Research on sewing 1000d Cordura DWR with urethane coating

RLLigman

We are getting ready to make the patterns to replace my TDB-17' blind. Have any of you sewn 1000D Codura that is urethane coated? Karen made five really nice silhouette and decoy ponchos out of 1000d Codura with nylon webbing as seam binder material, but that was when she had access to a commercial machine via piece-work for a XC-ski clothing manufacturing venture started by some friends...which eventually went "belly-up" a few years back in the Great Recession. We lost of two marine canvas shops here in Marquette, so I am a loss for a local jobber. I recall that Steve Sanford recently purchased a commercial-grade sewing machine from Sailrite. We are discussing buying a long-arm commercial machine and then selling it when the project is complete. Any advice suggestions, guidance, etc. would be appreciated greatly particularly for thread type and needle size information.

Last edited:
First suggestion is to try it with your regular sewing machine if you have one. The urethane backing may be the issue though. When I did the blind for my BB3 I bought a $125 Janome that worked great with 500D Cordura. If it doesn't work then move on to #2. Take samples of the material to one of your sewing machine sales/service places and get their opinion. They may know of someone doing this type of work on the side.

I had my wife sew some 1000D coated Cordura on her regular machine, it was tough and slow going but she managed to get her machine to power through it. I would take Pete's advice though, it sure will be easier on the proper machine.

I made an entire boat blind with urethane backed 1000D on a good quality home sewing machine (Viking/Husqvarna). I used a heavy needle and appropriately heavy thread. I was able to stitch multiple layers of 1000D and to sew through 2 layers of 1000D and a layer of 2" webbing for buckles. Stitching quality was very good once the machine was adjusted properly.

I would try it if you have a good machine at home.

I don't remember off the Forehead I got from Mark Rongers was 600 or 1000. Our sewing machine did it though.

I've used an older Sailrite Ultrafeed and it is a great machine and a great price compared to full commercial machines. They will easily handle 1000D and canvas. On the Sailrite website they have info regarding thread/needles and other how-to videos.

Another thought, I've used Sunbrella marine grade fabric. Much easier to work with than 1000D.

Tom

We tried using a high end home machine on 1000D cordura and if your plan is to make a full replacement blind don't. Get a commercial machine with a walking foot is much better.

Thats a ton of sewing to be done and the machine won't take it long enough for a full complete blind with all the webbing and thick areas to be sewn. We destroyed the machine we used about 1/2 way thru. Busted the plastic gears all to pieces inside the machine over working it on the HD material.

A long arm machine isn't needed. find yourself a older Commercial machine on a stand and go for it. Juki, or Consew. avoid the cheap chinese copies. they also have plastic gears instead of metal. Should be able to snag a good on online for a grand or so. I once got one for 50.00 at a estate sale. But thats just dumb luck. LOL

We scoured the eastern half of the country looking for a shop to sew them for us and its not an easy find. And a very expensive one when you do. Not many canvas shops out there that are not already overloaded with work.

Last edited:
Let's try this again. I'm traveling cross country, South Dakota to be exact, for my son's graduation from the state police academy. Tried to do this earlier, but had phone/Internet issues.

So, I bought this old Dressmaker sewing machine at a yard sale for like, $25. Some people say I "stole it" for that. I agree. Anyways, after a little oil, a few adjustments, and a lot of education, I got her figured out.

20151128_084116.jpg

I have no problem whatsoever sewing thru 1000 D Cordura with the urethane coating. As a matter of fact, I can sew several layers of the fabric, plus heavy duty webbing.

I use heavy duty, outdoor rated polyester thread from Joanne Fabrics with great success. The thread doesn't seem heavy, but 8 have a hard time breaking it with my hands, if at all.

I sewed the entire blind on my big boat with this combo. Worked great!

2013-12-22094325.jpg

More recently, I used it for the deck canvas blind on my sneakbox. It frowned a bit with several layers of this heavier stuff, but did it.

20151129_191742.jpg

Maybe one is available on one of those "e-sites" on the Internet.

Good luck!

Jon

Last edited:
Tom, I have 20 yards of original Mossy Oak Shadowgrass 1000D Cordura, so I am set on what fabric I want to use. I even have the heavy rubberized material that the originals employed at stress and wear point corners (A retired airforce guy had some he gave me...Mil Spec and very heavy duty!)

Tod O., yes Karen has a Viking/Husqvarna also. We replaced some broken buckles on the original blind last winter. Sewing through three layers of blind material and two layers of webbing really bogged her machine down.

Probably should stop typing. I am absolutely bushed from a deer drag.

Let's try this again. I'm traveling cross country, South Dakota to be exact, for my son's graduation from the state police academy. Tried to do this earlier, but had phone/Internet issues.

So, I bought this old Dressmaker sewing machine at a yard sale for like, $25. Some people say I "stole it" for that. I agree. Anyways, after a little oil, a few adjustments, and a lot of education, I got her figured out.

20151128_084116.jpg

I have no problem whatsoever sewing thru 1000 D Cordura with the urethane coating. As a matter of fact, I can sew several layers of the fabric, plus heavy duty webbing.

I use heavy duty, outdoor rated polyester thread from Joanne Fabrics with great success. The thread doesn't seem heavy, but 8 have a hard time breaking it with my hands, if at all.

I sewed the entire blind on my big boat with this combo. Worked great!

2013-12-22094325.jpg

More recently, I used it for the deck canvas blind on my sneakbox. It frowned a bit with several layers of this heavier stuff, but did it.

20151129_191742.jpg

Maybe one is available on one of those "e-sites" on the Internet.

Good luck!

Jon

yes thats a great old machine. The older machines are build much stronger than the new ones with all the plastic gears inside them.

Jon, I am going to follow your lead. I am about to purchase either a Toyota/White or a 1960s series Kenmore/Janome via a Wisconsin based business that refurbishes vintage machines. Both of these have 1.3 Amp motors and toothed belts with good foot clearance and metal "guts".

Back