oh yipee, I have plans for tomorrow...

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
Break out the #7 steel.

Per NOAA:

POSITIVE TIDAL DEPARTURES OF 1 1/2 TO 2 FT ARE EXPECTED AROUND THE
TIME OF HIGH TIDE.

Even better, the kayakers won't be out:

Rain, mainly after 11am. Patchy fog. High near 63. East wind between 9 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Last edited:
Todd, Hope you get into some.
I was thinking along the same lines.
I have been scouting the NJ marshes some and as of this Sunday past, the rail numbers were pretty thin.

Hopefully if your succesfull up there it won't be long before we get a good push of birds.

It is earlier in the year than when my best days have been, but oh boy, it should be easy pushing.

no need wasting "coarse" shot like 6's on such "soft" targets....

Good luck on the Rails tomorrow.....you got your marker buoys?

Steve

no need wasting "coarse" shot like 6's on such "soft" targets....

Good luck on the Rails tomorrow.....you got your marker buoys?

Steve

I have my buoys, if I didn't throw like a girl, they would be more effective.

Hey Todd,

We don't have the rail tides here until the end of next week. Unfortunately I've got to be in Newport for a boat show for the best of them but hope to get out on the 20th and/or the 21st in the afternoon. I was able to make a swap for a sweet little 20 g SXS hammer gun a couple of years ago and it is perfect for rail with a load of #8 steel. Probably the best tides will be the middle of October and the bonus of sleepy teal flushes. Let me know how you do with the rail.

Good luck, Bill

Bill, I agree, those moon tides are traditionally my best shooting, for numbers and diversity. With this weather system and East winds we have water piled up in the bays - the predicted departures are now + 1 1/2 to 2 1/2' on top of the typical tides, which makes the ho-hum tide for today a real treat and there isn't a whole lot of grass that can't be pushed if the tide comes in as predicted. I'm pushing salt marsh, not rice, so the tide needs to be up real well to be able to go. I haven't been out on a really good tide this early in September, so we will see what is out there.

I've not been pushing the marshes these past few years since there are usually soo many kayakers out and I do miss it. I'm hoping the rains and 20 knot winds will keep them at home.

Gus had us up all night last night with a cold that came on as we went to bed. I'm hoping to stave it off or at least have the strength to do my thing today.

Last edited:
Todd I was thinking about it but ended up in a corn field a little later than I expected this morning, then work called......now I'm beat. Oh well.

Hey Todd,

We don't have the rail tides here until the end of next week. Unfortunately I've got to be in Newport for a boat show for the best of them but hope to get out on the 20th and/or the 21st in the afternoon. I was able to make a swap for a sweet little 20 g SXS hammer gun a couple of years ago and it is perfect for rail with a load of #8 steel. Probably the best tides will be the middle of October and the bonus of sleepy teal flushes. Let me know how you do with the rail.

Good luck, Bill

Tide was okay and there were okay numbers of birds, unfortunately that mix results in less than okay numbers of birds to shoot at (you need either a great tide or a ton of birds, or better yet both to get a good shoot). I never uncased my gun (so I don't have to clean it, either), had 9 or 10 flushes, 4 or 5 were good flushes and would have been easy cannon fodder. All Sora. Saw Peregrine, Merlin and Harrier. Innumerable ducks, lots of herons of all sorts - I had some Marsh Wrens that held real well today too. Found a lawn chair that I brought home.

Todd: Have you seen any decent number of Rails yet? Are they in? I see this weekend as being best for Rail without a storm tide. I have not been out scouting recently. I was hoping to get out maybe on Friday or Monday. Not hunting your area. So no worries. Is your Snowgoose all done yet?

Stern

David,

Where do you rail hunt generally? NJ? In rice or salt marshes?

The past few years I haven't been hunting the moon tides, since it seems like the kayakers are out in full force every time I get out. These upcoming tides are usually good for me.

Snowgoose is back in the water!

T

Back