Rickshaw mud motors

I have both homebuilt and the Rickshaw mud motor. Performance wise, the homebuilt and Rickshaw are about the same. As far as pushing your boat, both will push it about 5-6 mph.

Rickshaw has a nice handle design that can be adjusted to many different configurations which is a nice thing to have. The Honda mini 4 stroke is a very nice motor. Starts right up and runs very well. Having a 3:1 reducer does help get through some stuff the homebuilt has a little harder time with.

Downside onthe Rickshaw is the cast aluminun prop. If you hit something, that prop is going to shatter. I also do not recommend the cavatation plate if it costs you extra money. All is does in weeds is get sucked into the prop which slowly grinds the prop down. I also wish the shaft was a little longer

If you are the slightest bit handy, you can build your own for around $250 max. Here is the best thread on building your own. Very long ut everything you would need to know is in there.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/diy-marinizing/weed-eater-engine-conversion-1681.html

Mark W

Todd,

Mark pretty much nailed it (He owns my first one.) Yes, I'm inpressed with the design so much I bought a second one. I use one on a Fatboy. It's not a mud motor but it beats walking!

Picture213.jpg

Here's a short vid where I'm running the Rickshaw on the Fatboy. That day was me (220 lbs), my gun, shell box, kayak paddle and a dozen decoys. The Fatboy weighs around 90 lbs after the redesign and added flotation. I'm running in a channel around 2-3 ft deep with little vegitation other than duck weed and grass. As I look off to the right I couldn't run in that. That would take a real mud motor.

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r282/ejlydic/?action=view&current=duckwart_weeds.mp4

Light weeds and grass are no problem but anything thicker and you'll be poling. I'm not sure the motor will push a Four Rivers weighing 120 lbs empty to your satisfaction. Me? I'm getting old and slow so it's not a issue just as long as I get there....;-)

Hope this helps.

Ed L.

Yep...The Rickshaw does a pretty good job pushing the small boats. I just wish it had a little more umph to get me thru the Hydrilla!

Ed L.

Back