pics/lesson and a couple surprizes

Now that was nothing but pure pleasure to look at those pictures, Sarge. Thanks. Really liked that leucistic mallard. Great thread.
Al

Nice photos. Isn't it great to get out and enjoy the outdoors while taking photos of the great things you see. I would like to get a better camera and spend more time photographing the wild.

Thanks Jeff - Give it a try - you can always rent some gear pretty cheap to see what it's like. I will get the last day of goose season in (for me) this saturday and then I just keep going whenever I want until April with the camera, BBSB and deeks - it's a blast.
sarge

Thanks Al - I almost did not post the mallard shot thinking it was probably just some halfbreed but I am always amazed at how much info is out there in DBDN and this is just another example !
sarge

Wow Hank - what a nice bag, great shot and I'll bet you have a good spot up there !
sarge

Sarge, last night got me thinking about these "blonde" hens we have seen. I killed mine in 2005, we had one land long on Champlain the year before (04'), in 2006 we had one in the decoys while we were working a big group of Canadas, we lost the honks and the hen got out without a shot fired. Later that fall we saw another in with a large group of mallards and blacks (this may have been the same one as it was pretty close to the first sighting). Oh yeah, the first sighting of 2006 was the EXACT same location of the one shot in 2005.

I also killed this one in 2007, it is obviously not near as buff colored as the others, but it is alot lighter than a regular hen and really stood out in the bunch that came in. The pictures really do not show how light it really was. Also funny, the 2007 bird was killed in the same spot that we had the 2004 bird land long, both of these are strange as we hunt alot of different locations throughout the season.

We have not seen one since......

1987454082071.jpg

2080554082071.jpg

Hank - That certainly is a heck of a coincidence. I will be trying to get another, better shot of the bird that I saw as the birds are ganged up in a specific area. Maybe there are wildlife science people on the site here who can shed more "light" on the subject.
I didn't say that !
sarge

My thoughts are that's it's just a snowy mallard. There are several domestic varieties of mallards, as there are with wood ducks (silver, apricot, white), and alot of others (i.e. silver redheads, silver fulvous, etc.). Here's the lionk to feathersite's mallard page. I have an old white mallard drake. Just can't get too excited about trying to find him a hen.

Clint

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/NDG/Ducks/BRKMallards.html

Back