Sevierville, TN

Chip M.

Staying here 3rd week in July. Anything I must do other than Dollywood and Smokey Mt. Knife works? I'm a foody and hate touristy spots. LOL

If you're trout fisherman there are some of the best streams in the east both inside and outside great smoky mountain national park. There's more water than you could fish in a lifetime

Add Slickrock Creek and Snowbird Creek, both outside the park. Pretty short hike (1 mile?) to the falls on Snowbird. And read Harry Middleton's "On the Spine of Time" while on the trip. One of the best senses of place I have ever gotten from a book.

The streams on the Cherokee reservation are stocked weekly, with a pile of trout. Nice size too, not dinks.
And cheap: $10/day for a license with a 10 fish limit.
Lots of videos on Youtube.

Just got back from Gatlinburg. Been several times before. This time we saw 16 bears total, lots of cubs and sows, and a boar. My favorite places to hit is Cades Coves for wildlife (Best spot to see bears) and Clingman's Dome (6643 ft elevation) can see 100 miles on a clear day. But I saw a couple sows and cubs in Gatlinburg downtown at Anakeesta while going up on ski lift on hillside and in Anakeesta park one evening. Best time to hit any place in the National Park is early morning. Crowds and parking fill up quick after 8 AM. So plan to be at any of those spots 8 AM or before. I know you hate tourist spots but in Pigeon Forge the Pirates Voyage Dinner & Show was good, entertaining and plenty of food (soup, biscuit, fried chicken breast, ham, mac and cheese, and dessert). This time we also went to Micro Wrestling in Pigeon Forge. This is the same ones that are on the Discovery Channel - Big Little Brawlers. Tickets were around $35 a person and fun to watch. It was not crowded at all and its a small venue so seating is close. Here is video of it showing the venue Micro Wrestling Video.

If you're feeling adventurous you are less than 60 miles from the toughest mountain bike park in N.A.: Windrock Bike Park in Oliver TN.. Don't forget to take your armor, you'll need it.

The streams on the Cherokee reservation are stocked weekly, with a pile of trout. Nice size too, not dinks.
And cheap: $10/day for a license with a 10 fish limit.
Lots of videos on Youtube.
Fascinating. I checked online and it looks very attractive.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to fish with my son who doesn't fly fish

You don't have to use fly gear on vast majority of the public waters on the reservation.
I think only the upstream of raven Fork is flyfishing only. The majority of the native stocked waters can be Spincast or bait as well

Check regs in GSMNP and the surrounding National Forests, too. I would not be surprised if a lot of it was Artificial Lures Only, but would if it was largely Fly Fishing Only. I last fished down there ~30 years ago, and did most of my fishing with a spinning rod.

Also do not forget to get the new Parking Pass to park at any of the National Park areas. You can get it at different stores, kiosks down there or can get them online and sent to you. $5 daily, $15 weekly, or $40 annually.

Parking Tag Information

Back