October "Whats on your Work Bench?"

WOW spent several hours today on these dudes knocked all 8 out gang painting. Up to this point my largest number in a continuous paint was 6. Went a lot faster than I thought, flash washed them out a little still might give them a couple washes on the pockets. 4 as gifts, 1 donation and 3 to finance further rigs.

P1020876.jpg

First, for Tod, I repainted my Mojo:

DSCN0936.jpg

Second, still no "workbench" per se, most of my work has been done in the carport, and my "shop" is the tiny utility room. I have 4 corkers to finish up.....as soon as my paint order shows up. 8 days before the opener.....

DSCN0937.jpg

DSCN0938.jpg

Another view of the low heads....from almost outside of the utility room "workshop"

DSCN0939.jpg

A package deal I put together for Missouri Waterfowl Assoc's dinner this weekend. some glaze and varnish and I'll be done

P1020877.jpg

A few decoys I'm adding to my Scoter rig. The Black is hollow Cottonwood with a Lombardi Poplar head. The WW's are HiD cork with Poplar heads and Alder tail boards. Jansen paint.

5115456469_961611b53c_z.jpg

5116057186_44f8b52e3d_z.jpg

Just 10 months...why do you ask. :) After seeing a post on one of the forums by Terry D. about projects hanging around the shop I decided that maybe I should get going on the old stuff myself....like the widgeons that were ready for paint in ......1999. :-( Man I'm dreading that job. :)

Was just curious is all, Brad. Must have taken months of contemplating the paint colors you were going to mix for the head and body color alone. But, it appears it worked out well for you. Once again, nice birds!

-GW

Believe it or not...it's just not black paint. :)...........and I'm sure that in two weeks I'll just anchor up down stream from the rig and net the dead and dying ducks as they float by laying on their backs laughing themselves to death!

Well Brad I'll try to avoid putting too many shot in them. They look pretty sweet without extra holes.

Grant I went out and collected that study drake gadwall we talked about, now all I have to do is cut it out and carve it. Oh then there is the painting part.

As I struggle to find "my style" I thought I would try my version of a Delaware style pair. I started with a football over head view and just used my rasp. I am starting to like where this bird is headed...

IMG00199-20101025-2110.jpg

Goldeneye, was finished, floating in the tank at the Chesepeake Challenge.

DSC05402.jpg

But........the hot sun and fresh oil paint was not a good combination, going back on the bench for some touch ups.

DSC05404.jpg

DSC05405.jpg

Got a little more painting to do on this Can.

DSC05282.jpg

Last edited:
I got inspired by [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Terry Desilets bluebill thread. I had this guy sitting in my office since 2006 It was my first bird I ever carved. Not sure why I never painted it. Backs a little dark but it fits in for he birds around here. Two more mallards on their way as well.

IMG_0705.jpg

[/font]

Finished up the Osprey for my old high school principal this week. He's not a duck Hunter but is an avid birdwatcher.

Nice Osprey Jode! I guess that it is a nice break from carving ducks. I got down in the basement tonight. All my tools finally showed up. I was waiting for the #8/16 gouge to finally get here to do the eye channels. i am practicing on the black heads before I go back to the hooded mergs. Just some much extra wood on the blacks. You are right, they must be magnum heads.

Back