Poke boat

Worth,

I have hunted out of one for over 25 years. Never flipped one, even in some strong river currents. Myself and another friend have the Maxi Poke, the slimmer model (forget what it's called) is a bit more unstable, but still never known one to be flipped.

The Maxi Poke boats are a great boat in both marshes (shallow draft) and rivers (they track very well). If you are on the fence about purchasing one, I would highly recommend making the purchase. The only drawback to the boats are they are very low profile and are maybe a little tougher to get in and out of for big guys like myself.

I don't think you will regret getting one.

Brad

Hi Worth, If it's a "Maxi" and the price is reasonable, I would get it. I have 2 Maxi poke boats and a "regular" poke boat. The regular one is fine too but the maxi boats are really stable.

Here's a picture of a client with my lab Pearl in one of the Maxi boats. Super stable.

Good luck

maxi poke boat.jpg

Last edited:

Worth,

I have friends that swear by them, and those that swear at them. All are ardent waterfowlers, to each their own.

Best regards
Vince

Worth

I'll chime in too. I have the Maxi and it is very stable. I've never been in the standard model so I can't comment on it's stability. I will say the light weight construction of these boats is what sets them apart. I think they are no longer being manufactured so I assume you are looking at a used model. Be sure to look at the cockpit coaming because it is often cracked. When folks get out of the boats they push on the coaming and it wasn't meant for that weight. You have to push on the bottom of the boat or lean forward to get up.

Of all the hunting equipment I've bought over the years the Poke boat was one of the best investments ever. We frequently use it to transport gear to the hunting destination and hold onto while we wade to prevent falling in over a bad bottom. Other times we use it in the more standard fashion of sitting in it paddling. I don't think you can go wrong by having it in your hunting gear arsenal.

Eric

I have the regular poke boat. Have had it for a few years and I love it. USed it more last year that the big boat. Mine is the kevlar model an weighs in at somewhere around 22 lbs I believe.

The Poke does have limitations. While I have never tipped in mine, I don't feel super comfortable when in my full cold weather hunting gear and carrying decoys, chair, bag, my gun and whatever else I need. It gets crowded quickly. And as eric mentioned, it can be difficult to get in and out of. I have a long rope attached to the front of the boat and I use that to sort of pull myself out. Here's a pic from this past season. Forgot my folding chair at home and strapped on the plastic chair o use in the blind I paddled out to.

Oh, I have shot out of the boat several times and had no issue. Never have shot sideways though.

poke boat.jpeg

Back