Salt Lake City - some recomendations?

Brandon Yuchasz

I am going to be in Salt Lake City for a few days this week. I am going out to learn about a specific piece of equipment for work and will be tied up one day with that. They just released the schedule for day two and although it relative to my field its not something I have any real need to learn about I just won't be using it in the foreseeable future. So I am considering playing hooky that day and renting a car driving out to see the great salt lake or the mountains or something. My wife and I own the business so she is attending as well and we both feel like seeing some of the natural beauty of the area.

I fly out tomorrow morning and until now didn't think I would have any free time so that is why I am asking you guys about this. Kinda short notice.

Thoughts recommendations? Is it possible to drive a few hours one way and see something worth seeing?

Brandon, I'm not positive. Current temperatures are above freezing during the day. They have a education / visitor center and an auto tour route. I haven't tried to find current waterfowl counts but it'll be much different habitat than you are used to seeing.

I'll second that Park City recommendation. Visit the Wasatch Brewing Co, in downtown Park City. Good food and drink. The winter Olympic ski area is right outside town and is pretty interesting. Bear River is the other way, (north), of Salt Lake City and is worth the effort to visit it as well.

I ski but my wife does not.

Brad I'll give them a call and see. If nothing else it looks like we could head up into the mountains after.

One of my Boston area employers had a division in Salt Lake & I used to go out there often.

Moab is just too far for a day trip.
You could rent snowmobiles in or around Park City. The ski mountain areas are less than a one hour drive from downtown Salt Lake.

I live in New England & Utah's mountains make ours look like foot hills. Compared to what you have in Michigan it will be like Nepal.

Think about extending your trip. Years ago I took our family out to Salt Lake to ski over Christmas/New Years. That year the skiing was bad so we took off & drove down to 4 Corners. Moab/Arches is terrific but once you go south and get down to the cliff dweller country it becomes magical.

Beautiful area, no wonder Brigham Young supposedly said this is the place, or words to that effect. John M. Browning's dad was gunsmith to the migration of Mormons and of course his famous son created tools for our (waterfowlers) kind of migration. And a few other famous ones as well:)
I really enjoyed my pilgrimage to the Browning museum where I viewed the prototype A-5, my favorite duck gun of all time. Downtown had a marvelous ice cream shop!

Something I wrote the first time I saw Salt Lake:
Salt Lake City, 1973
In the modern parlance, dis must be the place, as Brigham Young reportedly was first to remark. Perhaps not exactly in those words. A Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission public relations guy told me the Great Salt Lake has the best duck hunting in the world. I don’t know about that and may never know. But Utah certainly has everything else on view. When we came out into the Salt Lake region and saw the marsh land, the vast body of water in the distance, snow still on the mountains above the city—and seagulls flying in the sunset—I knew exactly what Brigham Young must have meant.
We stopped for dinner at a Sambo’s Restaurant on State Street, the name of the place making me wonder if Salt Lake City had even heard of the civil rights movement of the sixties. The decorations would argue that that they hadn’t. The waitress was friendly and helped us understand the peculiar scheme by which the city streets are laid out so we could find the Coleman repair shop for our ailing camp stove. She liked it that we were on a long road trip, imparted that she once traveled the nation with her father in his big semi-rig, and envies us.
We were here for the day, trying to decide what to see. The vagabond house of my dreams, like that of the poem, will be decorated with photos and mementos of places I have visited.
The Mormons put on a good, tasteful show of their religion around Temple Square, with only the slightest touches of grotesquerie. Each article of faith gets its own special spot in a gallery. Paintings of sturdy, muscular Biblical-looking characters with big honest hands and yeoman’s feet beneath the hem of rough robes are depicted as prophets, which Mormons consider necessary still, according to a footnote. And who’s to say they’re wrong?
Another footnote asserts that their articles of faith are a product of one inspired mind, not arrived at laboriously over the centuries by translations by scholars—a nice touch. Everything speaks to the uplifting of mankind. They included a quote from Paul, one of his best, about believe everything, hope everything, have endured much and with God’s help will endure. A statement of faith about all people’s right to worship; that intelligence is the true glory of God. Banks of colorful flowers are everywhere. The big temple, the iron seagull poised in flight above the street, the state capitol, all remarkable.
For counterpoint, a conversation overheard in Sambo’s, women very dissatisfied with life in this city, “snow as high as your house last winter, and now this, the second day in a row of 104-degree temperatures!”
“I wanted to live in Hawaii,” one confides, “or anyplace but here.”
“I was in Arizona last year when it was 120, so some places are worse,” her friend says but doesn’t sound convinced. The other didn’t act as if she believed it.
They hide out from 104-degree weather in the air conditioned restaurant and look at the snow on the mountain tops and heartily doubt this is the place, contrary to Brigham Young’s assertion.
“My kids aren’t coming back to Salt Lake for Christmas anymore,” one says ominously. “Come next year I may not be on the payroll either.”
Heaven is always just a little farther down the road.

Oooh oooh I can answer this! I'm actually in Logan which is about 90 miles north of SLC but I can make some recommendations. If you're interested in doing some bird watching there likely will be some open water at Farmington Bay, which is on the shore of the GSL and only about 1/2hr from downtown SLC. Also driving out to Antelope Island would be a great trip, you will get to cross a part of the lake and there is a wild buffalo herd out there. Also if you're interested in skiing there are 4 major resorts within a 1/2hr of downtown, plus like others have said Park City is a fun day trip too. It's a bit of a tourist zoo though, especially during the ski season. Driving up Big or Little Cottonwood canyon is worth it also, they are both beautiful and well worth the drive even if you aren't into skiing. If you like good food and beer I really recommend the Bayou restaurant downtown, they have great Cajun style food and over 100 beers available. I also recommend the Red Iguana on N Temple street for incredibly good Mexican food. If you want to take your wife out for a really nice dinner that isn't ridiculously expensive then check out the Bambara restaurant in the Hotel Monaco downtown, that's my favorite nice restaurant. If you have a chance to walk around downtown, the LDS Temple is worth checking out as it's a beautiful building.
If you aren't adverse to doing some driving I would recommend doing a loop trip from SLC to Park City, then north through Morgan up to Eden and back over North Ogden Pass to Ogden, which will spit you out just south of the Bear River refuge. The pass is a crazy, steep, winding road that is a lot of fun to drive and goes through some beautiful country. The refuge will be mostly iced up but there will probably be enough open water to do some bird watching.

This year has been unbelievably warm, so I'm not sure about snow conditions for skiing. Moab is beautiful and unique but it's probably too far for a day trip from SLC, it's about a 3 1/2hr drive away but if you get a chance then Moab, Canyonlands, and Arches are incredible. Also it's right next to some of my favorite elk hunting spots in the La Sal mountains. Let me know if you have any other questions, too bad you weren't here during duck season as we could have gotten you out on a hunt!

Last edited:
Thank you Cody. We are in town now and figuring out dinner for tonight probably Ruth Chris streak house its close by. I think we may do that loop your talked about. I want to see some of the country while we are out here.

Thank you Cody. We are in town now and figuring out dinner for tonight probably Ruth Chris streak house its close by. I think we may do that loop your talked about. I want to see some of the country while we are out here.

No problem Brandon. The loop road to Eden may get snowed on a bit from this storm but should still be passable. Let me know what you guys end up doing, hope you have a fun trip!

Back