Sharptails

rob paetzold

I headed up to sunny North Dakota last weekend for grouse opener. On the way I stopped at willow creek kennels in little falls and picked up 2 shorthairs -Moose and Breezy had a great weekend working dogs. That Breezy dog is something else, twice in full gallop she spun around and locked into a statue point locating sharptails totally steady to shot and retrieved to hand it was fantastic!!Moose is no slouch either and Rollie my (gwp) did a nice job as well . Glad I brought three dogs because it was warm
Here's the tail gate shot on sunday Rollie was hiding in the shade of a hay bail and wanted nothing to do with having his picture taken.[inline]
P1000664.jpg

Saw alot of ducks and geese not as much water as I expected a lot of posted property- one guide in particular in posting up everything. I stopped at one of the land owners places i talk to once in a while and he concluded he sees less and less hunters every year because of land access issues- even locals

Last edited:
very nice, i will be out in less than a month. what area of the state were you in? How were the sharpie numbers? I know pheasants are down which is perfectly fine with me. Our area similar with posting but we still get lots of hunters because of all the PLOTS in the area. Our big guide finally went under for good, thank heavens.

Thanks

Bill

I was hunting near Mott-
As far as the dogs go. When I was hunt testing my gwp. Chad Hines the owner of willow creek kennels helped me alot.I dropped off my dog for training with him. He not only trained my dog he taught me as well. We would meet up at wma in Milaca after work- he was also working dogs for hunt test. So we took turns running dogs and setting bird. Now and then he will loan me a dog. He's and his wife are great. When I drop off the dogs I drop off a bottle crown royal.

Rob -
Ever hunt sharpies in MN? I haven't yet, but I can't be too far away from them. Just need to find a few.

NR

Nick,

You should be on top of a few where you are. I grew up in Koochiching county on the eastern border below the county seat.

While we never targeted the Sharpies with much effort there were enough around to hunt them when spotted from the school bus etc.

I think my bro in law has a lease for a hunting shack with the county near you. I'll ask if he sees any around there.

Eric

Rob -
Ever hunt sharpies in MN? I haven't yet, but I can't be too far away from them. Just need to find a few.

NR -------------------- I used to hunt in Tamerack Wildlife Refuge (some areas open). Its near Detroit Lakes. Full of ducks too.

Thanks for the help gentlemen!
I'm in Northome for what it's worth . . . didn't actually see any sharpies today, but did see some decent looking habitat.

Best,
NR

Back