Oscar Quam cork decoys?

Troy~

Interesting! They look like some Broadbill a friend - from New Hampshire - gave me a couple of years back. I, too, presumed they were home-made.

Hope someone knows more about them!

SJS

I may have an early '60's catalog kicking around, likely one of their last. Had 6 Quam bluebill from that era. No bottom boards on the base models; not even on the "presidential" grade, which had tail boards. Lead weights on keel had "Quam" molded into them. Would guess yours are not Quams, though have seen similar Minnesota birds to the photos.

Thanks Tom. I too noticed that the Quam photos I have seen did not have any boards on the bottom. Somebody mentioned that they may be Tuveson decoys. The board matches that line but I can't find any body type that matches what I have, both in the lines and also the dowel in tail section.

OSCAR QUAM COMPANY Spicer , Minn.

1928 - 1960's

Minneapolis , Minn. ad address

Regular size decoys $12.00 a dozen.

Large size $17.50 doz.

Extra large $20.00 doz.

Geese $2.50 each

Extra Large Geese $3.50 each

No bottom boards

Ballast weight had raised letters Quam

Ad from 1945 Outdoor Life.

For those not totally familiar with Quam Decoys and Calls, his granddaughter and her spouse did make "Quam" decoys long after Oscar passed.
Another descendant, I think a granddaughter usually showed up at the annual February Minnesota decoy collectors show in the Metro Mpls area
and I think they were selling calls. I didn't pay much attention as I have enough Quam calls!

Quam decoys, and calls would show up in dealers, and vendors rooms back in the day at the ODCCA Westlake Show.

Tuveson decoys as well. They have the "humped" back that is their look.

If I recall Dean Dashner, and his mom always had some of each in their room, along with all their books, and memorabilia. A person could get lost looking at all the things they had.

That's what was so amazing about the old ODCCA show.

Decoy folks from all four flyways, and from north to south would show up, all in one place.

It would take four days to go through all the rooms and displays. Learning, listening and getting to see and handle decoys, calls. etc. that you would not see except for in books and magazines

The educational value of the show was well worth the membership, motel, food, contest, and drink cost.

Nothing beats meeting new people at such shows, and seeing first hand for oneself.

Best regards
Vince

RL -

Thank you.

You and I had to cross paths there.

Always so many folks from all over, gathering and talking about the things we love.

Those were the days...

Best regards
Vince

Thanks for the responses everybody. Tod, I agree, I thought that would certainly be an "identifying" trait.

The consensus is that they are not Quam decoys, possibly Tuveson and another name of Hansell has been thrown into the conversation. The bottom board seems to be the game changer between the carvers mentioned. The body lines, at least to me and what I could find on the internet, still look like Quam, but there are not any other of his identifying marks on the decoys. Nonetheless, glad I have them , certainly not money blocks and it looks like they were from the Minnesota area and approx. 75 years old +/- No matter the case, they are somewhat interesting and will most likely get sealed as is and floated in Rangeley along with some mallards and blacks. Thanks again to all that responded.

Troy -

Hansells Cork Decoys, Gopher Sports Supply Co. Minneapolis, Minn. are a possibility for sure.

The tail of the Hansell decoys appear higher than the Tuveson decoys.

Neither of the ads, or photo's for each company, mention, or show the "butt plug"...

Tuverson decoys did making flying decoys, of cedar, with canvas wings, circa 1930.

Very little is known about Hansell Decoys.

Either way ya did good, and using old decoys for what they were indented for is a class act.

May you enjoy them for many season.

Best regards
Vince

Thank you Vince, appreciate all you have lent to this . Hopefully this fall I can post a picture or two of these with the fruits of which they were intended on fooling. Thanks again!

The Rupple decoys I have seen have a much better and well carved head, especially at the base of the bill.

Body shape is similar, and is a Minn. and WI style.

Who knows...?

The mystery continues.

Best regards
Vince

Back