Question on decoy placement

Mark W

I was watching some duck hunting videos on youtube and watch guys hunt a patch of land with water all around. They were sitting in layout blinds and were really blasting the ducks. I noticed that most of the shots were long shots (at least compared to the ranges I shoot) and then noticed that their decoys had to be out at least 30 - 35 yards from the blinds. Most of the ducks they shot were trying to land near the decoys. I don't get why they would have their decoys that far out from where they were shooting from. Any thoughts?

Maybe I've been doing somethign wrong all these years but I always place the decoys close enough to get me a close shot. A decoy out at 25 yards would be long for me. Anyone else?

Mark W

I like my decoys 20-30 yards from my blind/land..... For me, it is because I think that they don't see the blind as much... That doesn't mean that ducks aren't at 15-20 yards when being shot.... I will also say that most images on video make everything look further due to the lenses......

Think about all the hunting shows, and how far everything looks... and those are pro cameras....

I personally believe the appearence of distance on the hunting shows, greatly contributes and purpetuates skybusting.....

Mark,
Do you measure the distance at all when you set up your spread? If I know where I am going to be, I'll use a range finder to help me set up my decoys. When ever possible I like creating a corridor for the ducks to fly into and then land. Most of my hunting is on the rio and setting up on sand bars etc. helps me out allot.
Since I use Dove loads, 2 3/4" shells with #7 steel when duck hunting, I wait until they have committed. Most of my shots are between 20 and 30 yards.
What Phil had to say is absolutely correct about lenses.
Al

Depending on location, we are typically setting up decoys right on top of the boat/blind (within 5 feet in flooded corn). However, in some situations I'll put them out a little bit. If I feel that I can't hide really well I'll move the decoys away from where I am to keep the ducks from focusing on where I'm sticking out. Even then, I'm talking maybe 10 yards, not 30 yards. I used to have a pair of snow goose decoys that I'd put at ~35 yards. Beyond that, I don't shoot much if ever :).

I do agree that on video things appear further away than they are. That being said, some of those ducks fall for a really long time and/or provide really long retrieves for the dog. :)

I do have a range finder with me so I can measure the distances I set the decoys at. Since I tend to hunt the same 10 spots or so, I pretty much know the distance I set the dekes at and 30 yards would be a real long set for me. I'd say the majority of my decoys are 20 yards at the most.

I also tend to set the decoys where I don't want the ducks to land. Little pockets in different spots with the spot right in front of the boat open for the ducks to land. Seems to work for me. "Y", "J's" and so on have never shown any benefit at least where and how I hunt.

Mark W

I also like to have decoys out to 30 yards, so....I know where 30 yards is... and then I can guage distances of birds....

Mark,

Based on what my dad and uncle taught me I always place my decoys in the 30 to 40 yard range based on the thought that choke patterns are determined on a 30" circle at 40 yards. Full choke typically will be at 70% coverage, modified 60% and improved is 50% coverage. Of course there are a lot of variables such as shot size and weight as well and powder weight to name a couple.

Another thing I don't do any more unless I'm river hunting is to use the "J" or "V" setup. Being a "pot hole" hunter if you sneak in on a pot hole you'll always see birds feeding in small groups and close together. Check out the ponds in your local park and see how they feed. I use the shotgun method or as I've read in other articles the "Train Wreck" method of decoy placement. Throw them out in small groups. Just don't let them touch. Real ducks don't like to be touched and leave an opening in your spread in your shooting lane.

Ed L.

I think the other hit it: things on vidoe look a lot farther than it really is.
That said, I like to keep my decoys within 20-30 yards of the boat, with landing pockets built in. That way if birds land a little short, they might still be in range.
Sometimes when I put out the decoys, I will try to drift downwind of the blind, putting a decoy out at each boat lenght, which is ~5 yards, until I get to 25 yards.

One exception to the 20-30 yard rule is the "tail" on my diver spread, it will trail out up to 50 yards in some instances.

But where do the motorized flapping decoys go??? ;->

I keep the decoys anywhere from next to the boat to 25 yards, and the outside birds are usually a pair of buffies. For sea ducks we string out farther with the long lines and let them fly the lines into the gunner.

I tend to keep my decoys in close. I have a jerk string that is about 25 yds long and I use that as a gauge and typically don't put any farther out than that. When the wind is in my face and there is nothing I can do about it. I'll put the decoys 50-60 yrds out with only few right by me. This way I can get the birds swinging around to land into the wind.

I believe ducks/geese tend to drop in short of birds (decoys) so I try to put them about 30-35 yards out.

I alsotry to set up for crossing shots so I am not in the flight path. One exception is field hunting for geese. I set up in a hedge row w/wind on my face & decoys about 50 yards out. I'm looking to shoot as the geese drop in over my head (hopefully) as they are landing between me & the field shells.

Duck very often land on the outside edge or in the pocket in my decoys spreads. So i put the farthest decoys about 20 yards and the pocket is 5-10 yards. Either way the birds are trying to land within about 20 yards tops for me. That is the goal atleast.

Chris

Back