Prop Reccomendation?

Carl

Staff member
The aluminum prop on my Merc 25hp is looking mighty rough after 5 years of duck hunting abuse. Actually held up longer than I thought it would.
So I am looking at replacing it.
I will have look when I get home to see what the stock prop is, boat is a Smokercraft 14' semi-v, rated for 30hp.
My question is:
Knowing the heavy loads we all usually carry (partner, decoys, gear, etc...) what diameter/pitch do y'all think I should go with???
What are y'all running on your 25hp 2 strokes & similar size boats?

Thanks!

I've got and '87 merc 25 on my 14 foot deep V fishing boat and I just run the stock aluminum props for it. When I was fishing the gulf a lot I would usually go through one every 1-2 years. Unless you've got a tachometer on your motor to see where your RPMs are at wide open throttle I would just stick with the same size and pitch you have.

If it served you right go with the same one. Need more bottom end go with a lower pitch, need more speed go up in pitch. I'm lucky our local prop shop let's me try them out to find the right one for my needs. No need to spend the big bucks for a fancy one for duck hunting.D

The aluminum prop on my Merc 25hp is looking mighty rough after 5 years of duck hunting abuse. Actually held up longer than I thought it would.
So I am looking at replacing it.
I will have look when I get home to see what the stock prop is, boat is a Smokercraft 14' semi-v, rated for 30hp.
My question is:
Knowing the heavy loads we all usually carry (partner, decoys, gear, etc...) what diameter/pitch do y'all think I should go with???
What are y'all running on your 25hp 2 strokes & similar size boats?

Thanks!

Come on newb, get a tach!

Carl, I went with a powertech prop for my 35 hp 2 stroke. Call the manf and give him the boat and motor size and what you want it to do and they can dial you in . They have a return policy if the prop is not damaged. I went with a 9 pitch four blade cupped for my tunnel boat. Stainless. Its pricey so be warned. It did the trick for me.

It's all guesswork until you put a tachometer on your motor. Get a Tiny Tach. They are cheap and very simple to install. With it you can see the rpm's your motor is turning with your present prop and that, and only that, will accurately tell you if you need the same pitch prop or if you need to go up or down.

Eric

Last edited:
I do need to break down & put on a tach but the current prop is so worn down, I am not sure I would get accurate information at this point. What do you think??

Hey Carl, I run a 14' blue fin with a 28hp Johnson. With all my gear and blind in place it is pretty heavy. Was running a 12 pitch prop perch fishing and it was good. With it loaded for hunting it was sluggish so I put on a 9 pitch prop. It is amazing how much better it runs and my fuel consumption even went down! It was lugging before but now runs at 5400 rpm.
Your boat is similar size but may not be as heavy. John

Carl,
I'm limited to a 9 1/4" Dia so that is what I have. My 16' Smokercraft has a 40 hp and I had to drop to a 13 pitch on it to get 5400 Rpm with 3 on board. Both cases I stayed at same dia.
Worked for me! John

Back