small boat trailers...

tod osier

Gold Sponsor
I need (want) to replace the trailer for my Snowgoose, I've had it on an EZ Loader that I bought new when I built, I've been real happy with it. Trailer looks great even with a lot of saltwater use, but I had a mishap a couple years back where one of the axle u bolts gave way and the axle came loose resulting in a dent in the frame. At the time I said: "The main frame support (leg of the "A" has a small dent/kink in the bottom where the fender/step was twisted up when it grabbed the tire, but I think it is OK." After a couple years it is apparent that it isn't "OK" and the frame is starting to sag where it got dented from below.

1) I want a hot dipped (lots of saltwater use) and high quality trailer with parts widely available with a similar (or slightly higher) price point to the EZ Loader. I'm perfectly happy to go that route again, but would want to get something better if it was out there.

2) What about a torsion axle on small trailer???? Is anyone here using torsion axles on small trailers (EZ Loader lists them as an option)?

T

Looks like my local dealer now carries LOADRITE not EZ loader and that seems like another quality option.

Tod,

I have zero experience with torsion axles except a casual glance now and then. Therefore I will offer my free opinion, and worth every penny. [whistle]

I'll assume that as with most every "option" choice, there is a cost to benefit ratio. I'd also assume that trailer manufactures and some of their largest customers, for example rental trailers, have carefully considered the cost benefit between the two systems. It would appear that overall the leaf spring configuration is the clear winner in regards to number of units on the road. Therefore availability of repair parts and qualified repair personnel should also be in the majority for a leaf spring system.

How many "mishaps" have occurred with your leaf spring system over the years? Are you trying to correct a problem which does not exist?

That said, in the little reading I did after you asked the question, it does seem that a torsion system has it's advantages for the saltwater environment.

This still brings me back to your requirement, "high quality trailer with parts widely available". I'm not sure the torsion system qualifies. Are there a lot of torsion trailers in use in your area? Do you plan to tow your trailer out of your area on a regular basis? Obviously the torsion system eliminates most of the maintenance items of a leaf spring system.

On a personal note I have a similar situation. The boat trailer I purchased in Connecticut a few years back, uses oil filled hubs. I think they are great. I seriously doubt any shop in my area has the replacement parts readily available on their shelves . I am willing to take that risk, although I should probably put together my own repair/replace kit for at least one hub. So far I have never towed this trailer beyond 130 miles from home. Oh and yes, I've had to replace rusty bolts on the leaf spring suspension of this trailer.

I'm still hurt that you came to CT and didn't visit.

On the leaf springs, I have had exactly 2 spring problems with them on my current snowgoose trailer, that is about 2/3 of the overall problems I've had (third is I broke a frame cross member doing something stupid, sorry no pics). I broke a spring when the trailer was about 10 years old and I can't say if it was a manufacturing defect or the result of salt and rust in the stack (it sure was rusty). Second issue was the failed "U" bolt that attached the springs to the axle that caused this issue. So I have had some problems that torsion axles might alleviate. Maybe I'm cranky, but the way the springs are set up currently (lots of play and steel on steel) are really crappy and loud, so torsion would be a positive there too for quietness and the saltwater corrosion benefits. I'm imagining gliding down the road clank free as a positive.

I've owned an oil bath hub trailer. I didn't own it long enough to have an opinion, but it looked good. I have no problem with keeping up with grease on bearing buddies or occasionally repacking a bearing, but I'm not scared of the oil option.. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tod~

I own one LoadRite trailer - a 4x10 flatbed - that I absolutely love. I have had it about 10 years now. The brand would be my first choice if shopping for a new one.

All the best,

SJS

Steve Sanford said:
Tod~

I own one LoadRite trailer - a 4x10 flatbed - that I absolutely love. I have had it about 10 years now. The brand would be my first choice if shopping for a new one.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks! Is it hot dipped? I'm interested in the status of the plating/galvanizing on the bolts if yes.

T

Last edited:
I've had two Magic-tilt trailers. One new, one used.

They held up well even in 100% salt/brackish use.

Have you thought about dropping the $$ for an aluminum frame?

Tod~

Yes.....I believe so.

Plated galvanizing is OK for garbage cans - and not much else - in my experience.

SJS

Carl said:
I've had two Magic-tilt trailers. One new, one used.

They held up well even in 100% salt/brackish use.

Have you thought about dropping the $$ for an aluminum frame?

No Magic tilt dealer in CT :(. Thanks tho.

I haven't seen an aluminum trailer under a duckboat, but as I understand it aluminum are more common in the South in general than the North. Any idea how much more they are?

Own 3 Loadrites , 1 from early 70,s and newest about 10 years old w/torsion axle under it. No issues on it trailering a heavy 20x72 aluminum Seaark w/90. Second oldest I bought from insurance claim that new owner trashed axle on his first trip pulling a new carolina skiff across a 8" curb. Lucky for me as I just put a new axle under it and its a great trailer for pulling a 16x48 aluminum boat. All 3 in my opinion are quality trailers w/many worry free years ahead of them. Friend of mine replaced a traioler under his 2472 cabin boat w/aluminum trailer . The only issue I see is the parts that normally take a crap after salt water exposure, axle, springs, are still the same as a galvinised trailer, So what you,ve bought are shiny rails. My personal trailers are rinsed in fresh water dip after salt water or road salt exposure. Thus no rust issues.

The rubber that is the "spring" in the torsion axles will deteriorate eventually. May last longer than leaves, I don't know. But I would definitely do some google searching and see if there are any you tube videos as well. I'm sure that you aren't the first person with this question. I can say that torsion axles that I have used and been around are usually pretty smooth and quiet riding.

I have 5 trailers in the yard now, all hot dipped. 13' to 26' boats and they all look good. Have never bought a new trailer, have always found really good used one's here. Many brands out there and most look good.
Main thing to me is maintance, like bearings and hardware. Buy quality bearings and hardware and they last. Bought cabelas hot dipped guide ons and they have lasted over 20 years. Always seem to find good used stuff at a decent price .

Torsion axel.
I see that same setup on outdoor adult exercise equipment.
We do not get a lifetime of use before the rubber inside the unit fails.
I am not sure it it is any different with axel. I would see what the repair or replacement intails before I would even think of trying.

Bill Ferrar said:
Torsion axel.
I see that same setup on outdoor adult exercise equipment.
We do not get a lifetime of use before the rubber inside the unit fails.
I am not sure it it is any different with axel. I would see what the repair or replacement intails before I would even think of trying.

Good point on replacement, I do all my work myself and from what I've seen dealing with the torsion axle setups seems easier if anything than springs (cost is another thing and I don't' have good data there). I have to get some quotes next week to see how the cost plays out.

Capt Rich Geminski said:
I have 5 trailers in the yard now, all hot dipped. 13' to 26' boats and they all look good. Have never bought a new trailer, have always found really good used one's here. Many brands out there and most look good.
Main thing to me is maintance, like bearings and hardware. Buy quality bearings and hardware and they last. Bought cabelas hot dipped guide ons and they have lasted over 20 years. Always seem to find good used stuff at a decent price .

For something like that I like knowing that it was rinsed well every use, so I'm looking new.

roy brewington said:
Own 3 Loadrites , 1 from early 70,s and newest about 10 years old w/torsion axle under it. No issues on it trailering a heavy 20x72 aluminum Seaark w/90. Second oldest I bought from insurance claim that new owner trashed axle on his first trip pulling a new carolina skiff across a 8" curb. Lucky for me as I just put a new axle under it and its a great trailer for pulling a 16x48 aluminum boat. All 3 in my opinion are quality trailers w/many worry free years ahead of them. Friend of mine replaced a traioler under his 2472 cabin boat w/aluminum trailer . The only issue I see is the parts that normally take a crap after salt water exposure, axle, springs, are still the same as a galvinised trailer, So what you,ve bought are shiny rails. My personal trailers are rinsed in fresh water dip after salt water or road salt exposure. Thus no rust issues.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll give the loadrite dealer a call next week and see if they have anything on the lot to look at (I'm under self-quarantine right now).

davidwalton said:
The rubber that is the "spring" in the torsion axles will deteriorate eventually. May last longer than leaves, I don't know. But I would definitely do some google searching and see if there are any you tube videos as well. I'm sure that you aren't the first person with this question. I can say that torsion axles that I have used and been around are usually pretty smooth and quiet riding.

I started with a google search, naturally and most of what I found was on larger trailers, hence the question looking for thoughts on small trailers. Both manufacturers I'm looking at offer torsion as an option. Thanks, T

I washed the big trailer with a wash kit the first year. After that the trailer only got dunked during hurricanes. Had to do a complete brake job later, so I had it done with the travel lift. The small trailers get dunked all the time. Guess that's why I buy used ones. Used trailers are easy to find here. Guess I'm lazy?

Interesting updates on several fronts. Trailer inventory is very low due to coronavirus with the plants being shut down.

I found a Loadrite model that actually fits the boat better than my current trailer (wider between fenders allows the boat to sit in vs perched on the trailer). Loadrite come with torsion axles standard, so I'm interested to see how they are.

I put money down with a local dealer, the trailer is supposed to be 4 weeks out. We will see.

Back