pvc boat blind

seth steinhauer

i just bought a 12' jon boat and want to put a blind on it. i want to make my own instead of buying one of those quick set blinds. i was thinking about making one out of pvc and covering it with camo netting. any info/ideas/pics would be helpful. thanks

Wow! That is exactly what I'm doing. I used "U" bolts to attach an old section of bed frame across the beam on the front and back of mine (only a 12 footer) and each has a 2x3 inch tab type thing sticking up. I'm going to drill 2 holes in each of the tabs to bolt 3/4" pvc pipe to them that will flip/fold down when pushed for taking shots. I'm doing the pvc 2 or 3 feet tall to a 90* elbow to the 10 foot pvc to another 90* elbow and back down the same 2-3 feet. I'm doing it on both sides so the boat direction won't matter. I just ordered a 8x10 foot section of dead duck camo netting from Cabela's for $29. I can cut it so each side covers 4 feet. I'm going to also paint the pvc flat black so I don't have big white lines in my netting! I'll post pictures when I get everything set up.

Last edited:
Guys think about this- Build two hoops of PVC and set them in sockets at each end of the boat. Then take a piece of bungee that will strech over the hoops end to end and fix it to the boat for and aft. Sew a seam in your blind fabric and run the bungee through it. Stretch the fabric up and hide behind it. I have use a setup like that on my Broadbill for 7 years and love it. Simple, cheap and opens up in a flash like a layout blind. Check the pictures from Lacross get together for a pic. I am having a learning curve crisis in posting pics. I will try to put some up tommorrow.

Here is one that I was able to get sized down enough to post. I think I need to set my camera different. Anyhow, here is a pic that shows my old school blind material and the frame setup. Good luck.

P3120010.JPG

Back