New Site Format Thread

Eric Patterson

Staff member
Some progress is being made on the new format. I've identified a company that can help make the transition to the new forum software and we are starting to talk technical specifics of the way the new format should be laid out.

I would like to use this thread to bounce some ideas off everyone and get input.

Here is my current question. Would you rather have this forum's content migrated to the new format, meaning accounts, posts, pictures, PMs, etc. are folded into the new format. In this case there might be some missing fields and "peculiarities"? Or would you rather start fresh with a new forum, but have all the old content a click away and in it's current format and fully intact. In this case I'd disable posting but you could search and pull up anything you can today. There would be a link on the new format that takes you straight to this forum, albeit disabled to new posts.

Input appreciated.

Eric

First, thank you for all the work you are doing for us. I think if we start fresh, but keep our current user profiles that would be fine. If this site just gets frozen as is, it's like starting a new chapter in a book, always able to go back and look, at the previous chapter, which is this site.

Eric, as always thank you for all your continued hard work on making this site such a valuable resource for all of us!
Having a new website with this old version as a resource is an excellent idea all for it!

Eric Patterson said:
Some progress is being made on the new format. I've identified a company that can help make the transition to the new forum software and we are starting to talk technical specifics of the way the new format should be laid out.

I would like to use this thread to bounce some ideas off everyone and get input.

Here is my current question. Would you rather have this forum's content migrated to the new format, meaning accounts, posts, pictures, PMs, etc. are folded into the new format. In this case there might be some missing fields and "peculiarities"? Or would you rather start fresh with a new forum, but have all the old content a click away and in it's current format and fully intact. In this case I'd disable posting but you could search and pull up anything you can today. There would be a link on the new format that takes you straight to this forum, albeit disabled to new posts.

Input appreciated.

Eric

I'm sure the "new format" makes the most sense. Having the ability to search the old content world probably be a plus for many.

The main thing is not losing the sense of family and the civility that the rules here demand.

All of the above sounds good to me. Having the current site available to browse would be great, but most of all thank you for not abandoning ship.

I echo what everyone else says. Start new but have the old forum searchable. knowing that is a possibility makes starting fresh sooooo much easier in my mind.

I also agree with Mike.

In a sense we already have this style format with the "carvers corner" section now, do we not? Should be more of the same. Maintain the same rules, maybe have another t-shirt or hat buyout to make some extra money to facilitate the cost of switching over? Or perhaps that's just a personal preference

Turns out there may be some technical issues with keeping the old forum alive and read/search only, not to mention baggage I'm trying to get rid of. At first I thought it was a possibility. Now I'm not too sure. I'm being told the migration shouldn't be too bad, other than folks possibly having to reset their passwords. FYI, I have no real idea how long this process may take. I'm working with vendors now and will have more information on schedule.

Eric

I'd hate to see the old go, but on the other hand, it makes no sense to carry extra baggage if the time trouble and cost exceed the true benefit.

Edit; After checking my "post count", I vote for we throw out the old entirely. Start fresh with new profiles, sign up dates and post counts. Isn't any other way I'm ever catching Tod or Carl. [w00t]

Last edited:
Eric~

So wonderful to hear that duckboats.net may/can/will have bright future!

Carl and Tod~

This may be just the jolt I need to pass you Old Timers sooner rather than later! In fact, if I add my 2 cents 9 or so more times to this thread alone, I'll get over that 6K milestone.....

All the best,

The Prolix Newcomer

Member since 2013 (I think....)

Steve Sanford said:

Carl and Tod~

This may be just the jolt I need to pass you Old Timers sooner rather than later! In fact, if I add my 2 cents 9 or so more times to this thread alone, I'll get over that 6K milestone.....

All the best,

The Prolix Newcomer

Member since 2013 (I think....)

In recent history there is a trend for top poster dying, so be careful there. Harker was number one when he died and the first one who surpassed his post count was Al. I'm assuming Carl is done for, so I'm hoping you pass me quick.

Last edited:
tod osier said:
In recent history there is a trend for top poster dying, so be careful there. Harker was number one when he died and the first one who surpassed his post count was Al. I'm assuming Carl is done for, so I'm hoping you pass me quick.

Whew!!!!! That makes me feel better about being here so long and not having super high post numbers like some!

Eric I suggest you take the easiest route, if that means we loose some older material it is a shame but not worth worryibg about.
Start fresh and move forward.

Back