Possible tractor purchase

The smart remark would be keeps the water from freezing...aren't you a scientist? Really though, most farm tractors have loaded tires for more weight to increase traction. You can also add steel wheel weights and/or front end weights. Not only does the salt keep it from freezing, but adds a couple more pounds per gallon.

Chuck

I kind of figured the weight part but wasn't 100% certain. I was wondering if it also had a cooling effect for the tires. When I was in the mining business and working on a tire repair solution (while the tire was still on the 330 ton "dump truck"), heat was a huge deal on those tires. Tried a few things to keep em cool but didn't have much luck.

Mark W

For what you describe for work the WD 45 is not a slouch either. I would only consider one with the wide front tires as I never liked the narrow set up.

If its wet, you want to have a winch or good come-along handy. In a pinch a good size boat anchor can be used to get something to pull on to get yourself out if you get in too far.

nuther push on Kubota, but also for 4 WD, in laws have had cases, fords, Farm All's H, M blah blah, finally after having to call the neihbors too many times to pull them out of simple snow, they finally bought a Ford (forget which exact model) and also a nice Kubota. Use them all the time in the woods, often VERY wet areas, technically called fish hatcheries by the DNR in the spring so I know wet work...Anyhow, 4WD is a must, along with a winch (although since getting one, we have never needed one..) We also use both a lot with milling logs so that is nice to have a bucket (actually forks) on the Kubota.

Eric,

You have gotten lots of good suggestions for lots of good tractors/features.

I have spent a lot of hours perched atop several of the other "green" tractors, Olivers. They are very reliable workhorses. Don't be shy of a good running one.

Tom

the old fords have many parts and are easy 2 get we have 2 8n's and a 850 also have a international 300u with a loader parts are $$$$$$

Appreciate all the input guys. This past weekend we were in Nashville for a baseball tournament. While there I looked at two Oliver Super 55's and a 550, a Massey Ferguson 35, and several Ford 600s. The Fords were in better shape but didn't have live PTO and I think I want that feature for bush hogging. The search goes on....

There is a New Holland for sale at the vegatable market on 431. It has a loader and tiller. I investigated the storage situation at the barn and regret to inform that it is not available. The Tate's want the storage and kinda want the other fella's hay out for the space. There is plenty of outdoor storage but I don't know if you want that.

Wanted to follow up and let you guys know I'm picking up a tractor today. After looking and numerous tractors over the past month I found a Massey Fergsuon 135 diesel that appears to be in good condition at a very good price. I almost pulled the trigger on an Oliver 550 but a local mechanic steered me to the MF saying Oliver parts are just getting too difficult to find and I don't have the time to go on parts hunts. The Massey 135 on the other hand is well supported by OEM and after market suppliers. As a bonus I was talking to a coworker friend who has a farm less than 1/4 mile from my house. He has a barn that is empty and has offered to let me store it there. Should work out perfect. Thomas and I are looking forward to working on the hunting property this summer and fall and the tractor purchase should go a long way towards making it better for ducks.

Eric,

Need a staw hat and a blde of grass to go with your purchase? :>) :>) Sounds like things are working out well for you.

That should be a great machine for you, I'm envious.

As far as the empty barn down the road, I'd be careful around that guy - he must have something wrong with him :).

Eric, Go big, I started small with a John Deere 4020 was a great little tractor, but I got stuck in every little hole. I was so far back when I got stuck I would take a log, chain it to the tire and pull myself out. After the last time of about killing myself I went bigger. 5203 John Deere 4wd, its the cat meow. It cost a little more but its the way to go. Even if not a Deere, go 4wd the difference is remarkable. I have used mine for everything, Good Luck on Your Decision ...By the way get a front end loader and grapple. You won't be sorry...John Van Houten

Eric,

You will be happy with the 135. It is a better option than the 550 regardless of parts availability. Take diesel over gas when it comes to tractors any day!

Tom

Back