Retriever trainig book

I'd like to ask the good members of this site for recommendations on retriever training books and or dvds. I've had to put down my twin springers over the last month and am now looking for a lab puppy. I'd prefer methods that don't involve electronic collars, not that I have anything against them. I'm trying to simplify things and don't care to purchase another gadget. Any other training resources would be appreciated also.
Thanks,

Chris

I would read 10-minute Retriever by the Dahls and follow Evan Graham's Smartworks program. If you just want one book get the Dahl's book. E-collar's are a gadget worth using if you want a retriever to do what you ask when they are too far away to touch them...

British Training for American Retrievers may be up your alley.

One thing many folks do is mix and match - a little from this book, a little from that, and that may not be very productive for you or the dog.

10 minute retriever by John and Amy Dahl is my all time favorite training book, although I certainly haven't come close to reading them all.

The Wolters books are great, but I've heard bad reviews from reliable sources on the "Water Dog" DVDs.

The bigger question is, what do you want out of your dog? Do you wish to tackle handling and blind retrieves?

Hi Chris - I have used Wolters book and it was very helpful many years ago. There are many other excellent systems for training a retriever but I feel compelled to share my experience over 30 years and 3 different retrievers. The dog that you start with is very important. Since you have had hunting dogs - take a few minutes and list the qualities that are important. At this time there are many options but the big difference between quality prospects is the choice between american field trial stock and european retrievers (british, scotish and irish etc). The training methods are also very different.

This assumes that you are willing to get a pup from a reputable breeder as opposed to a back yard breeding which is a long shot in most cases. My experience with 3 different dogs from field trial stock was that I will never forget their great moments and miss each one to this day but they were too hyper for my taste. Yes they would make some remarkable retrieves and had good nose, marking ability, drive and heart......... but they were all too excited between retrieves. I used e collars in some situations and also had the help of professional trainers. Some of their hyper traits were likely from training. There were hundreds of bumpers and birds to retrieve but little time spent honoring other dogs working.

In some situations here in the US force (ecollars, force fetch, etc.) have been used to correct traits that retrievers show like lack of steadiness, hard mouth etc. Most of us get so attached to a dog that we have them for the duration which is often 10 + years.

I have spent a lot of time researching british dogs and learning about what's likely different. it is my understanding that if a dog has a flaw it is not bred. I have been told that force fetch is not required. I spoke with a forum member who has a dog from britishlabs.com and learned that they have a training program on their website. I want a dog that is calm and retrieves naturally. A lot of the training for the british pups involves obedience and attention while not retrieving. It is a very different proposition but logical when you fully consider it - and I plan to for retriever # 4.

Hope this is helpful,

sarge

I would recommend Retrievers from the Inside, Out by Butch Goodwin. He has the book on CD and paper. The CD version has video clips to properly show you how to do things properly. He uses many different techniques from different trainers.

No matter what book, cd or DVD you use you will get out what you put into it. Also helps to have some training buddies to help you out when you need it.

Good Luck,

Bob

I second Ben's selection of 10 Minute Retriever followed by Smartworks. They helped me establish reasonable expectations and achieve them. All of the mistakes made were my own (primarily being inconsistent on enforcing behavior).

Smartworks, and buy the videos. I think there are discounts if you buy a package.

(and buy the e-collar too. Some situations just need an immediate remote correction)

Buy books and videos

Read books and watch videos

THEN buy pup

Also get the Tritronics training book. Check out ebay for that one.

I like Butch Goodwins articles in the retriever journal and I got to see an old video of his a long time ago. When my wife bought me the new program "Retrievers from the inside out" I was as impressed as the first times I had seen his work.
His web site gets you to where you can order.

Chris, I'm in agreement with all that's been posted so far. I've trained a few dogs and
find the most important thing is a good dog. The second thing is for you to be dedicated
to the training and have lots and lots of PATIENCE. I like Walters,Wildrose,and Butch's books.
Do yourself a favor and get a DVD too. With my first dog I used Walters book but I never
understood what was an acceptable response till I watched the tape.
In the end you will set your own standard , just remember to enjoy your time in the
yard and in the field with your new friend!!
John

I got the dog as far as i could by myself with books and dvds but in the end decided that sending the dog up to a trainer was the best idea. This is my first hunting dog and didn't want to screw her up. The dog goes for 3 months. Just wondering what to expect when i get her back? I will be going up there about every 2 weeks or so to see her progress and get trained myself how to run her. Im sending the dog to Swift River Retrievers with Buck Shope if anyone has sent their dog to him.

Another vote for Richard Wolters. I just got back from Sandwich Mass to pick out my new Chessie. He'll be a bruiser. I pick him up in 3 week and I'll be using Wolters book once again

Thanks to everyone for their leads and advice. I've got a lot to look at! I have time now to dedicate to a pup and am looking forward to training one myself (at least as far as I can!) so I guess I'll get crackin at the books and videos. I ordered a few books today from Amazon.

Regards,

Chris

Captain Jack, Will be going down to Sandwich myself this Saturday to check out the males. Litter looks like a good one. Will most likely be using Milners new training book Retriever Training back to the basics approach, also looking at 10 minute retriever.. cjd

Last edited:
The Pups are bueties Eric did a good job. He's got a bunch of fat little Chesapeake puppies. I think there all big for 4 weeks, I picked out the male with the white star on his chest. Its so much fun to look at a litter of pups. Good luck they're all perfect ad tearing the place up.

Jack,
is your boat named the Windy?
I fished and still work with Ron Helbig on Trophy Hunter for 4 years in the early 90's. We help Tom M on Mataura when he needs it.
Have fun with the new dog.

Bob Butler
Noank

Hey Bob You've got the right Jack. I know Ronnie and Tommy very well. I miss not seeing Ronnie out on the water. When you see him tell him I said Hello or tell him to come over here and drop me a note

Talked to Eric Monday said somone
fell for one of his males. Guess that must
be you. Goodluck with him. Cjd Yep that was me. I am going to pick up Gus on the 17th of April. That should be 8 weeks and 3 days, Maybe I'll meet you there. I am really looking forward to it. My wife wants a Shits Poo now. Thats going to be one combination in this house 2 Chessies and a foo foo

Back