Ronan's Paints

Michael B

I need to order some 1/2 pints of a few seldomly used colors. I have two questions. First, does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of 1/2 pint cans of Ronan's? I usually order from Dick Blick but it looks like they only carry quarts now.
Second, does anyone transfer their paint from cans to jars with screw caps? No matter what, I never seem to get a good seal on the most expensive and seldomly used colors so I only make it through 1/4 pint before I have to toss the rest.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

MDI Wood Carvers Supply in Maine carries them. Real quick shipping, too. I've had similar problems with drying. I've put a sheet of plastic wrap over the top of the can before replacing the lid. Seems to form a gasket for the seal. Not foolproof, but it helps.

I also store my Ronans in the refrigerator in my shop. Seems to help them last longer. I will also stretch a latex glove over the top to help with sealing.

Best,
Steve

I need to order some 1/2 pints of a few seldomly used colors. I have two questions. First, does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of 1/2 pint cans of Ronan's? I usually order from Dick Blick but it looks like they only carry quarts now.
Second, does anyone transfer their paint from cans to jars with screw caps? No matter what, I never seem to get a good seal on the most expensive and seldomly used colors so I only make it through 1/4 pint before I have to toss the rest.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

I have had very good luck with putting ronans in glass jars meant for canning, use the metal lids on them. I keep a few of my most used colors in jars with lids after the tuna fish
comes out of them. just wipe the inside of the lids and the mouth of the jar so they do not stick together.

seriously, store them upside down.

make sure they are good and sealed first...

I agree....store upside down. Put nail holes in the groove to drain paint back down into the can...the lids seal against the outer rim. Also, if you are "down" a ways, either transfer to a smaller can or fill it up with rocks, marbles or ball bearings to eliminate the air in the can.
Lou

mike there is apaint and art store in hicksville long island, ny. its on rte 107 ( hicksville rd.) the name escapes me rite now. hope this help. rick

Thanks for all the replies. I got what I was looking for. I will try storing the cans upside down. I'd like to just carve more decoys and go through the paint faster, but that probably won't happen for a while.

Mike

Back