boat then don't buy it.

BTW...Congrats on your new boat !

Last edited:
I did pour foam in my bow it,s all dead space their anyway . In rough water just keep the bow up and she will plow along just like a BBSB.

John, As some of are other members have said you better have a lot of Flowtation in that boat, I guess you haven't encountered many rough water conditions where & how you Gun. You appear to be to Speed Conscious. You evidently didn't do much gunning in the later Part of Jan.This year. I thing you are going to regret selling your BBSB. I would rather be Safe Then Sorry.Just my Opinion.

This site is becoming like all the rest.Who cares if they want a boat that doesn't have foam in it.It's their boat and their lives...period.Oh but the Coast Guard.....sorry to tell you but BBSB went over a hundred of year without foam in them.

Well Bob,
I'd like to think that I care. That I care enough about my fellow man to speak up on a safety issue. Yes, it is their life BUT I'd like to think that I care enough, I'd put my own life on the line to rescue them.
Yes the BBSB was around before the Coast Guard. We have no way of determining just how many lives were lost in that time and how many may have been saved, had their boat not sank to the bottom. I'd like to think that we have become smarter in that time.

my bad, hit the wrong button... John. you better sell that piece of junk before it sink. oh and sell my your 15 HP so i can put in on my 11 ft roy boat!!!

amen Yash.o and Bob.....

its more government over regulation protecting idiots from themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its like theres 2 schools of sneakbox, the southern boys who hunt the channels and cuts through the marsh like the go fast (low and flat) style and the northern boys who mostly hunt open water like the estuary, (deep round style). then theres always the mix of terrain throughout. and exceptions, like Great bay, and the meadowlands

john, dont let any of this scare you bud. its a great boat for what you want to use it for in the back creeks. i dont think you'll regret selling the barnegat. i have a bbsb and a roy boat and my bbsb has been sitting in the pole barn unused for years. like ANY 12 foot boat you have to know your limitations thats all.

Last edited:

Bob, You are killin me with this one dude. That is like saying we should be fine with cars not having seat belts or airbags because they were driven that way for a 100yrs.

Tod simply mentioned they may want to add foam and folks got all defensive and are requesting damage/failure stats...

I get that whenever a Schellinger thread gets started there is usually a jab about speed. One can laugh it off and shrug their shoulders or get all pissed off and make a scene. I see it as a little onion busting amongst those with shared interests but that is obviously not the case, eh.

How well do you think a bbsb covered with glass and a 5 horse on the back is going to float? There's less room to put floatation or decoys in a bbsb than a roy boat. With the exception of a following sea my roy boat handles better in a wind driven sea than my bbsb ever did. With the distance I run from the ramp at Mad Horse or Tuckahoe I like a little sensible speed. I've owned both, I've got 50 years of experience on the water, I prefer my Schellinger low boat. That said you have a right to swim in ice water however you wish should you be silly enough to expose yourself. I think most times the captain is the problem not the vessel.

Well Bob,
I'd like to think that I care. That I care enough about my fellow man to speak up on a safety issue. Yes, it is their life BUT I'd like to think that I care enough, I'd put my own life on the line to rescue them.
Yes the BBSB was around before the Coast Guard. We have no way of determining just how many lives were lost in that time and how many may have been saved, had their boat not sank to the bottom. I'd like to think that we have become smarter in that time.
IMO...Definitely not smarter just more dependent on the government instead of using common sense.

Bob, You are killin me with this one dude. That is like saying we should be fine with cars not having seat belts or airbags because they were driven that way for a 100yrs.

Tod simply mentioned they may want to add foam and folks got all defensive and are requesting damage/failure stats...

I get that whenever a Schellinger thread gets started there is usually a jab about speed. One can laugh it off and shrug their shoulders or get all pissed off and make a scene. I see it as a little onion busting amongst those with shared interests but that is obviously not the case, eh.

And how many people drive without seat belts? My point was its not your business what boat they buy.You make your point once to get it across but now it's just boring and petty every time a Roy boat thread comes up.

thanks for the responses guys, and the suggestions too. I didnt mean to start a war here, I just picked out a boat that i thought would fit my style and location well. I apprechiate the safety concers and will look into some foam.

Also i will post updates on this thread with the progress i make with working on it during the off season. Thinking of putting some flaps on and netting possibly, i hear roy did away with the grass rails on his newer boats. I know he did away with flaps too but i like em.

Yash, when is the meet up? If i get the boat in decent shape i will come.

I have one with a 25 hp and its fast ( the motor weighs more than the boat ). Not sure how this guy designed them but he did a good job. boat sits perfect in the water and well balanced

And how many people drive without seat belts? My point was its not your business what boat they buy.You make your point once to get it across but now it's just boring and petty every time a Roy boat thread comes up.

How many signs do you see that say "click-it or ticket"?

I also went back and I don't see where anyone told someone what boat to buy. I do see a recommendation to someone who is new to the site (3 posts) to think about foam as an option for their boat...

Back