Question on new vehicle to haul duck boat

Mark W

This is a duck hunting question - sort of.

I'm considering the purchase of a new vehicle sometime this year. It has been 10 years since I bought my Dakota and while it has been a good truck, it is time to see it go onto it's next chapter.

While I enjoyed the size of the Dakota (not a small truck, not a full size truck) the gas mileage on the 4.7L motor was horrendous. Average of 12 - 13 mpg over the whole year I would guess. I need better than that.

What I'm asking is what are others getting on their trucks? I am considering a F150 (is that new double turbo engine a risk - the turbo motor was definately more upkeep on the previously owned Porsche than the non turbo version) or a Toyota Tacoma. According to the literature, the turbo Ford motor would get 16/22 while the 5L V8 would get 15/21. Are these real world numbers do you think? I know when I bought the Dakota the stickers said 14/18 and I've never ever been near that.

The Tacoma literature doesn't really improve upon the full size Ford numbers (16/20).

Looking for input.

Thanks -

Mark W

I spent quite a bit of time looking when I decided to replace my '93 Exploder. It was a great rig, but it was showing its age. I did the research and looked at a ton of SUVs until I flipped for a crew cab pickup.

I came close to buying a F150 but then changed to a Chevy 1/2 ton after driving one...and spent a whale of a lot of time afterwards looking for a good, low-mileage used truck with the 5.7L engine--the one that was very highly recommended by several mechanics.

I ended up buying aToyota Tundra 1/2 ton, 4X, crew cab. It is a great vehicle...and much more comfortable to drive/ride in than the Ford. Its mileage rating is dismal---around town it tends to suck fuel at an alarming rate, but then I don't drive it in town much.

On the highway, it gets 20 mpg IF I don't drive above the speed limit. I've found that the mileage is fairly good if I stay below 65 mph. On a straight freeway trip, I think the mileage would improve a bit over that.

Hi Mark, I have a 2006 Tacoma/access cab with 185,000 miles (all mine) on it. I tow a 20' Lund Alaskan whenever I go hunting, about 45 times last year and each trip is about 30 miles each way to and from the boat ramp. I should also mention that it's a 4 cylinder/5 speed. I change the oil every 3-5000 miles and the tranny fluid every 75,000. Aside from that regular maintenance and tires, all I've done is one front bearing and brakes. It has been a great truck, mileage is about what you're thinking 18-22. When towing I rarely get out of 4th gear and I always pull out of the ramps in 4-low. I will absolutely buy another but probably the v-6 with 4 doors and a short bed.

Can't speak to the Ford, my old truck was a Dodge 1500SLT package with the big v-8. Hate to think how many front-end parts I would have put into that at 185,000 miles.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Oh, ya...I had to replace both rear middle leaf springs because they both broke. I've been told that it is common especially if you run a lot of bumpy roads, and I do!

I have a Chevy Duramax HD 2500 diesel that gets 21 mpg on the hiway at 60 mph. When I tow my 18 alum. boat I get 18 mpg and when I tow my 19 Bankes or horse trailer I get 16 mpg. It will tow anything. When I had a Suburban with a 5.7 L gas engine the mileage would drop from 16 mpg to 10 towing heavy stuff. Sure initial investment is higher and fuel is higher but I get better mileage, greater versatility due to the power and I should get greater longevity.

This is a duck hunting question - sort of.

I'm considering the purchase of a new vehicle sometime this year. It has been 10 years since I bought my Dakota and while it has been a good truck, it is time to see it go onto it's next chapter.

While I enjoyed the size of the Dakota (not a small truck, not a full size truck) the gas mileage on the 4.7L motor was horrendous. Average of 12 - 13 mpg over the whole year I would guess. I need better than that.

What I'm asking is what are others getting on their trucks? I am considering a F150 (is that new double turbo engine a risk - the turbo motor was definately more upkeep on the previously owned Porsche than the non turbo version) or a Toyota Tacoma. According to the literature, the turbo Ford motor would get 16/22 while the 5L V8 would get 15/21. Are these real world numbers do you think? I know when I bought the Dakota the stickers said 14/18 and I've never ever been near that.

The Tacoma literature doesn't really improve upon the full size Ford numbers (16/20).

Looking for input.

Thanks -

Mark W

I have a Taco (2006, so same generation you are talking). Fuel numbers are right - not as good as you would think. Truck is great and has been perfect. I have the V6, no problem towing.

I just went through the same thing when my Subaru Forester died. Decided to go with a mid-sized truck instead of a small SUV for replacement, and pretty quickly narrowed my choice down to a Tacoma or a Nissan Frontier. I really wanted to go with the 4 cylinder Tacoma for the better gas mileage, but it's not all that much better, and that truck definitely felt a little underpowered on the highway. ("Mid-sized" trucks have gotten larger and larger, and I think have reached the point where 6 cylinders are needed.)

Based on my research and test drives, there really wasn't much to choose between the Tacoma and the Frontier. When I bought Nissan had a $2,000 cash rebate that lowered the size of my loan, so I went that way. I'm still wondering if I would have been better off with the Tacoma.

After 2,000 miles I'm averaging around 17 mpg on mostly driving around town, including a fair amount of pulling light boats. On long highway trips I can get that up to about 20 if I keep it under 65, but it's back down to 17 if I go with traffic at 70-75.

The full-sized trucks like the Tundra and F-150 are not a whole lot worse on gas if you can use the extra size and towing capacity--but I sure didn't need that. Frankly, the Frontier is a bigger truck than I need, but I couldn't find a 4WD drive with good ground clearance any smaller. I am definitely not liking $4 gas with my new lower gas mileage. It sure will be easier hauling decoys and other wet muddy gear than it was cramming them into my little Subaru.

Can I have my 1986 Toyota truck back--the one that got 28-30 mpg and went anywhere I wanted?

PS--The Suzuki trucks are the same as the Nissan Frontier except for some minor cosmetics, and have a better warranty and a little lower price. I couldn't find one around me, but if you are in a bigger market, it might be an option worth looking at.

I bought my 2000 F150 regular cab, with the "small" V8, new off the lot, only had a few minor repairs in 165,000 miles. Its been a great truck.
If I had to buy a new truck, it would be an F150 Supercrew XLT.
Gas mileage varies from truck to truck, even in the same make, year & model. Also depends heavily on how you drive. Like other noted, keeping it below 70 mph will help alot. Towing different loads will also effect it.
Back when my F150 was new, on a long highway trip, I could get close to 20 mpg. Around town, I get about 17 mpg. Not bad, not great. The newer engines are supposed to be even better.

Mark I have a 2008 chevy colorado,Z71, 4 door,4wd & I tow my 18 ft lund alaskan with a full blind, & my 21ft triton fronteir all over upstate new york with out any hesitation at all. The truck is a 5 cylinder automatic & I get about 18 to 20 everyday use not highway & while towing it depends on which boat I'am towing I get about 15 to 18 mpg. I also have plenty of room.Joe

Mark:

I just got a F 150 Super Crew Cab with the 5L V8 in January. It is a fleet vehicle and I have about 30 of my piers that are also driving them. I have a little over 12K miles on it (mostly hwy). It is averaging 16.7 on the hwy. here in the hills of Kentucky. It will drop to right around 16 when pulling the 18 ft john. The flat landers tell me they are getting about 17.5 on the hwy. I have some competitors that are driving the same vehicle with the 4.6L 6 cyl. The gas mileage is better but they say they are a dog in terms of power. I can't tell a lot of difference in the 5 L for power and the 09 with the 5.4 L I just turned in.

Hope it helps,

Wheeler

Hey Mark,
My Suburban has 185k miles on it and I decided it was time for something "better". The ol' Sub is in tough shape cosmetically and with that many miles, I don't think it is worth much. So the plan for now is to hang on to it for when I really need it - 1% of the time???

I'm thinking my Chev HHR will get me by for 99% of my driving now, even a lot of my hunting. They are pretty darn reasonably priced (mine had 30k miles) and get better than 30 mpg.

Not everyone likes the look of the HHR, but I love it and I'm just amazed at how much stuff it holds.

I also have a trailer hitch and a roof rack, so I'm pretty sure unless I really need the ground clearance or 4x4, it will work.

HHR wouldn't do it all, especially if I had a bigger boat to pull. But that's why I'm hanging onto the Sub.

Good luck!

NR

I've been very happy with my Tacoma. I'll get right around 18 mpg in the city and 21 highway. I have around 140k miles and bought it new in 2003. I would buy the exact same truck all over again. No issues towing the boat or trailer. I think the newer models are slightly larger. When it's time to buy again it will likely be a taco.

I traded my Dodge Ram on an '04 Tacoma double-cab with a V-6 (18 /22+... real world numbers). No issues towing. Like Ryan, I wouldn't hesitate to own another.

Mark,
I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew, 17mpg on the highway. It has been a good vehicle, so I am thinking of hanging on to it and going with Toyota Rav4 4x4 with V6 3500 # pulling and ~26 mpg on the highway. Just another 4-wheel drive car, but the gas mileage could kill this fall and I easily put on 200 miles in a weekend. I also only have small boat. The F150 will be there for the next larger addition to boating fleet or the horse trailer. I do long for the 88 Toyota 4 banger pickup I left in Bristol Bay, AK. I saw one an orchard the other day, but a new vehicle with warranty sure would be nice.

I have a dodge 1500 5.7 hemi quad cab 4x4 that gets 17.5 mpg around town and 15 towing my 20' polarcraft.Even with 33" tires it drives like a car.Of course that is driving easy on it,if your heavy on the foot you can bring the fuel mileage down fast.

Mark,

I just purchased a 2011 F150 XLT Supercab with the 5.0L to replace an Explorer that had been used as a pickup,.....for far too many years. I'm averaging 18.4 mpg combined highway/town. I've gotten over 19.0 on some long highway trips,.....actually before I put on the cap with canoe rack, I could get about 19.3 on highway trips. The acceleration is simply awesome with the 360 HP 5.0L,....plus you should be able to tow anything with 380 lb/ft torque. This truck is simply to best vehicle I've ever driven!!!!! I find ride and handling to be very good,.......and it looks good too! My wife and I have owned and purchased for our kids, about 10 different Ford vehicles over the last 10 years, and have had nothing but an excellent experience with the brand. Consumer Report is now stating the Ford and Hyundai are the best automakers.

Good luck,
Dick

Mark,

I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty. V6, terrible mileage...15 mpg, up hil, down hill with or without a tail wind. Can't drive at highway speed with more then one window down. The roof "oil cans" so bad you have to wear hearing protection. Leg room is great if you like sitting on "plywood " hard seats. Poor visibility. Towing? Geared great for towing. No problems at all. Over all? Stay away. I wish I'd bought a truck!

Take care,

Ed L.

Thanks Ed. Just today (half a tank of gas burned on a fishing trip to a remote pond) I was kicking myself for not looking closer at the Jeeps when I bought my Frontier. Although from the other posts, it sounds like I could have had an F150 and be getting the same mileage, if not a little better.

I have a 2008 tacoma double cab long bed with 107K miles. has been a great truck and tows fine. I was averaging 22.75 mpg with mixed miles but now that I have a hard time finding gas without ethanol I average 18.5. My only complaint with it is the rear springs are wimpy and I have worn them out and will have to get some kind of upgrade.

From what I understand some of the new engines are being designed to run 10% ethanol so they don't have the reduction in mileage. I will research that before I buy my next rig.

Back