shaft length question

Is it possible to run a short shaft outboard on a hull intended for a long shaft?If u set the motor back on this combo using a setback device would it help? thanks for any input

Using a setback plate or a gill bracket will change the boats weight distribution at rest and on plane. I would exercise caution if you go that route. You may find that the amount of setback needed to gain the 5" needed to use a short shaft may put the motor pretty far back behind the existing transom. It will have a major effect on how the boats sits in the water at rest and depending on the hull design you may find the scuppers underwater with no way for a self bailing hull to bail.

I am running a long shaft on a pt 35 trim and tilt unit now and had to bring the motor up 2 inches according to the instructions,I just picked up another short shaft motor and was wondering if it would work

I did'nt know you were talking about a pt 35 trim and tilt unit. Is this on your TDB? My comments were for a larger boat. I'm not sure how it would work. The setback of only 5" does not seem like alot. I would think if you had to raise the existing long shaft 2" then you may have to drop the short shaft 3". I would call the manufacture to ask for there thoughts. They are likely to say if the boat calls for a long shaft then thats what you should use.

You should be able to buy a conversion kit that includes a spacer, driveshaft, water tube to convert the motor to a long shaft. At least you can with Johnsons and 'rudes.

Jim

Back