Show off your doublegun...

"My Citori (assuming O/U are considered double guns). "

I remember reading a book many years ago where the author divided everything into two categories (may have been Joel Vance)

In his chapter on guns he said there were two kinds of guns - double barrels and everything else

then he said there were two kinds of doubles,

one - those where one barrel somehow slipped under the other

and two-- those with the barrels side by side like God intended them ;-)

I shot more than a few ducks and some geese with my Citori when I owned one, solid performers

My every day gun is a Browning Citori Satin Hunter, a stack-barreled gun and quite deadly. I am known, on occasion, to shoot a Burt Becker barreled A. H. Fox HE grade, 32" barrels with 2 3/4" chambers. The gun patterns at 91% in the right tube and a mere 90% in the left. This is an average of 5 shots per tube using Winchester Super Pigeon (XX) 1 1/4 oz. loads.

fox1.jpg

A very sweet shooting gun to just beyond 70 yds.

I recently purchased a CZ-USA Ringneck Target double. It has 30" barrels and can shoot 3" shell. The pull length is 14 3/4", has a single select trigger and has the stock dimensions of an Rem. 870. I have not shoot this double much and tried it at trap and skeet for a starter. It has flat springs and firing pins on hammers. It had a heavy trigger pull of about 8 lbs. Trimming the stock down to 14 1/2" pull length and get the sears polished for a better pull weight will be good. It came with two flush choke tubes and three set of extended choke tubes for target shooting. It has some decent straight gain walnut stocks. The gun is made in turkey.

Steve , does this mean the 21" 870 turkey gun has met it's retirement? If so thank god, my ear drums thank you:)

Gene

Here's a pic of My Beretta 686 SE

First gun I ever bought new.

I got it from a gunsmith buddy who had just opened a new gunshop in 1997.

I use it from everything from Turkeys to Rails. It just fits.

Even though it was in a gun cabinet It got mighty messed up in the fire.

I had the whole thing gone over, barrels resoldered, reblued and stock refinished. Would of been easier to get a new gun, but it has far to much sentimental value. Hopefully one day I can give it to my son. Here's a pic from a few years ago.

Here it is. I haven't ever hunted with this one. It's my Dad's Winchester Model 24, serial number 3393. If my research is correct that means it was built in 1939, which was the first year they were built. My Dad gave it to me a couple years ago. I've been thinking that I need to get some bismuth and take it out. My wood Sneakboat and hand carved decoys deserve an old double gun.

image_zpsb2e43767.jpg
[/URL]

The gentleman that got me into duck hunting had a matched set of all gauges of this upland Citori made. He was a fairly short statured guy so he sent the guns in to get cut down at the factory. This 12 ga has a shortened stock and shortened barrels that he had made to be his brush gun. His son got the set and I managed to talk him out of the 12 as he absolutely hated the stock. I can actually shoot it very well if I snap shoot the gun. At some point I will try and have a 15.5" LOP stock made for it. Till then I'll make due.

Here are my contributions...first the old hand-me-down from my Dad. An old A.H. Fox Sterlingworth in 12 ga. I'm thinking of taking this one and having it professionally restored, the stock has seen better days. Maybe next time I go to the gun shop I'll bring this one along. This is the first gun I ever hunted with. My dad took me "fox hunting" in SC. Well, that's what he said anyway. He put in a "good spot" when I was 12 years old and told me if a fox wandered by go ahead and shoot it. Meanwhile, the archeologist in him got the better of him and he was off looking for arrowheads and artifacts while I stood there patiently waiting. Nope, no fox that day. I have taken it out pheasant hunting a time or two, but never with any luck.

dfc57dc1-7981-4576-9105-b86e481dbdb5_zpsb7dd10f8.jpg

2603ae15-6e60-4529-b732-3a7668b7eb5f_zps9204a86c.jpg

And my new toy...I haven't even fired this one yet. Beretta Silver Pigeon I Sporting in 12 ga w/ 30" barrels. I went into the gun shop w/ every intention of buying an SP III, I found I've become somewhat of a wood snob since I started making calls, but the SP I had a better looking stock on it. The price increase just wasn't justified to make the upgrade with what they had in stock. They do have another 687 w/ 32" barrels that I will be watching though. Wow! is all I can say about the wood on that one.

7d024a9a-160d-4a92-9941-28961441a3e0_zps0085ebbb.jpg

851d54a2-0983-4aa2-8e21-6ce3a2826245_zps6963bd23.jpg

190bb99f-2b48-4534-b831-d8436da565e2_zps85bf522a.jpg

Awesome looking guns everybody, thanks for sharing. And Gene, the 870 is not going into retirement. I'll bring that one along for those special occasions when I hunt with you. I think you can still hear out of one ear can't you?

Steve

Steve, very nice purchase!!! Great wood grain. There is something about dbl's that make it special gunning for ducks and geese. I'll bring my Citori and have 2 shot hunt down on the shore next year.

Gene

Scott, The second photo with daughter gun and dog is priceless. You should be proud and I'm sure you are.
Gene

You bet Gene...I'll be bringing the 870 along too though.

This is the one I REEAAALLY wanted to get. I'm still watching it hoping it doesn't sell.
687_zps00631e46.jpg

Oh my! I don't know if I could think about getting salt water on that gun. But you'd sure look good doubling up on brant with that gun. I'll try and dig up some photos of my different over/unders.
Gene

Steve, have you shot a trap stock before on waterfowl? You may want to try one with the proper stock dimensions prior going after that Beretta...

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Steve, have you shot a trap stock before on waterfowl? You may want to try one with the proper stock dimensions prior going after that Beretta...
Nope, I already bought the Beretta in the first picture. I don't plan to take it out on every hunt with me. Only those hunts where the chance of getting beat up are minimal. And I certainly wouldn't be taking the second one with the 32" barrels out to the field very often. It would likely be relegated to trap shooting duty mostly...if I were to buy it that is.

On that note, I guess I'm looking at these as more of an investment for the future than anything. God knows there won't be any social security funds left by the time I retire. My wife isn't overly excited about this, but she'll thank me later, or the kids will thank me when they inherit my guns.

Steve
[/font]

Well, it has been a long time since I have been on here a few years at least. My avatar shows a picture from several years ago. It was taken at Beaver Dam in Mississippi. The cabin I am standing in front of was Horace Miller and Molly's home for a period of time. Those of you familiar with the Nash Buckingham tomes will know who these folks were. The gun I'm holding is a Fox that belonged to (first) my uncle, and then my father who passed in 1990. It has since been mine. It is choked full and extra full.

View attachment Xmas Park hunt 023a.jpg

Steve Steffy wrote:

Here are my contributions...first the old hand-me-down from my Dad. An old A.H. Fox Sterlingworth in 12 ga. I'm thinking of taking this one and having it professionally restored, the stock has seen better days. Maybe next time I go to the gun shop I'll bring this one along.

Nice Sterlingworth, looks to be a Philadelphia addressed extractor gun. What is it's configuration, barrel length and chokes?

I too have a Sterlingworth (well, two Sterlies) that I am considering having restored professionaly. It is a rather unique gun being a Parker hinge-pin gun, i.e., an early one. The Parker style pin guns were perhaps a jab by Ansley H. at his rival Parker. When I say "unique", my gun is truly the definition of the word. It is the only known "pin" gun with ejectors. In talking to Michael McIntosh 20 or so years ago he said another gentleman claimed to have one but could never produce it. Michael surmised that the pin guns were produced until some time in 1912 and ejectors were first offered in 1913. My gun is mentioned in Michael's book along with some other late pin guns, but none of them had ejectors. The weird thing about my gun is that, in a letter from Savage historian Roe Clark, he stated that the records show it was a consignment gun shipped to Pacific Hardware & Steel, San Fransisco, CA in April 1913. Ejectors are a $25 option on a $25 gun. Until I was 4 years old I lived in Menlo Park, CA and my dad used to duck hunt the south end of the bay. They killed mostly Canvasbacks, Redheads and Scaup with the occasional puddler. One of my bucket hunts would be to go on that hunt with the restored Sterlingworth. I would wager it's been there before.

Back