Shell Lake, Mallard King Duck Skiff

Shawn Gibbons

I am new to this site and just purchased a Duck Skiff that I had initial intentions to use as a decorative piece in the house.

After getting it home I saw the manufatures tag and did a little research. It is a Mallard King duck skiff.
The canvas skin is not in good shape but all of the cedar on the interior is in great shape.

So why am I posting, wondering if anyone here knows much about these skiffs, are they collectable, are there many out there. I'm thinking about restoring it, love that wood work.

Also I looked for a model tag but cannot fond one.

The only information I found about the skiff only indicated a brochure in 1955

Thanks for some Insite.

Shawn,

Craig Carter bought his Mallard King , along with two other duck boats, from me. I believe that he's had the MK redone by Roland Thurbow, from Northwoods Canoe Co., in Atkinson, Maine.

We just finished a renovation on a Shell Lake double ender skiff. I'm figuring on posting pics of the rebuild but I'm having trouble with posting pics. I'll give Chuck & Eric a holler and see if they can figure it out since my computer guys says it has to be something on the site that is messing with posting. I'll figure it out and post up the renovation soon.
Lou

I'll give Chuck & Eric a holler and see if they can figure it out since my computer guys says it has to be something on the site that is messing with posting.

Lou

Lou, Lou, Lou...I don't know what you are doing. You used to post all the time. Did you say you got a new 'puter? What operating system and browser are you using?

Chuck

I'll give Chuck & Eric a holler and see if they can figure it out since my computer guys says it has to be something on the site that is messing with posting.

Lou

Lou, Lou, Lou...I don't know what you are doing. You used to post all the time. Did you say you got a new 'puter? What operating system and browser are you using?

Chuck

Chuck.... :) ....not something on purpose but something is preventing my pictures from showing up in the editor. They upload just fine and when I go to the window to load to post....it shows in the window but doesn't drop into the posting. It seems to be "there somewhere" but not in the post. How are you able to take the upload that I've done and post it? What am I missing?
Yes...I have a new 'puter with windows 7 and internet explorer but don't know what one....I'll have to check.
Lou

....it shows in the window but doesn't drop into the posting.

You mean it actually shows up in the text box (where you type your message) but vanishes when you click 'preview'? Or does it show there but vanish when you go to actually post it? Try uploading these pics of the Mallard King, post your reply even if the pics don't show and I'll take another look.

Chuck

Chuck,
Let's see if I can get this to work. This is the Shell Lake Mallard Queen advertisement and the Mallard Queen is the one we just finished renovating.
Lou
now....previously, I could upload, click on the "window frame" and the pic would drop right into this message spot. With this new computer, it shows the picture frame and when I click on it....the picture shows above the task bar in this window and won't show with the messages.

I uploaded the picture (with the inline checked) and when I click on the picture frame up top...the picture frame and task bar fade away and are not accessible. Any thoughts?????

View attachment ShellLakeMallardQueen-01.jpg

Last edited:
Lou

What I have found is sometimes (or maybe al the time) inteh advanced editor, in order to get that "picture frame" to work, you need to highlight an area to place the picture. Just put in a space (push the space bar once) on the line you want the picture to show) then take your mouse and highlight that space. The link to the "picture frame" should go live...or at least it did for me when I was in the edit function for your post. Otherwise it is all there. Goto 'edit' and give it a try. Not sure if this is something that changed with an update at one time or if it was always that way. I post most of my pictures from PB, but I run into this when editing other's posts to get the pics to show.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, that spacebar/highlight seemed to work on edit.
Now I'll get busy editing pics of the renovation and post them soon and can now post pics when the request comes up. Cool.
Lou

Thanks Chuck, that spacebar/highlight seemed to work on edit.
Now I'll get busy editing pics of the renovation and post them soon and can now post pics when the request comes up. Cool.
Lou

Sweet, I look forward to seeing the pics of the renovation

Chuck

MK_1
MK_4
MK_
MK_@

Posted a couple pictures of the Mallard King. As you can see the cedar interior wood seems to be in fairly good shape (I know the surprises happen once I would take off the old canvas).

Shawn

well I like Lou seem to be having issues with posting pictures.

I first attempted to do it as an attachment but the 100kb is to small. So reading the above advise I thought that I had it - hmm.

so i did the space bar - highlighted the space bar. Then i selected the Image icon in the tool bar and pasted in the link. The link does not show the picture ??

Fellow board member Dave Diefenderfer showed me an easy way to post pics....post you pic to your facebook account. Then click on that pic so that it expands. Then right click to copy and jump screen to the DB page and right click to paste it into the new message. Works every time for me....

John

That worked.
Here are the first pictures. Also if anyone knows were I might find the manufactures tag, can't seem to locate it. The bottom image shows the previous owners DNR registartion card nailed to the skiff.

Shawn

543770_305346789582076_1177785861_n.jpg

28050_305347756248646_834446562_n.jpg

14608_305348159581939_904705487_n.jpg

Shawn,

The boat that Craig picked up from me was a Mallard Queen. I've never seen the King before. Does it have the shell shelves on each in-side of the boat?

If you do redo this boat, try to use canvas. I feel the value will be greater if restored to it's original configuration. There's a book by Stelmok, Building the Maine Guide Canoe, that details making and bending ribs, and replacing planking. It also shows how to re-canvas a canoe, and fill the canvas before painting. This is the most important step in achieving a durable, waterproof covering.

This will be a great, classic boat when done. I've had many wooden duck skiffs, and they may be heavy but they are quiet, and they pole like a dream. Wish I still had my Peterson Pal, and could still pick it up and load it in my truck.

Good luck and do not get discouraged. It will be beautiful when done.

Art

Art,
Yes it does have the shell shelfs.

Thanks for the information. Ill get the book_sounds like it is very informative. I also have several old outboards and I think it will be a perfect skiff to run an old Neptune Mighty Might or a Sea Horse on. Actually that is why I was looking for the manufactures tag - thought that I might be able to match a motor with the boat. I will not start on this until spring - i figure ill research this on a bit.

If anyone else has information on these old skiff pass it on.

Shawn

Back