Question for the Virginia guys (Eastern Shore)

Rutgers

I'm planning on Heading to Chincoteague a week from now for some gunning. Hows the duck situation down there? We've only had a few cold days up here and supposed to be around 40 all week so if they aren't there yet they wont be coming from here. Thanks

Paully

Not sure if I can answer your question completely, but from the Western shore (Maryland) the hunting has been very poor. The temps are supposed to stay mild for the next week (until the 15th). Birds are few and far between, most guides are going after sea ducks with limited success. Haven't heard any good news from eastern shore guides.

dc

I'm not an expert, but experienced...

My Wife and I have been going there for over thirty years. My family and I have been going out there between Christmas and New Years for the past ten or so years to enjoy the Shore, the food, but mostly to hunt. I have a buddy who lives on the island. We usually hook up and hunt for a three day license worth.

We usually do pretty well. We pick our shots, choose the specie and shoot only Drakes, (when applicable, hard to tell about Black Ducks, Brant and Geese). It's not uncommon to limit on specie here and there. I can honestly say, we have at least had a chance at just about every species of Waterfowl, except for Harlequins, Redheads and Canvasbacks. I think those are the only type of ducks we've never seen there.

This year we didn't have a very good trip as far as the hunting goes. My son shot a total of five, half-hearted, shots at Buffleheads. I never picked up my gun.

Birds were just not there. Near 60 degree temps, blue sky and calm water didn't help out either, but that's just luck.

You will however, see a ton of birds on the nearby Assateague Refuge.

If you haven't been out to the Eastern Shore, there is a WHOLE plethora of waterfowl museums and places to see. Havre De Grace Decoy musem, Chesapeake Classics, and I'm sure you know of the Ward Brosthers Museum of Waterfowl Art. Chincoteague has my personal favorite, The Refuge Waterfowl Museum, but it's been closed for the last few years. I understand it is a private collection, owned by a gentleman fro New Jersey, who the last I heard, fell ill. Too bad, it's an awesome place.

Who are you hunting with?

Good luck when you go, things can change at a moment notice.

Jon

Hey Paul-I have a good friend that has an island in Chincoteague Bay. It has been very slow this year and I would echo what you read above. but you are going to have a great time. Chances are you will see some fowl and the scenery is great all around that area. I would describe it as being soft on the eyes and in many ways it is similar to the Delaware marshes but more remote and less tide. You are going to have a great time and will be hunting some classic Atlantic Flyway country. Get some oysters while you are there.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear, but ...

I happen to live on the VA/MD line (10 minutes from Chincoteague bay) on the eastern shore and this is by far the worst season I've seen since moving here several years ago. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt this weekend while working out in the yard. High on Sat. was 65 and yesterday was right around 60 again. There are very few birds around ... in past years, if nothing else we could usually go down to Chincoteague bay and shoot some buffies so the dog would have some work ... they aren't even here in numbers to make it worth the effort. We have a fraction of the birds we normally do ... it's actually been so poor I've packed all my gear away in the shed and don't plan on going out for what remains of the season ...

Paully , I hunted Chincoteague with guide Capt. Andy Linton on January 2,2011. Had opportunities at black ducks,buffle heads. Snow geese and Canada geese where there in abundance(did not get any shots on them) Ducks are finally moving into Virginia,

I just got back from hunting Chincoteague two days ago...go play golf...LOL. Saw some ducks, but very quiet. Had a great time anyway and the crab cakes were great.

I'm near the MD/VA line on the bay side.
It's not as bad as it might seem, you just need to lower your expectations.
We have been getting some black ducks and teal back in the marsh, and some buffys on the big water.
There are some big divers around, but without any weather to make them move, they just loaf around in the sun and every now and then they all get up and fly up or down the sound together.
Good luck

Thanks for the replies fellas.

A buddy of mine and I have been getting together and hunting once a year for the past 10 years or so on the eastern shore every year we could. I have always enjoyed it and while I have been to other places with better gunning, the Eastern Shore is one of my favorite places in the world to hunt for reasons that have already been mentioned. We used to hunt with Grayson Chesser at his Holden Creek Gun Club and I have always enjoyed it and made some great friends there. Michele and I even made it a stop on our honeymoon (didn't hunt). Last year Grayson was booked during the time were able to come and recommended us to a guy on Chincoteague named Danny Bowden and we were not disappointed. We also spent a day chasing cans down the shore a bit on the bay with PG Ross and had a great time. The boys on the Eastern Shore that I have met and hunted with are 100% first class. Trying to squeeze in a hunt with my buddy between his deployments. Looks like the weather man has changed his mind from last week and calling for it to finally get cold up here and start snowing Thursday here in Michigan so maybe that could be what's needed. I know its a long shot but I feel like the kid who's already opened his Christmas presents hoping that one thing he didn't get is tucked away in a hiding spot and dad's gonna go get it any minute.

As negative as I may have sounded in my first post, I would still go back in a New York heart beat!

The sights and sounds, the smells, food and history. All that, and the fact that From where I live in NE Ohio, even on a poor day there, I would see more birds there in a day than I see here all season.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Good Luck and be safe!

Jon

I am on the Bay side of the Shore about 10 miles South of the MD/VA line(a few creeks South of Mr. Chesser) and it has been a rough season for us here but there are some birds in the area. Plenty of Black Ducks and Brant on the Sea side and the Cans are showing up in good numbers on the Bay side this week. I have had good success with Sea Ducks on the Bay but you have to go out a ways. Not much in the way of big ducks(except for the Blacks) but hopefully we will see some before seasons end. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Cheers,
Pete

Born and raised here on the shore. I hunt the seaside and have a few leases not far from you PeterM. Seems some geese have shown in the past couple days. Like the others said some birds are here, but not much to make them move around.

Any of you guys that come to the shore to hunt, I will say that Grayson and Linton are the best. Dont waste your money on the others they are just water taxi's.
Feel free to PM me if you happen to be down this way. I dont mind giving a report, joining you, or pointing you in the right direction.

Doug.

Thanks for the replies.

Doug, I agree 100% on your assessment of Grayson and his place. We always enjoyed our time there and Grayson and the crew always worked their but off from sun up to sun down for us to get some gunning and have good chow and a comfortable lodge. I'd recommend him to anyone.

Haven't anything good about hunting in the mid atlantic reagion, but I hear the surf fishing a little north of there off assateague has been good.

Back