Senate Bill 787. Federal Seizure of ALL water.

The Feds tell everyone when they can open & close and the bag limits. Its called the seasonal framework and USFWS should have it out soon.

I know. I was busting Steve's chops.

The point is that the States do set open and close dates and bag limits, within the Federal framework. Some states take teal seasons, some don't, etc. The Fed sets the boundaries, the States pick within those boundaries.

I understand on one hand the importance of the provisions people want restored. But, on the other hand, I also am an advocate for property owner's rights. There is a certain part of me that believes a 3-acre wetland within Joe's 150-acre farm is nobody else's business. Now, if that wetland is crossing boundary lines, has an inflow/outflow stream/flowage, then it should get more involved.

I just had to bust brass a little for the "imagine if the States set their own seasons". Fact is, they do, within the framework of the Federal guidelines...they administer, oversee, etc. Arkansas could open in October, just like Illinois. Yes, we know...you open in October and close in January...don't rub it in...

If the States had the flexibility, I don't think Arkansas or Louisiana would have a closed season...

by providing the question that proves my point, "busting my chops"?......

OUCH then....please stop....it hurts too bad.....

Steve

Last edited:
I was calling you on the statement that the States don't set their own open and close dates....which is false. It was an off-the-cuff remark, as in, "oh, really, Steve...so USFWS announces your season start and finish dates out there? Gee...Arkansas Game & Fish handles that here...what did your State agency do?..."

That's all...I know full well the Fed sets the outer boundaries and the total number of days, etc.

I wasn't disagreeing on the States' abilities to manage wetlands uniformly. I work under several Federal programs that are administered by individual States; each State is similar, but different, in their requirements. It's a mess to try and work in multiple States and sort out who wants what form in what order...or different versions of the same form...

I say that the FEDS set our seasons and the States make a very minor choice within specific and rigid guidelines on opening and closing dates.....I don't call that "the State sets its own season"....you do....I say you're mistaken...you say I am.....

I'd equate that to menu's in resturants...you may order from the menu but you don't set it.....the resturant gives you "choices" that you choose from...if you don't like them you can't just say...."give me the XXXXXX even though its not on the menu".....to me the Fed's "range" is the "menu".....the States pick from within that menu....that maybe fine tuning but to me it isn't "setting" as thats already been done...

Semantics.....

Steve

Last edited:
Yes, Jay, on general principle everytime that man opens his mouth someone should kick him between the uprights.

I was on the computer with my Senators today and I doubt this bill will pass, it is being described as making everything up to and including the rain Federal Jurisdiction, wchich may be a neat way for the Clean Air act to shut down Ohio....not sure on that, BUT I am sure that any whacko bill like this has a good chance of passing only because everyone is assuming it won't!

Even those screaming State's Rights like they were when against the National CCW bill, are now saying "well....it IS about clean water..." and they dont want to be anti-green, it was clear to me in what I learned today that this is a BAD thing if oyu are a boater or a duckhunter not only because of the waters that now would be under Fed control but the waters that now would NOT be under the Feds...

When in doubt Never give the Federal Government more power over yourself, so urge your Senators to vote NO on S.787, it's bad for State's Rights and Bad for Agriculture and Recreational use.

Some people have no idea what they're talking about. This is a good bill, it's backed by DU and most of the conservation orgs and it's good for the ducks and all migratory birds for that matter as well as other wildlife. All water should be under federal jurisdiction because water moves across state lines, underground, as surface water and as rainfall. This is a precident that is well established and actually trailblazed by the founding of migratory bird law. It is part of the intent of the original clean water act, and this bill clarifys that. What's good for the ducks is good for duck hunters. Read the bill!!

Hitch

The Definition in the bill is shown here...

WATERS OF THE UNITED STATES- The term `waters of the United States' means all waters subject to the ebb and flow of the tide, the territorial seas, and all interstate and intrastate waters and their tributaries, including lakes, rivers, streams (including intermittent streams), mudflats, sandflats, wetlands, sloughs, prairie potholes, wet meadows, playa lakes, natural ponds, and all impoundments of the foregoing, to the fullest extent that these waters, or activities affecting these waters, are subject to the legislative power of Congress under the Constitution.

Sounds good for ducks to me!

And the wetlands in bold recharge and clean groundwater. Ground water recharges surface water through the underground aquifers.

Once wetlands are gone, there gone for good. I'm for no net loss of wetlands, what are you for?

Hitch

Back