Shot size for brant?

Andy Grant

What shot size you using for brant? I plan to make another attempt this year. I will be taking my 12 gauge and shoot 3" shells with it. While I will hope for decoying birds with feet down, I may need to take a 30 - 40 yard shot.

I think you will do fine with #2's for brant I shoot #4's and have no problem putting down brant good luck

Brant are an elegant bird, but one of the easiest waterfowl to kill especially since they decoy well. Whatever ammunition you normally use for ducks in your area will be fine. Be careful if a flock comes by, they clump up and there's always the danger of killing multiple birds with one shot. Not good since the limit is 2.

I am most likely going to put off the hunt until next year. I have heard the West coast brant taste better than their East coast cousins. They still eat eel grass over hear. Of course I have never shot one and don't know. Although I am only looking for a couple that will go to the taxidermist any way.

throw a rock at them when they get close,why waste a shell on something unedible

haha yea they are pretty nasty tasting in the northeast. however, if you get down to the outerbanks area with all the eel grass they taste fine

We got Eel grass here, but it seems they're habituated to eating cabbage, makes them suck big time.
And no,....you can't make em taste good. :)

The brant I've shot were good eating (better than many a duck I've consumed).

I ate the breasts and legs (with skin and fat removed). Maybe that explains the difference.

Last edited:
normally use 3" #2 shot they fall as quick as a prom dress, but it shouldnt matter with what you use because if you are on the X the will be feet down in the spread

I use 3" #3 steel as my go to load for diver/puddle duck/brant combo hunts. I've killed them with #6, 2 3/4" low brass 12 ga when targeting divers and had them come right in. A little larger shot is nice to break a wing if need be.

As for taste (in the east)... I have found them an aquired taste but now enjoy them. Aging them a few days really helps.

Gene

Andy
We have hunted Brant out here in CA, for many years and have never had a bad one .
They have all tasted great .
We use 3" #2 , #3 and #4 shot .
Most of our hunts are from layout boats and they decoy easy most of the time .
Good luck with your hunt .

Back