NorEaster: Hang on guys, winters back

Carl

Staff member
Look up NorEaster in the dictionary and you will see a picture of tomorrows forecast maps:

[inline usa_ICast.gif ]

Youse guys up north bedda Stock up on milk, bread, booze & generator fuel.

View attachment usa_ICast.gif

Don't drink milk, but have plenty of booze and gas. Prediction now is 24", which will shut things down tight. Clusterfuck today on the roads with everyone out.

We are on Spring Break, so we were planning on being home anyway, but Gus will probably have a couple days off. We are making a full on Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow in amongst snow removal. Turkey is thawed, cranberry relish and sauce is made and Gus and Jen are making pie crust now.

Last edited:
Sounds like southern New England is going to get hit harder than us in Maine. 12"-18" predicted here, but after the week in February that dropped 40+ inches on me in 3 storms, that's nothing to worry about.

I will stop on my way home for an extra bottle of whisky, just in case I need antifreeze or something.

We are supposed to get 6-10"s of mess here in South Jersey, snow then sleet, maybe some freezing rain. This is a "no shovel" storm for me. The stuffs too heavy and it will be gone in a few days. Of course I say that now........

No biggie here, 12"-18", just a regular winter storm. The road crew folks do an exceptional job. Western NYers are a hardy breed. When a winter storm can close down I-90 with many feet of snow, and folks stranded, then it's serious.

Winter permeates ALL seasons here. The celebration of Spring & Summer are a cascade of flowers everywhere = anti winter.

To get the proper feel of western NY winter, and all seasons. One only has to study the work of Charles Burchfield. He conveyed it better than anyone can, or ever will.

As far as shoveling - "God put it there and he will take it away."

As long as the power stays ON I will be happy. Doubtful any chances of flooding as the wind should switch north in afternoon

My relatives in PA (Poconos & NW of the Poconos) are at 24" and still snowing.

We're about 6 hours and 6 inches into the storm. Some very intense bands of snow have come through in the last 2 hours--can't see the road out the picture window, and it's only about 30 yards away.

No one should have to deal with that much snow and that is coming from someone who gets that much snow!

Feel bad for you guys.

hard to tell here the total is in western NY- its still snowing but the drifting is just starting up again, knee to hip deep - its a light snow and winds are forecasted over 20MPH today

anything I cleared yesterday is filled in again - might actually have to see if the snowblower will start - have not run it in two years due to the mild winters

but the aquifers need it - a slow melt of snow is going to soak in better than the hard rains we have that tend to run off

Good morning, All~

This morning (and yesterday just before dark) makes me thankful for the Snowblower Inventor. It blew so hard from the north yesterday that measuring total snowfall is a challenge. (I'll need to get into the woods on snowshoes later today.) I am guessing that flakes that made landfall here began life up on Baffin Island or its Arctic neighbors. My guess is 20 - 24 inches here in southern Washington County.

During the winter, my snowblower spends its days off resting comfortably in my heated shop. So, firing it up (plugged into the wall) is a pleasure. And, I garaged my tractor Monday night just in case I needed the "big guns".

Looks like this snow will be on the ground for awhile - almost like February should have been. The "first Killdeer of the year" I saw Monday morning will be feeding along the roadsides for a week or so.

All the best,

SJS

20" +/- here with a lot of drifting. It was clearing by about 4 am when my weak bladder sent me down the stairs and I peeked out. When I went out to shovel, most of the snow was fluffy and dry, but the top inch or so was crusty so there was some wet snow/sleet/freezing rain mix right at the end.

I was watching recording buoys out in the Gulf of Maine last night and saw one wind gust of 99 mph. It was an outlier and the buoy went off-line soon thereafter so probably not accurate, but even the near shore unprotected sites were showing winds of 35-45 with gusts to 50+. Waves in the 15-25' range. It would have been a wild night if anyone was out there.

My hometown in northeast PA has 31" and still getting occasional flurries.
Snow is drifting really bad, old highschool friend who drives plow says they can't keep the roads open.

The "first Killdeer of the year" I saw Monday morning will be feeding along the roadsides for a week or so.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, I have yet to see any by my house, but before this storm was getting regular reports of peenting woodcock on a local birding list-serve. I'm guessing they have to head back south to find food--and from Tod's report, it's a long way south before they can find bare ground to forage on.

Snow up to my knees in the back yard, but I know we have had much more than that. It's still snowing & windy. Lots of Dark eyed Juncos, Black Squirrels and Greys at the feeder. Good natural light for painting, so that's what I'm doing.

When checking local trout streams a few days ago I saw some Robins...

Old Man Winter is gettin' in his last good shot of the winter and most likely into Spring. St. Pat's week usually brings this every so many years.

May be a unpleasant drive for those going to the Great Lakes Show in Westlake.

This could end up being quite a wildlife mortality event for critters that migrated and/or nested early due to the preceding warm weather.

Back