outboard dilemma-Decision Made

Phil

First of all I would like to thank everybody for their input it was very helpful in making my decision. After thinking about and going thru all the pro's and con's I'm 95% sure I'll be going with a new Yamaha. Unlike years pass next year and the foreseeable future I'll be hunting alone (with one of my labs of-course). My work schedule has me working every Saturday with Monday and Fridays off, my hunting days. All I could think about was being out there in January ready to get back to the ramp and I can't get my motor started all because I didn't want to spend the extra money (cheap bastard). I probably wouldn't be cold because I would be rowing my Estuary against the current back to the ramp. So for peace of mind, for the next couple of months I'll be working some overtime to pay for a new outboard.
Thanks Again
Phil

Last edited:
Which 1980s 15 2 stroke?
If it is a Johnson/Evinrude, they are quite possible one of the most reliable engines ever made.
I had a 1986 9.9 that I ran from 1997-1999 and it was great little motor.
However, you need to run it, on the water if possible. Check the compression. Etc..
$800.00 sounds a little high to me, but then they are great engines and always in demand.
How is he going to back it up, in writing I hope?
Look around some more & see if you can find one closer.

I have had both new and used engines both can have problems.
If you buy the 800 dollar 10hr trip and have 2 minor problems.
You will have 30hrs driving and a 20 year old engine.
If you buy the 2400 dollar engine you will have a factory warranty, keep it for 20 years then sell if for 800 dollars, how much did it cost you?
I would buy the new one.
One note I was not a fan of 4 strokes on small duck boats till my friend put a suzuki 15 4 stroke on his south bay.
It sips gas, its very quite, he has had if for a couple of years and is starts most of the time one pull.

Phil....New Estuary..........Come on............Ya gotta get the new motor!!!!!!!!!!! Im with Bill, Why take a chance, Buy new.

Without a doubt I would spend the extra on a new one. I know an extra $1400 can be tough to come by, but your buying something more than 20 years newer. No matter how good a product is, there is still a shelf life on it. Those 9.9 and 15hp Johnson/Evinrude's were great motors for a very long time, but so the Yamaha! That Yamaha motor has now been made equally as long and without any known problems, just like the OMC. I know everyone has their preference of OMC vs. Yamaha vs. merc. vs. etc. etc. etc. At least with the Yamaha you are getting a warranty, and isnt it a 6 year warranty right now? I can tell you that in the Northwest, including Alaska, where Evinrude/Johnson used to be considered King, Yamaha is now by far the prefered motor of choice, and for good reason.

Condition is everything in used motors. Getting a good evaluation of the used motor would be wise. Find out how long the mechanic will back this motor 100% and if parts or the whole motor is included. Find out what type of parts have been replaced by him if any. A new water pump and housing would be good since the cooling system is needed to prevent other damage that would be more costly from over heating. An eighties motor with the power pack system of ignition would be better than and older model that uses points an condenser. If your mechanic is 5 hours away, than does this matter for any type of motor or can you get one serviced closer after you buy it? New is good if you expect to keep it and use it for some years. Not having the worries of something used and getting a warranty is plus. The 2 stroke will be lighter in weight than the 4 stroke if that is your concern. Most motors are foreign made, and the Yamaha has the style of a Johnson but HP is rated at the prop. The next thing is to find out the problems and the reliability of the one you want.

I have no idea what "you" should do (cause there's a lot of stuff about you or where or how you hunt that I don't have a clue about) but if it was me, I'd be buying new IF I could afford it... Bottom line when you're comparing new vs 20 years old, law of averages, to me anyway, says I have a better chance of the newer one (especially a Yammy) not leaving me stranded, and in duck hunting weather/conditions, that is worth a ton!

Best of luck which ever direction you go!

Not to hijack... But what does everyone think of Tohatsu? I am in a similar situation: I bought a boat through a friend with an 08 9.9 tohatsu 4 stroke. After I bought the boat and spent a little more time with it, I realized that the '08 9.9hp was actually an '04 8hp bought as a leftover. (I'm just letting it go... it's better that way).

Anyhoo, I'm looking at 4 stroke Yamahas in the 15 hp range, but Tohatsu's 15hp is about $400cheaper ($2009) shipped to my door. Any reason (other than the Yamaha dealer is 3 miles from my house) to steer clear of a Tohatsu in this class?

Please excuse me if I hi-jacked the thread, I just thought my question could provide some good info pertaining to the topic.

Incidentally, an 18hp is only another $370 and is the same weight...

i pm phil this but apparently there is more people that need to see it. I love tohatsu even though i probably cant spell it my buddies all have them and they are the best in my opinion i am picking up one this summer from here an you should check it out www.onlineoutboards.com .no tax free shipping......good luck

Phil,

If at all possible i would go new , i always had old outboards and een though they all ran well there was always that thought in the back of my head , is this thing going to crap out at 4 am ? I bought a new Honda 4 stroke 30 and would not trade it for anything , this motor has never let us down . weather is is 1 degree or 100 it starts and runs . Good luck with your choice remember the safety aspect it is worth it .

Dave M

For my southbay and barnaget I have a tohatsu 2 stroke 9.9 and 18 I have no problems with them at all.
Tohatsu makes a great running motor.
I had a merc for 20 something years of great service and let it go in perfect running condition. I like the merc better for one reason.
The tiller had the shift on the throttle which I feel is a great place for it when setting decoys.

I was going to put a 4 stroke 15 Yamadog on my 14' jon boat, but it was so much heavier than a 2 stroke 15 that I chose the 2 stroke and have been delighted. This from a guy who talked against foriegn motors till I bought one. Some of the old OMC's and mercs can be great but you are really gambling. If it breaks you coud easily wind up paying more to keep it going than the cost of a new one regardless of what the seller tells you now (been there done that). Make payments if you have to, but buy a new motor. You will be safer and more satisfied.
JMO,
Harry

I have a Nissan which is basically the Tahatsu I believe?? I have a 6hp 4-stroke kicker that I've had since 2001 and it's been flawless, so I've yet to find one negative thing about it? I use it a lot during fishing season. During duck hunting season, I only start it about twice a season, just to see if it will really run in minus temps after handing on the back of the boat for months not being started, and it fires up somewhere between the 1st and 3rd pull in those temps!

Phil,
A late 80's Johnson 15hp was just sold on ebay for $910. This may be similar to the motor you're looking at, but it's in a comparable time frame and price range. I had it on my watch list and had decided that if it was in the $400-$500 range, I'd think about it. Once I was looking at paying nearly half the cost of a new motor for one that's 20 years old, I decided against it. I have a 97 Evinrude 25hp on my old boat, and while it's a little cranky at first, I've come to expect it and it doesn't worry me in the least. I'll always love the OMC's, but everything does indeed wear out - I would just prefer it not wear out at 5pm in January in the middle of the marsh with an outgoing tide... My vote is put a new motor on your boat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mp;item=140301830947

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Nissan 18 hp 2 stroke with electric start. Nissan & Tohatsu are the same motors except the stickers.
This motor has been run hard for almost 10 years. Some years, it has been on the water either fishing or duck hunting 60 days out of the year. Has not been babied, only had the lower unit oil changed twice, never changed the impeller, plugs once and one carberator cleaning after I got water in the fuel. Have chewed up 4 aluminum props slugging through shallow clam & oyster shell infested muck & sand with no damage to the lower unit seal or shaft. Not one single repair in 10 years. Starts great, a little cold-natured but not a problem a little choke manipulations doesnt resolve quickly.
I simply love this engine. I cant say enough good things about it. I've never heard a bad word about Nissan or Tohatsu outboards.
If the 4 strokes are only half as good, you would still be getting a great motor.

Nothing wrong with a new motor except the pocket book. Buying used, you can pick up used motors as good as new. I have seen this time after time. A fellow who does not fish much decides to get in to it. Of course he needs a new boat and motor. The fishing magazine tells him so. First year eager fisherman goes out five times. Isn't to successful but he has a new boat and motor. The second year not quite as eager but he has a new boat and motor. He goes out three times but he has other thing to do besides fishing. The third year he goes out once. The charm of the new boat and motor has worn off. Then the boat and motor sit for five years. His wife finally gets after him. Get rid of it. He might hang on to it for a few more years but it is basically a brand new motor.

This is what you are looking for. Hardly a scratch on it. The original prop no big dings or scratches. Might be dusty but that's good, means it hasn't been used much. You might have to buy the boat and motor. Figure out what the boat is worth add a little bit for the motor. Sell the boat. Chances are he bought the boat and motor together as a package and has not an idea what the motor is worth.

By the way don't buy it if the fellow was a duck hunter. Tax time is a good time to buy.

If it were me... New motor is a lot of $ and used motor is too far away. Do you really need the motor now? If not, then there is some time to try and pick up a used motor from nearby and for less money or to bargain for a new motor. If you don't find something acceptable then maybe the new motors will go on sale as the motorboat season winds down late summer? Others on this site probably have a better sense of when the best time to buy new is.

I run a 1983 Mariner 15 hp 2-stroke on a TDB 14 classic. Its a nice combo. Even so, I'd prefer to run a 4-stroke except for the extra weight. I don't trailer with my motor on because I don't trust my TDB's motor board. It just doesn't look that sturdy to me. I can wrestle the 2-stroke on and off ok but a 4-stroke is just too heavy for me to do this regularly. I think the equivalent weight 4-stroke is something like 8 hp which is not powerful enough for my needs. I must confess to not knowing anything about the boat you're getting.

I see lots of used motors for sale on Craigslist and probably more will get advertised as boating season approaches. Consider waiting for a better deal to come along. Good luck.

Is the 800 motor from a dealer with a business or a free lance guy. Dealer - OK deal. Otherwise buy new.

Phil, i know costs vary from location to location, but $800 seems high. You could pick that same motor in our area for half that much. Last fall I picked up a 90's Evinrude 25hp 2 stoke w/ electric start for $600 and my friend who is a marine dealer thought I over payed.

A number of the smaller Mariners during that time period were Yammies in Mariner clothing. Bud of mine had a 40 Mariner built in '84 I think and it ran super until last year when he sank the boat,hit a partially submerged log while running wide open in the dark and tore the bottom wide open. He salvaged but sold the motor to a guy who is still using it.

I have changed my tune, I used to be against foreign motors. Now I have a Yamaha 15 hp 2 stroke and have been more than pleased with it.

I have heard only good about Nissan/Tohatsu especially the 18 hp.

Best,
Harry

Back