Onyx M24 PFD

Ed,

Only my opinion...Given the unknown...If you go over unconscious the manual type really does not do it's job...I would recommend wearing a normal, not co2 activated life vest until you are comfortable with where you are hunting...I know these designs do disappear on you because of size, are comfortable, and innovative...It might be used in the boat as a secondary...Alot of guys wear them but I would not chance it...Being an engineer of design and manufacturing I have some understanding of statistics...Anything mechanical will fail in time..I do not want to find that failure mode...Your life and experiences through this web page are worth more than $99...Buy a standard vest...I viewed the same page and found a standard model for $29.00...Save the money and buy more shells...

Regards,

Kristan

Thanks for the insight Kristan. I really hope I'm never in that state when I'm out on the water but things do happen. I usually wear a flotation coat but man it's hot down here and was thinking of something cooler.

Ed L.

I agree with Kristan, however, I'm also a realist. The vast majority of people entering the water do so fully conscious. I am more likely to wear my vest if it is comfortable and out of the way. Unless you plan on wearing it the whole time you are hunting, I would skip the camouflage. I wear it only when running out and back.

Ours were bought to use in the summer as well as for hunting, so comfort and visibility is important.

Consider this at West Marine:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=10997450&cid=2011Annual

Consider purchasing one of the c02 operated models along wiyh 1 or 2 extra cartridges. Then while it is still warm out, jump in and test it out, see how it opens with your gear on, and get comfortable with it.

I know it hot down there ED. We want to keep you safe. I was thinking a full body suit covered with steel mesh remember there are Alligators there and you can't be to careful. It probably protect you against snake bite too.. Hey you can't beat that, A twofer

Top it off with a sqeeter net on you hat. you will be set.... but like you said It is hot....and you can't live for ever...

Take care Ed and if you ever need advice I will always glad to give it ( ; ) Pete

I noticed on the last couple of seasons of "Deadleist Catch" the deck hands are wearing inflatables, probably Mustangs.

Back