Should this boat be saved?

Josh Schwenger

A friend at work asked if I would like to buy some outboards. I stopped over the old marina that has been closed down for a few years. Inside was a brand new 2 stoke 15 hp outboard never taken out of the crate. Outside I spotted a duckmachine/higbee. The sneak box had severe damage. I inquired about it and the owner is going to reach back out with a price. I asked my buddy who is a glass guy he said he could fix it but might not be worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2016.jpeg
    IMG_2016.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2058.png
    IMG_2058.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 64
Josh

Those repairs IMHO would be easy. Grind a shallow angle away from the crack and then re-build the area with epoxy and glass cloth on both sides of the hull. After sanded and faired nobody will be the wiser. If the price is good, which it should be under the circumstances, I see no reason you couldn't back your way into a sneakbox for minimal cost.

Josh

Those repairs IMHO would be easy. Grind a shallow angle away from the crack and then re-build the area with epoxy and glass cloth on both sides of the hull. After sanded and faired nobody will be the wiser. If the price is good, which it should be under the circumstances, I see no reason you couldn't back your way into a sneakbox for minimal cost.
Eric I hope to get it for a fair price. As well as the 15 hp outboard. The outboard is a long shaft so I will have to find a way to convert it to short shaft.

If the price of the hull is not free, I would pass. It certainly can be fixed, but in solid condition about a $1000 hull. Epoxy, glass and paint will get you close to halfway there.

Josh

I don't think you can reduce the shaft length. At least not economically. You will need to increase the transom height.

If the price of the hull is not free, I would pass. It certainly can be fixed, but in solid condition about a $1000 hull. Epoxy, glass and paint will get you close to halfway there.
I am waiting to hear back Dave there is another boat next to it that's in rough shape but no holes. I think this one is a displacement hull.

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 32
Eric I hope to get it for a fair price. As well as the 15 hp outboard. The outboard is a long shaft so I will have to find a way to convert it to short shaft.
Josh~

Reducing from 15" to 20" mostly involves replacing the drive shaft after removing the 5-inch "filler block" - IF it's like the old OMCs I'm familiar with. I have a "parts" 15 hp 2-cycle "short-shaft) Evinrude here. I'd be happy to give you the shaft (no pun intended).

Just let me know.

SJS

Josh~

Reducing from 15" to 20" mostly involves replacing the drive shaft after removing the 5-inch "filler block" - IF it's like the old OMCs I'm familiar with. I have a "parts" 15 hp 2-cycle "short-shaft) Evinrude here. I'd be happy to give you the shaft (no pun intended).

Just let me know.

SJS
Thanks Steve. There are two 9.9 s a 15 hp a 6 hp all brand new in the crate. Only issue is I'm not sure if they survived hurricane sandy. The gentleman who owns these has not agreed to sell. The owner also has a few sneak boxes inside. One is still under construction.

prepare needs to be re[ared from both sides all drill holes at end of crack to prevent further splitting
I worked in the materials testing lab at PNSY. as gem.engr. tech

Back