Question on possible homemade "swamp stool"

Mark W

Where I am hunting this weekend, we stand the entire time. Some of my buddies have one of those "stools" that is basically a long tube with a swivel seat on the top. Place the tube in the muck and you can rest your butt on the seat. Since I'm too cheap to purchase one of these, anyone make their own version. Yeah I know, I'm thinking about this a little late. If I can just make something simple, light and quickly, this would be great. Just something to stick on the mud that I can rest on to take the weight/stress off my lower back, knees etc....

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mark W

We made them once with two sizes of PVC pipe and a piece of wood fastened on top for a seat. One piece of pipe slid into the other and they each had holes drilled in them to make the height adjustable by inserting a dowel through the holes. They worked fine, but they were heavy and cumbersome.

Having said that, IMHO it's worth your time and money to buy one of the Avery swamp seats. That's what we use now and they are much better.

Mike

Mark,

2 inch pvc
tee
cross

cut pvc to form a support for your cheap ass to rest upon. The "tee" go across the top end, add pvc to get the desired width. Add a section of pvc for the upright (length to be distance from surface of the marsh to the Tee. Add the cross to prevent the support from sinking into the marsh. Add a section of pvc to the bottom leg of the cross to stick in the mud. Bottom end of this piece can be cut at an angle for easier penetration. Finally, if needed add pvc to the horizontal ends of the cross if needed to prevent sinking in the mud.

View attachment support.jpg

Mark - Been there, done that. During our early teal seasons over the years, we've made them out of wood and PVC. Personally, I've got to the point where I've purchased 4 seats commercially made and did some homework before I did. I've also seen several and have friends that have a variety stools.

If you do end up going commercial, I've had real good luck with the Averys. They are sturdy, adjustable and compact very well for travel. Aside from our duck club, I've used them with great success in marshes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. In two weeks, we'll use them in North Dakota. I love mine and count on them in our hunting options.

Just my two cents... Pat

Last edited:
Mark~

Here is my "Old School Swamp Stool"

1%20Stool_zpszjwycyfo.jpg

Weight was not a primary concern because this was made for a semi-permanent installation in my Hickory Swamp. It has been there for 2 or 3 years now. I used treated lumber I had around the shop. I would not hesitate to carry it a long ways - but different lumber - like Cypress - would certainly make it lighter.

The seat is 5/4" x 5.5" x 16".

The from the bottom of the seat to the top of the crossbar is 18 inches.

Knees under seat are 4.25" wide by 5.25" tall.

The post is 37 inches - 2x4

2%20Stool_zps8x6v7gyp.jpg

The crossbar is ~ 17 inches long.

3%20Stool_zpsrbh8hqug.jpg

Tapering the point on the bandsaw/sabre saw sure helps.

Everything was fastened with deck screws and Titebond II (or III ?).

All the best,

SJS

Piece of 4 inch by 8 inch 1/2 inch plywood, toilet flange and PVC works. Foam, nylon web, and old piece of camp cloth if you want a deluxe version with padded seat and a carrying strap.

We made them once with two sizes of PVC pipe and a piece of wood fastened on top for a seat. One piece of pipe slid into the other and they each had holes drilled in them to make the height adjustable by inserting a dowel through the holes. They worked fine, but they were heavy and cumbersome.

Having said that, IMHO it's worth your time and money to buy one of the Avery swamp seats. That's what we use now and they are much better.

Mike
We made and used a nearly identical seat, with the exception of using a locking cotter pin in the height adjustment holes. Mine lasted through eleven seasons of hunting in NoDak until the oak plug inser in the PVC that the seat top was bolted to split from rot. As Mike states, heavy seats. One is still going on pothole hunts.

If I were going to purchase a new one, I would go with the Mojo Mud Seat.

I've made a couple out of pvc. Last one I screwed a wood seat with foam pad and fabric. Did not make it more comfortable.

Back