Opinions on Benelli M2

Brian Story

Looking at a shotgun upgrade this year. Anyone using the Benelli M2? Pros/cons? I don't need the 3 1/2 inch in the SBE. Thanks for any and all inputs.

Brian

the "major" differences in the two are.....

Cryo barrel....of value ot high volume shooters like S.A. Dove and Pigeon hunters but I'm told of NO value to duck hunters. PLUS any chokes that you have that fit the old Benelli's won't fit the new Benelli's

Stainless steel spring inside recoil spring tube that is accessible for cleaning through the stock....a good feature but for the difference in price you can get an aftermarket ALL STAINLESS tube and spring and be WAY ahead in cash left over

A bigger trigger guard so taht you can shoot with gloves....I shoot with gloves and never had a problem with the original trigger guards

An softer recoil pad that is removable without having to remove screws...a nice feature if you make your gun with a recoil tube that has to be cleaned.....get the afterrmarket tube that doesn't have to be cleaned, get one of the better pad and like above you'll have a big wad of cash in your pocket to buy me a beer with for saving you so much money

Little recoil reducing rubber chevrons in the stock.....I'm not an engineer but I've looked at these chevrons and if they do anyting to reduce recoil I can't see how....they are stand alone and totally surrounded by a "rigid" stock....so someone tell me how they absorb recoil is they can't compress and therefore store the energy they absorb?

Thats about it....you can get "LIKE NEW", in fact I know one on this site right now that is so close to being new you wouldn't know it wasn't, for SEVERAL hundred dollars less than a new M2....you won't have the latest LEXUS but you'll have virtually the identical gun at a huge savings.....Contact Gregg Kurz if you want to talk to him about his M1....

Steve

Dear Brian,

I bought one in 20 gauge the middle of last Duck season, and took it on a layout hunt that weekend. Never fired a shot through it beforehand. I missed the first few ducks, and then started connecting reasonably well. Shoulda took it to a Clays course first. I have done so since, and the more I use this gun, the more I love it!

Like you, I don't need a 3.5" gun, nor do I feel I need a 12 guage gun, while in the layout boats. This composite stock gun is extremely lightweight, points fast, and thus makes the perfect gun for the type of hunting that I most often find myself doing.

Good luck in your choice, and God Bless!

Mark Rongers
mightylayoutboys.com

Thanks for the replies. Steve-I'll buy you a beer anytime.......My upgrade is from my 870 to a semiauto. I love my 870, but since I WON the Pitboss seaduck hunt, I'm looking for an extra gun and a good one.

Thanks.
Brian

Brian,

I can't help you with the M2 either but I do have an M1 Super 90 in 12 ga. that I could sell. Not that I don't like it, but I don't need two Benelli's and my 12 year old SBE is still going strong. This M1 has only had maybe 4-5 boxes of shells through it and at least half were target loads. Almost new, original case, chokes, shims, etc. PM me if you are interested.

Pete

Actually, I prefer a pump gun when hunting sea ducks. It causes you to pause, readjust, and pick your shots more carefully. I've seen guys miss and miss big-time with a semi-auto. They are either behind, below, or both and they'll miss all three shots on a passing bird. The pump gives you that split second to correct your lead and pull the barrel through the bird and get the right lead and range. I'd definitely bring your pump gun on the hunt with Jeff. Shoot both and see which you like better.

Nate

I have a M2 and love it, i had already had a 935 so wanted to upgrade to the M2 and not the SBE2. fits me very well,light and stays very clean because it is inertia driven. put 1000 rounds through it this summer and it hasnt had any malfunctions. was also looking in to the beretta 391 urika but this one fit so well.

Back