Rescuing A Rail Skiff *Updated with text and pics*

Great thread, better boat! Nice job on the reconditioning/restoration project. Now you're gonna have to post more pics and stories after you get out to use it hunting.
Thanks Derek, it a real good craft for the skinny water , now I need a nice 28 gauge to go with her.
Probably also need a little boykin sittin amidships to handle retreiveing dutys. No bird markers needed then!

Jode, how long did you "deliberate" prior touching the first paint strokes to this hull? I know I would have a very long internal dialogue prior applying paint if I made something that visually striking!

Ahh about 10 minutes , I had a good idea what I wanted to do from the outset.

Great thread, better boat! Nice job on the reconditioning/restoration project. Now you're gonna have to post more pics and stories after you get out to use it hunting.
Thanks Derek, it a real good craft for the skinny water , now I need a nice 28 gauge to go with her.
Probably also need a little boykin sittin amidships to handle retreiveing dutys. No bird markers needed then!

I don't know if anyone ever uses dogs for rails, it would sure help because they can be real hard to find sometimes.

I don't know if anyone ever uses dogs for rails, it would sure help because they can be real hard to find sometimes.

One of my hunting buddies has a Brittany we've used. She doesn't like the water much, but she loves the birds! She gets a little confused to be sitting in the boat waiting instead of ranging around looking for birds, though. I'm thinking a Springer might be a good rail dog. The love the water, are birdy as hell, and are a smaller dog to lift back into the boat than a lab.

Boykins are even smaller, right? They might be perfect.

One of my hunting buddies has a Brittany we've used. She doesn't like the water much, but she loves the birds! She gets a little confused to be sitting in the boat waiting instead of ranging around looking for birds, though. I'm thinking a Springer might be a good rail dog. The love the water, are birdy as hell, and are a smaller dog to lift back into the boat than a lab.

Years ago I use to use my brittany bird dog as retreiver when jump shooting ducks from canoe. She loved it but she was also trained on water retreives same as a lab would be. Just couldn,t handle the cold water well.

A Boykin if it sits still might be great, but a lot happens in a rail skiff fast, a bigger dog would be on the way I think

Years ago I use to use my brittany bird dog as retreiver when jump shooting ducks from canoe. She loved it but she was also trained on water retreives same as a lab would be. Just couldn,t handle the cold water well.

Good thing is during tail season the water is pretty warm

Back