remington super sonic steel

Chris S.

I am looking at specs for diff steel shot and keep coming across remington's super sonic steel its doing 1700 fps has anyone used this over the past season and how did it work out my thought is its gotta have a hell of a kick do you think the 200 or so fps more will help the add said it will cut your leed down by 8 inches at 30 yrds I don't know about all that but who knows I was alway taught by my pops that its all about shot placement and in this case I agree thanks

I bought a box and after a few shots I set it aside until I could pattern it. It kicks, is loud and it changes your leads. As for the pattern, I have not taken it to the range yet.

a quick calculation, literally on the back of an envelope, gave a difference of 5 inches in the lead.

assume: shot retains muzzle velocity all the way to target. target moving at 40mph.

I shot the 3" #4 all season. It patterned best in my gun with a pattern master long range tube. I was very pleased with it.

Todd

It'll blow your barrel up too.

Yes, use too tight of a choke tube and you may bulge your barrel or worse. In most cases though, it only bulges your choke tube a little and makes it tough to remove it from the barrel.

This is rare though. I believe there is a warning on the box. I'll have to look at mine again.

All I know is that it works great thru my pattern master and SPEED KILLS!

Todd

Garbage in my opinion. I was not impressed with how it shot,

I wont buy more, over priced and I can get 2 boxes of Xpert for the same price.

Your dad was right Chris its not the arrow its the indian.

May bulge it a little, like this :

oops.jpg

Why risk it..... How dead can ya kill 'em?

8 inches at 30 yds? What's the point? I really don't think I've ever missed a duck by just 8 inches. I'll just keep shooting bismuth or tungston.

Too much speed and pressure.. you don't need to shoot stuff that fast to kill ducks.. We used the cheapest 2 3/4 inch stuff early in the season on sea ducks.. mainly we use the good stuff Hevi shot..3inch #2 @ 1350fps.

I shot sporting clays competitively for a long time.. All the fast stuff came out everyone switched to it.. they all switch back to the slowest 1100-1200 fps stuff because it patterns better, less recoil and you can shoot more accurately when your not afraid to get smacked .. same goes for the 3 1/2 inch stuff.. I never shoot it .. even on geese..

I didn't have a problem with it and bought alot of it since we got it for $19.99 regular price, went on sale last week of season & price was buy 1 get 2nd half off so much cheaper that Xpert.
Only thing I can say negative on it was it left my barrel very dirty and if you swung and into the wind, a dust/powder would come back & into your face.

You guys just made up my mind. Out here it is going for $23-$25 a box and is to expensive to justify the chance of ruining a barrel or worse. I'll pass. Thanks for the info.

That was a good amount of info from what I have seen and read I will pass on the shells I will go with a reg load thanks

We banned it from our blind because its so loud. I got some ear damage this past season from it, and the guy that was next to me was being safe and had is muzzle way away from me. Its cheaper up here at walmart or dicks sporting goods but when macks is selling the xpert high velocity stuff for like 150 a case and I've always had good luck with that I see no reason to buy ammo thats only 75 fps faster then what i normally shoot.

eddie

I've had several guy bring it out both Sea Ducki and in our pits. They killed birds just like every one else. It dosent sound any louder to me than all the rest. My own preference is Winchester X-Pert 3" #2 Iuse it for everything, mostly because its cheep.

I am teased by the claims too but when it comes right down to it spend the difference on trap loads and shoot all summer. I know trap is not the same as feathers over decoys but the more you shoot the better you shoot. Sporting clays can be a good practice but something is better than nothing. AND unless you get those magazine cover shots does lead calculation really matter?? Just wondering. Kinda the same thoughts a lot of guys have about lethal distance. I prefer to see their eyes if I can before I pull.

Remington sent us a case of the stuff and we had to almost give it away after we shot some. Loud, tremendous recoil and not that impressive to all of us and we hunt every day of the season and shoot a lot of ducks. The punishment dished out and ringing ears all made us all back up. I pity the one hunting next to a ported barrel or choke when this is shot. For the money I'd shoot skeet loads before I'd invest in this.

Back