Pat Gregory Ruddy on a calm day

Capt. John

The last day I hunted this season was so calm the water looked like glass. I had my ruddy pair out to try and fool any suspicious birds. I love this pair, its a Pat Gregory hen and R. Mitchell cork drake. I actually had an owl attack the drake earlier this year and scratch him up a bit. I had three hen ringers come in this last morning and one got curious and went bill to bill with the hen decoy for a moment, it was cool to see. It just looked like she was sizing up the other woman on the pond. Anyway, I really liked this picture.

100_0672_zpse9cfd397.jpg

Pat, you must be the last man standing that would hunt one of Madison's decoys...especially cork, which in my opinion was his best work.

Mike, I dont want to confuse anyone. Its done by Robert J. Mitchell. Not Madison. I really dont know to much on collector decoys. I just like to hunt over cork and I collect ruddy deeks. R.J. Mitchell is one of the few carvers I have found that sells ruddy deeks. I about fell over when I got the chance at one of Pats. The drake is not very old. Maybe three or four years at best.

John - Wonderful picture and, thank you for the kind words. And, I totally appreciate you hunting my decoy. In my humble opinion, other than the off-season, putting a good gunner on a shelf is the death of it. I encourage all collectors and carvers to do what you are doing, gun your hand carved decoys whether you carve them or collect them, whether you compete them or, are selling them to a collector, allow them to do what they are made to do... Thank you again my friend for sharing your goodness...

Back