scattered shots

Dick Sargeant

The past weekend was one wrong decision after another in terms of duck "hunting" and I really blew it yesterday with hundreds of new ducks........set up in the wrong place and did not want to admit it to myself until I ran out of time. I managed to set up about 200 + yards from where the ducks wanted to be and then ended up trying to compete with 7 decoys and suspect calling skills and hundreds of real birds intent upon making a ton of noise........will try not to make that mistake again on late season birds. I did manage to shoot a few over the past 2 weeks with the glass.
We have a few dozen pintails that have stayed and are feeding in the salt along with the blacks and mallards -

4866layer1.jpg

4870layer1.jpg

I sat on a rock in 8 degree weather for a couple hours to get this series -

4904layer1.jpg

4905layer1.jpg

4907pse.jpg

It would not be Ipswich without a few shots of blacks -

4727layer1.jpg

4769layer1.jpg

and they can also turn on the after burners -
4788layer1.jpg

4794layer1.jpg

and, if you will forgive a little creative license, I offer this image -

sunsetpse.jpg

The late goose season remains for about a month and so far the ice is not bad at all which is very unusual. One good snowstorm and I could be in business.

sarge

Well, done, Dick. There is no doubt that you had fun on that hunt. I, too, like that cropped shot of the bull sprig.
Al

Thanks guys.

The pintail duck's feet seem to disappear in flight. Not sure if they completely tuck into the feathers of if the color makes them invisible.

Dick

Great shots! Once the seasons end I intend on getting out with the long lense and taking some shots myself. The amount of birds that are around in Feb/March is unreal, I'm even thinking of launching my 14 and getting some sea duck pics around the corner.

Thanks for the visual hunt during lunchtime!

awesome, I have been trading the camera for my gun more often as my son gets older, i really need to get some better glass for my canon. those are very impressive shots

awesome, I have been trading the camera for my gun more often as my son gets older, i really need to get some better glass for my canon. those are very impressive shots

Hi - Not sure what you are using but a nice starter tele zoom is the 55-250.............very reasonable for what it can do. After that they get pricey and there are a lot of trade offs. As an example, I use a 400 prime but it is fairly slow at 5.6 so I need good light for good sharp images.
sarge

Sarge, i was looking at the 70-200 2.8L, not gonna happen this year as I have already blown the fun budget on boat and fishing gear but thats the one i was saving for. I was thinking it would still be a good portrait lens as well as a decent telephoto with a 1.5 or 2x doubler, you have any experience with that lens?

Sarge, i was looking at the 70-200 2.8L, not gonna happen this year as I have already blown the fun budget on boat and fishing gear but thats the one i was saving for. I was thinking it would still be a good portrait lens as well as a decent telephoto with a 1.5 or 2x doubler, you have any experience with that lens?

Hi - I have not used that particular lens but I think Al Hansen is using it. One thing to remember, if you take 2.8 and use a 2X extender, you lose 2 F stops and are shooting at 5.6 ...........fine on a nice sunny day. The 100-400 is another one to consider, I think Brian Rhodes uses that one but not sure. There are a lot of trade offs that you can explore on lens review sites.

I happen to prefer prime lenses and the faster the better. I think Gery March uses a 300, 2.8...........a serious piece of glass. I am hoping to get a nice used 200 2.8 prime for close shots over decoys.

regards,
sarge

Back