Question on checks in cedar.

Lee L.

I started cutting out several decoys today and one 7 foot run of board had a couple of checks running the length of the board on one side. This board has no knots in it at all and I can get a few bodies out of it if it weren't for the checks. I would be able to use it for smaller decoy heads but would rather use it for bodies. I thought about running it through the table saw and just cutting through the checks length wise. Then my plan was to laminate it back together. What are other options?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Checks in Cedar bodies. I just cut a slice of Cedar, West System it in place, finish the body and the decoy is good to go. So far none have opened up at the repair, solid or hollow.

I agree with Vince--I've been working on some solid northern white cedar bodies and the blocks have some small checks so I try to adjust the pattern to minimize these. Once the body is shaped and sanded any checks remaining are sliced opened as much as necessary with a hand miter saw. Then use a table saw to slice a tight fitting slice of scrap cedar and epoxy it in place. A little sanding and the patch is hardly visible. and I have never had a repair open.

I agree with the other advice. Cut the original blank to avoid as many checks as possible, rough it out, and then if there are checks, open them up with a grinder or handsaw, then epoxy the crack and pound a cedar shim (precut to have grain similar and running in the same direction) into place. One thing old timers did on cracks was to run a drill hole into the end of the crack, believing this prevented the crack from continuing to open up. If you do this (I don't), then fill the drill holes with pieces of dowel epoxied in place. Once dry, the cedar, dowels, and epoxy can be taken down and sanded smooth, making an almost invisible repair.

Any repairs made will be better and more stable if you hollow the decoy, relieving, as much as possible, left over stresses inside the blank. Generally checks are caused by either cracks caused in felling, improper drying before sawing, and poor sawing practices. There aren't a lot of huge cedar trees left in the upper midwest, so to get three and four inch planks the heartwood is often included in the plank. When the heartwood is part of the plank, the outer rings naturally shrink and dry at a greater rate than the inner rings, causing radiating cracks, usually starting at the outside and running inward. Hollowing the decoy can stabilize the large difference between the inner rings and outer rings of the grain.

Final tip: make sure if laminating two boards together to make the body, you match the grain so that any tendency of the wood to cup causes the two pieces to cup together, not apart.

Oh yeah, and tell the guy who got you the cedar to not give you pieces with as many checks in it in the future. ;-)

Sawing the split and laminating back works well. I also drill and dowel the ends and saturate the joint with a good epoxy. At times I will saturate the area and let cure and then go back the next day with thickened epoxy to finish. Splits happen deal with it properly and keep on carving

Thanks for the replies!

Daddy Mike,
I hope I can get some more of this stuff in the future. Despite the one board with cheeks in it, it really has been great carving it.

Back