Show off your doublegun...

Steve Steffy

I've been looking at some mighty fine guns the past few weeks...drooling a LOT as well. I ended up picking up a Beretta SP1 last week, but man there are some real lookers out there. I enjoy looking at them almost as much as I do decoys or calls. So who's shooting a double? Let's see what you've got. I'll try and post up a picture of my new toy later on this weekend.

Steve

I have owned and shot many doubles in my life it's the same ol story, I'm BAD. Love doubles and the way they feel, but hunting, not enough birds. Just bought a Barker 410 hammer gun to hang on the wall. Had 12's, 20's and all the rest, but saw this one and had to pay too much for it.
I shoot sporting clays and love to watch the good guys shoot the SxS's.

The gun was not the focus but here it is. Winchester model 24. Made in 1948.

summit022_zpsa36720e0.jpg

summit030_zps4435ca4d.jpg

I haven't got all my pictures transferred to the new computer yet. This is the Holy Grail of my double collection and a little history of the gun and owners.

View attachment P1010249SM2.jpg
E.M. Reilly 8 bore
Manufactured 1871-1876*, 36 ½” 3 band Oxford Damascus steel barrels.

The gun came from the collection of Market Gunner Captain ”Buck” Leight (1856-1935) of Bush Neck, Maryland. Buck was a market hunter and is listed on page 9 of “The Outlaw Gunner” by Harry Walsh as owning a “Big” gun(punt gun).

Original Owner is believed to be R.B Bayard, which is engraved on the side of the frame. R.B. Bayard was most likely Richard Bassett Bayard, of the firm James Knox & Company, a commission and shipping merchants. R.B. was also a prominent member of the corn and flour exchange of Baltimore where he served with a Thomas Poultney. Poultney was a gun maker and seller from 1860-1876 according to the Gunsmiths of Maryland through a company called Poultney and Trimble. R.B. lived in Baltimore, MD from 1871 until his death in 1878. He was the son of Delaware Senator Richard H. Bayard and a member of a very prominent family from Delaware that include 6 generations of Delaware Senators. The Bayard’s were also noted hunters, with one of R.B. cousins being a known friend and hunting Partner of President Grover Cleveland. R.B.’s mother Mary Sophia Carroll was the Granddaughter of Charles Carroll the last living signer of the Declaration of Independence. Mary S Carroll’s brother Col. Charles Carroll is listed as a member of the Marshy Point Ducking club along with his son Gov. John Lee Carroll of Maryland (1876-1880). Marshy Point Ducking Club was located outside Baltimore MD, along Dundee and Saltpeter creeks on the Upper Chesapeake bay. President Benjamin Harrison, Babe Ruth, and Annie Oakley are among the notables that hunted the club. The club was also where the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was developed.

further research is on going on both known owners.

*These years are estimated based on proof marks that appear and don’t appear on the gun, along with the known dates R.B. Bayard lived in Baltimore, MD.

lr002bigcreeka.jpg

The only show off photo I have of my Dad's old Model 24 16g I/M. It is one of the best handling guns I have ever held. Everything that has ever gotten up in front of me in range while hunting with this gun has died. No other shotgun of mine can make that claim.

Big Creek, Nevada south of the old mining town of Austin on the Highway to Nowhere US50. We would head up there in the fall to pick purple goose berries, catch trout (one of those is a brown) and my dad would go for birds. On this trip chukar season was not open so they were everywhere. Dad and "Old Lady Matilda" took two Blue grouse while Mom, Sis, and I were picking berries. The dog gave up hunting due to Dad not shooting any of the chukar she was putting up. It was funny how mad she would get when Dad would not shoot birds for her. She was also one of those annoying dogs that only hunted when she smelled something. However, that allowed for some pretty close in your face flushes at times.

Bill

that is one great gun, do you know how the pistol grip was added?

this is one of those wish it could talk guns. The British are still able to hunt with the big bores and even punt guns. The thought being - you can only shoot so many birds, what does it matter what you kill them with as long as you stay in the limits

Reilly was one of the makers known for his big waterfowl guns

i posted this photo of a paragraph from an article in a recent issue of the Field ( a UK magazine) on another board recently when discussing British big bores

112613220137_zpsfeb61591.jpg

Last edited:
AYA 12 gauge The original point and shoot, what a great little gun, it handles great in the field, with hevi-metal #5's it is wicked on birds.

No I don't know when or how. The workmanship is very high quality though. At that time in Baltimore there where a number of "gun makers" that were bringing in english guns in the white and finishing them with their name. Poultney and Trimble was one of the makers and could easily done the work and with the likelihood of R.B. serving with Poultney that is my best guess.

Fred, glad to see there are ducks someplace in this state. I suppose if I had all the money these micro soft guys do I could buy into a duck club and bag some.... nay I wouldn't, not a proponent. It is nice to see some ducks though, went out scouting the entire morning today and not a duck to be seen, in a legal hunting area.

My 1908 Parker, inherited from my Uncle who taught me to hunt.
parker.jpg

parkerbills.jpg

112_1221.jpg

My Citori (assuming O/U are considered double guns).
7E5406B0-0DC1-46DF-9172-5F5BEED4FDC9-2920-0000060257ADDF95_zps0f8389cb.jpg

I might get this wrong, but Brad F's Ithaca/SKB with forearm by MLB Bob. I think the story is that this forearm was made from a piece of 100 year old pecan.
DSC03755.jpg

I started with a 12 gauge Husqvarna 615A and decided I wanted a heavier gun and moved to a 1938 Francotte imported by VL&D. This gun was originally built as a light 10 gauge (3 inch) but the prior owner had the chambers sleeved and Briley Tubes installed. In shades of Bo_Whoop the gun is now a heavily over bored 3" 12 gauge. The gun patterns great and my favorite fodder is 1_1/8 oz of ITX over Steel powder.
View attachment Francotte.jpg
2_3/4 handloads with 1_1/8 oz #2 ITX with roll crimps

View attachment IMG_1868 (2).jpg
I lenghtened the forcing cone, added a period recoil pad and opened the chokes to skeet 2 and LM on the Husky but it doesn't pattern non-toxic well so it has become my pheasant double. I should put it back in the classifieds I really want another Francotte.

I really enjoyed the various posts regarding double guns. At least for me, they go hand and hand with Barnegat boats and hand carved decoys. I have been lucky to have owned a lot of double guns over the years. My guess is somewhere near 35 or 40. While I liked them all, I seemed to switch around, selling some, buying others to replace the guns sold. But I still have the first double that I owned. (I started out with a Parker VH 410 that was loaned to me by a friend on my fathers.) That first gun was a Fox Model B 20 bore. I got it Christmas morning 1953. Shot my first duck with it that afternoon, a black duck from Virginia's Smith River. I still use it for snipe with steel 7s. While it isn't nearly as good as the AH Fox guns, it still isn't bad.
I can say that without question, guns from Charles Boswell are my favorites. I have owned 9 of them, and still have two. A few years back, when I decided to thin out some guns, I had a Purdey pigeon gun, and a Charles Boswell Best boxlock pigeon gun. I decided one needed to go. I didn't think twice about selling the Purdey.
While I have posted this before, I will again for those that missed it. My all time favorite doubles for waterfowling are old 10 bores, sleeved and chambered into 3 inch 12s. I currently have 4 of these, a LC Smith O Grade, a W&C Scott backaction grade C, a W&C Scott Premier Grade, and a Charles Boswell. By and large one can pick up old 10s at ok prices. Briley charges $2000.00 to do the sleeving and chambering. I also have an Ithaca Super 10 (the one with the 2 7/8 chambers) that I had Briley just chamber, as the barrels were steel. And I have one of the Field Grade Ithaca 3 1/2 10s, that I once used in the lead shot days, now only use it for turkeys. Those old 10s make classic, heavy waterfowl guns!
And perhaps most important, just having one in the field makes my day just that much better. Worth Mathewson

Worth, any chance of a few pictures of your Scott that was lost and then found? I very much enjoyed that tale in one of your books.

Back