plywood joints

wendell avery

Has anyone tried a "puzzle joint" rather than a traditional scarf joint? clcboats out of MD offers plywood with a puzzle joint they claim meets the 8:1 scarf joint standard.

Wendell
I have not puzzled that one out yet.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber
Its all about Building that Bond.

Wendell
I think the 8-1 scaffjoint would be a lot stronger due to the fact of the glueing area, providing the scarffjoinf was done ploperly with apoxy, it would be a hard joint to beat.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

Has anyone tried a "puzzle joint" rather than a traditional scarf joint? clcboats out of MD offers plywood with a puzzle joint they claim meets the 8:1 scarf joint standard.

Just do a regular scarf yourself, there are so many ways to do it, each easier than the next.

You can buy an attachment for a skil saw - easy.
You can stack and sand with a hand held belt sander - easy (my second choice).
You can cut them on end in a 10" or larger table saw - easy (my first choice).

If you haven't seen one of these boats in person, I have a well-used and well-loved snowgoose in Newtown.

T

Tod-
please explain your first choice of cutting for a scarf joint. I'm not sure I get it.

-TD

Tom, I did my scarfs for my snowgoose with the table saw. You basically tilt the blade an appropriate angle for an 8:1 and run the sheet through the saw standing on its 4' edge, which requires a modified fence to hold it plumb when cutting. The sheet of plywood needs a straight board clamped to it to keep the plywood from falling into the blade once cut. I build the jig and cut all my scarfs in a morning by myself.

I have pics somewhere, I'll post if I can.

Tod-
please explain your first choice of cutting for a scarf joint. I'm not sure I get it.

-TD

Tom, I did my scarfs for my snowgoose with the table saw. You basically tilt the blade an appropriate angle for an 8:1 and run the sheet through the saw standing on its 4' edge, which requires a modified fence to hold it plumb when cutting. The sheet of plywood needs a straight board clamped to it to keep the plywood from falling into the blade once cut. I build the jig and cut all my scarfs in a morning by myself.

Tod-

-TD

I can't find my pics Tom, I have the final product that shows how perfect they were, but not the jig. If you are interested it is easy to describe in detail.

Tom
Im about to a Devlin mallard I have sent over to the states for a Gougeon brothers scaffer attatment like Eric used on his scaup.
Take care and God Bless
Eddie and Amber

OK, I found them (work 'puter backup).

Jig set up. Extended fence is 3/4" MDF and squared up with table with a couple supports to make it rigid and hold square. This was a quickie setup and worked great. I didn't figgure I'd do much full panel scarfing - and I haven't so I'm glad I didn't make a nicer jig.

Scarfing-jig021.jpg

Sheet in saw (note I'm doing this my myself, it would be really easy with help). See the board clamped to the panel - that board rides on the extended fence and holds the plywood from falling into the blade.

Scarfing-jig011.jpg

Extra strong "feather boards" served as extra hands to keep the ply against the fence.

Scarfing-jig031.jpg

Finished product. 4 sheets 3/8" Meranti.

Scarfing-jig041.jpg

Sheet in saw (note I'm doing this my myself, it would be really easy with help).

Tod,

If you had help, would they be leaning out the upstairs window feeding it through? I don't doubt it worked, but honestly, even seeing the pictures, I don't think I'd go that route...maybe I'm just a chicken...or maybe I know I'm accident prone, and Murphy's Law would definately take over that operation if I were in charge.

Chuck

Sheet in saw (note I'm doing this my myself, it would be really easy with help).

Tod,

If you had help, would they be leaning out the upstairs window feeding it through? I don't doubt it worked, but honestly, even seeing the pictures, I don't think I'd go that route...maybe I'm just a chicken...or maybe I know I'm accident prone, and Murphy's Law would definately take over that operation if I were in charge.

Chuck

I don't know what to say Chuck, it was easy, fast and perfect the first time. I ran wax on the glide board on the fence and pushed it through, given the support you can stop at any point in the cut (once youget the first little bit done).

Yeah, that Murphy guy and his Law have been plagueing me my entire life. Glad it worked for you, but if I tried it, I'm sure I'd ruin at least one saw blade, likely mess up at least one sheet of ply, possibly draw blood, and there is also a good chance of breaking a window...maybe even a second story window...but that's just me. (insert strategic punctuation here to make a smiley face for those how don't get my sense of humor)

Chuck

Tod,

I'll offer a suggestion which may help ease the concerns of this being a safe endeavor. Modifying the support board which runs along the top edge of the fence as shown in my drawing, whould also help in keeping the sheet vertical during the cutting process.

View attachment scarf.jpg

Tod,

I'll offer a suggestion which may help ease the concerns of this being a safe endeavor. Modifying the support board which runs along the top edge of the fence as shown in my drawing, whould also help in keeping the sheet vertical during the cutting process.

That would work great, good idea.

Back