OK, Who wants to try their hand at carving?

Rutgers

Have you wanted to try your hand at carving decoys, but never took the plunge? There are a lot of reasons guys think about it but never do. I am working on putting together a starter package that will include some cedar or basswood heads, knife (knives) with interchangeable blades, a selection of gouges, blades, a strop etc. I'm trying to keep it as affordable as possible while still having good quality ALL AMERICAN MADE stuff. The sale of this will go to benefit the Rutgers Institute.

Here are a few questions that would help me out. I'm dealing with a manufacturer right now trying to negotiate a minimum order and better pricing. My main goal is to continue to expose as many people to carving as possible and help keep the tradition alive. I think one step towards this is keeping it affordable.

What species of heads would you be most interested in? I typically start people on mallards, simply because everyone knows what they look like. Being Amongst some serious waterfowlers here that know their ducks, I realize it could be a bit different.

I'm looking to keep the cost of the kit, tools, heads (4 or 5), and shipping under $50 delivered. I have a set idea on what I'd like to make for the institute on this so the better price I can get, the cheaper it will be. I'm not asking for a hard yes or no, but how many guys might be interested? This will help me in negotiating with the knife maker. Thanks so much for supporting the Rutgers Institute.

With Appreciation,

Paul

Yes, I'm in for one. We spoke on the shuttle bus at Tuckerton toward the end of the day saturday and this is along the lines of what you were telling me about. Bluebills are my main interest but a Mallard kit would be fine to get started with.

I think what you're doing is great. After talking with you for a few minutes that day I can really see your passion for the decoys and keeping people involved in making them.

This past saturday was the first time I hunted over a rig of decoys that I painted completely myself. I've not carved any yet but just hutning over my own painting was rewarding. Really makes it personal and special.

Thanks for what you're doing!

Gene Jr.

I would like to try it. Not many mallards in my area. Mainly buffleheads and mergansers in the marsh and wooducks inland.

I'm in, I'v wanted to go to your workshops badly but LaSalle is just to far, at least this time of year. This sounds like the next best thing.

I'd be willing to give it a go. I'd prefer a diver (preferably a canvasback) to a mallard. But if it works best costwise to get all the same species, then I'll take watever you decide to go with.

Last edited:
Paul,

I'm in. Species is not a huge deal. I shoot at mallards and woodies more than any other speices. Divers in the right year.

Tom

Paul,
I already carve so I dont need a kit. Its a great idea though and I will keep it in mind if I have someone else take interest.

I wanted to point out that Mallards are great starter birds for carving but I think when it comes time to paint a new carver would really have a hard time. Divers are a bit easier to paint and require less paint colors to get started. So if I had to pick a bird to start with I would say a Can or even a Scaup. You can paint both with two or three tubes of paint from a craft store.

Just my two cents.

I'm in for one. I have been waiting to get started and lack the start-up knowledge. This is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks for the great idea!

Thanks for all the interest fellas. I will hopefully get this nailed down with the knife maker this week and place an order. in the mean time, I am working up a few different head styles and patterns. I am thinking of offering 2 styles of heads. One is a more realistic Michigan style, and the other will be Shourds/Hillman patterns for guys who like something a bit more stylized (South Jersey). These will be for gunning decoys, and not highly detailed like a IWCA type bird. I hope that you all eventually end up hunting the decoys you make at is brings the whole process full circle and gives you more enjoyment of the fruits of your labor.

For $50 or less, I'm definitely in. Would probably go a little higher, if I had to!

I'd definitely prefer a blackduck or a canvasback, but as long as its a commonly hunted duck, I'm cool.

Thanks for providing this opportunity!

NR

Back