parker duck boat paint?

Bill Ferrar

I opened a gallon can of parker paint and started painting my outboard.
The paint took days to dry and it dried to a shiny finish, not a flat finish.
Is parker paints known to finish with a shiny gloss rather that flat?

Not that I know of. I used parkers paint on my sneakbox it worked great. Something must be wrong with that gallon. It should not take that long to dry. Was it mixed real well before use? I would call them and see what they can do for you.

Bill,

I'm not a big fan of Parkers paint. I will only use Interlux Interprotect 2000E epoxy primer and Pettit or Interlux topside paints. The one and only time I used parker paint I had poor results. The only reason I used it was because my supplier was out of the other paints and I need to get the boat done. I ended up sanding the Parker paint off and doing it over.
Just my one and only experience with their product.

Bill,

I've never used Parkers before so I don't have an answer for you. If I don't use FME from Lock, Stock and Barrel. I use Hunters Specialties. That's what I'm using on this boat. I got the first coat on last night.

IMG_20120928_054728.jpg

I was done by 8:00pm and the boat was dry to the touch when I went to bed at 10:00pm.

I know this doesn't help you now but if you're looking for an alternative to paint over the Parkers I'll offer this.

http://www.hunterspec.com/content/permanent-camo-paint

The boat in the DU raffle in the stickey posts at the top of the page was painted with parkers. You can see what it should look like

I also had an issue last month with a quart of Parkers "Hunter Green". I've been using it for 20 years and it was my first problem. I took the stir stick to Home Depot to scan and had them make me another quart.

I have had Parkers come up shiney too, it was 3 year old paint though.
I know it must be mixed very good for it to come out right

I would question the age of the paint. Old paint with suspended particles in it like camo type paint has takes longer to dry and that gives the suspended particles time to settle out.

I just sprayed dead grass Parkers on an aluminum jon boat this week. I thinned it out by almost 20% with paint thinner to get it to spray easily. Went on on top of inexpensive automotive etch primer. Used multiple thin coats waiting for it to flash between coats. I've painted old trucks flat black & thin coats flashing between coats helps it to dry flat. It did dry the tiniest bit shiny but I expect it to dull with exposure to the sun.

I also sprayed rustoleum flat black in patches to break up the outline after the Parkers flashed. Drying was not an issue but I would not overspray with Rustoleum the same day again. I got some runs with the Rustoleum.

Bill,
Sounds to me like you didn't shake the paint up completely and the flattener stayed on the bottom of the can.
Lou

I will bring it to work and put it on the paint shaker. If it still shines can I add a flattener?

Bill,
How old is the paint? Is there a "sludge" on the bottom of the can? If you can't get the paint to dull down with shaking....I'd dispose of it and get new paint. That would mean that something was wrong to begin with.

I always store my paint cans upside down and if there's a sludge, it needs shaking. Upside down also keeps the air out of it and prevents a skin from forming on the paint.
Holler with questions.
Lou

I've never had a problem with Parker's paint. Been using it since the late 70's and it's my preference. I do use other brands but only to get colors Parker does not offer.

Before I use any paint on a job I care about I bring it to a local paint store & have them shake it. If they aren't open I make a stirrer out of coat hanger wire, put same in an electric drill & mix it myself with

That was my first thought: didnt mix it well enough.
I had the samem thing happen with a can of FME years ago. Painted 6 canvasback heads and they came out shiny & tacky. A quick email to Lou got me straightened out, mix your paint better he said. It worked..
Glad it worked out for you too.

Back