Old lower columbia duck skiffs?

Zach Houvener

Does anyone know of a place either online or in book form that shows some old astoria duck skiffs? I have seen a few of them, one especially made by charles bergman that was very cool looking. Someday I would like to build a boat that has the lines of some of these boats of the lower columbia...

P.S. anyone know a company that sells plans along these type of lines?
3947109738_4f0ec50948.jpg

Thanks
Zach

No help, but that is a beaut! It would be a good design to do in stitch and glue.

T

Zach

I don't know if you've contacted or visited the Columbia River Maritime Museum in Astoria. They have a nice collection of decoys and duck skiffs from the area. You might contact the curator or librarian for info.

Brad

edit for new info, I just remembered this page.
http://www.decoy.net/skiffs.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I have been thinking of building a boat just like that. I had settle on the pole boat but thats got my head spinning again. Its even a local style.

Thanks for posting that,

Chris

Man I have been thinking of building a boat just like that. I had settle on the pole boat but thats got my head spinning again. Its even a local style.

Thanks for posting that,

Chris

That boat would be super easy to copy in stitch and glue, maybe easier than building a poleboat. Trace the sides and bottom on paper, cut the sides and bottom out and stitch the front and back fo the sides together then set it on the bottom and stitch to the bottom, fillet and glass. With a deck I don't even know if you would need knees, you woudl need the bottom strengthened if you went with 1/4" plywood.

T

Have you checked out the museum in Kelso? They had a nice collection of decoys and also a skiff, can't remember the maker, on display there some years ago. After I was there they had a vehicle run into the building and it damaged part of the display so they removed it but were going to restore the display and put it back out last I heard. I'd call first unless you are in the area. It's just off the freeway a few blocks.

Very Cool! Thanks for posting that Zach and Brad. I'm still new to hunting here in WA and it's cool to learn some history of duck hunting around here! Anyone have any info on the history of hunting in the inland northwest?!

Very Cool! Thanks for posting that Zach and Brad. I'm still new to hunting here in WA and it's cool to learn some history of duck hunting around here! Anyone have any info on the history of hunting in the inland northwest?!

Hey D, Those blocks on both sides of the cockpit are for putting your spinners.

T

http://www.adirondack-guide-boat.com/

Those Astoria skiffs remind me of the adirondack guide boats. Just a little lower ends and decked. One of the greatest boats to row and fish out of I have been told.

There are several canvas over wood or cedar strip plan sets out there for adirondack guide boats, you just have to spend some time hunting for them.

A book:

Building the Maine Guide Canoe
by Jerry Stelmok

Devlin had a design very close to that but not a double end I think called the mud peep. He may also have a double end that he changed as a rowing skiff.
Louie

Seeing classic skiffs and sneakboats, always makes long to see motors outlawed for duck hunting, but until Todd poo-poos spinning prop motors on boats, I'm destined to take the easy road, at least on big water.

Seeing classic skiffs and sneakboats, always makes long to see motors outlawed for duck hunting, but until Todd poo-poos spinning prop motors on boats, I'm destined to take the easy road, at least on big water.

I've never rowed a well built skiff like that to and from the hunting grounds, but it would be cool. In my puritan period of no motors, I was using a pirogue type marsh boat and mostly poled. I love the rythum of loading up the pole and the glide, one of the best feelings in the world. I expct gliding through the darkness in a responsive skiff would be similar.

A classic decked skiff that rowed well with oars would be great, but it will be a long time before I would give up a motor. The feeling of skimming along at 20 knots at 20 degrees in a 20 mph wind with a tear in one eye is one of those feelings too. That and it woudl suck rowing 2 miles to hunt!

Last edited:
Tod

Since I hunt the same area where those boats were used, I can tell you that 20+ mph winds are common and a 2 mile row would be relatively short for many of the islands. The McGregor Island mentioned in the text is at least 2 miles out and the average water depth getting there would be about 3-8 feet (with a tidal range of another 5 feet up and down). So rowing one of those boats for hunting would really suck. Thats why they had duck shacks out in the marsh.

My little 6hp johnson died early this season and I've paddled a heavy, square, 12ft. flat bottom boat with a canoe paddle the last 5 or 6 times I've went out. I think a skiff designed to row with oars would be great right about now! I bought 2 for 1 plans from Devlin for the Broadbill and the Mallard for that very reason, to row. It will probably be cheaper to build a broadbill than to buy a new outboard anyway! I live on the eastside of WA and never go more than a mile anyway so I think rowing might be the ticket for me! I need the exercise in the winter anyway!

clearly as the end of a long season looms just two full days ahead people are losing thier minds.....

Derek....I'm saving this line from your post....

" It will probably be cheaper to build a broadbill than to buy a new outboard anyway"!

If, once you have the broadbill built, you find that it was cheaper than a 6 horse motor then I'll bring the libations to Spokane for the christening and also promise to take Tod out behind the boat ramp and to summarily whup his ass the next time he braces you for use of a spinner......

Now, since Todd and I are friends, and since I have no desire to "whup his ass" you can be rest assured that unless you substitute that corrugated plastic sign material for the plywood in the boat that you won't be seeing me and any libations at the boat ramp and the only thing that Todd and I will be doing out behind the boat ramp is having a drinnk and catching up on stuff like his dog not liking my dog and whether he likes his new Model 97.....

Until then....CARRY ON.......

Steve

(disclaimer.....smiley face, winky face, smiley face, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum, repeat, repeat, repeat).....

Back