Sneakbox identification needed

Walter Wilson

Hi there I picked this boat up in northern VT from an older couple that the husband just passed away, And I am having trouble trying to identify its age and builder , if you need any other pictures please let me know thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7481.jpeg
    IMG_7481.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7482.jpeg
    IMG_7482.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 42
Is the bottom an arc or V bottom?

Rick
It’s a rounded displacement hull , it a type of barnegat bay sneak box . 12’ long , I don’t know the beam measurements, but could get that if it mattered . The oar locks are old heavy duty brass that flip into the hull , but they could have been updated to those maybe , there are those two grass rails front and back that are removable and are situated into round holes with wooden pegs on grass rails . Any other identifying characteristics that could help let me know I’ll take pictures and measurements for you. Thanks. !!

I’m glad I decided to take more pictures I found that my roof was leaking and so are the gunnels , so don’t mind the water it’s cleaned up now .
the ribs are sawn not steamed and a very low depth . Here is more pictures

Attachments

• IMG_7486.jpeg
    IMG_7486.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7487.jpeg
    IMG_7487.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7488.jpeg
    IMG_7488.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7489.jpeg
    IMG_7489.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7490.jpeg
    IMG_7490.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7491.jpeg
    IMG_7491.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7492.jpeg
    IMG_7492.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7493.jpeg
    IMG_7493.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 28
Looks like a decent hull. You might reach out to Eddie Gagne, he found it originally, and collected the decoys that were with it originally, some Herters and Wildfowlers. I had some correspondence about it more than a yr ago, but can not find it now.

Looks like a nice deep hull, so certainly a stable platform. I like the oar locks, perfect on a sneakbox, out of the way, until you need them.

I’m glad I decided to take more pictures I found that my roof was leaking and so are the gunnels , so don’t mind the water it’s cleaned up now .
the ribs are sawn not steamed and a very low depth . Here is more pictures
I have a sneakbox hull I picked up from Egg Harbor City, NJ area that has the same sawn split frame construction. I like the oarlocks I have never seen that style before.

Is it glass over cedar construction? I would guess it is a 50's era construction.

I have a sneakbox hull I picked up from Egg Harbor City, NJ area that has the same sawn split frame construction. I like the oarlocks I have never seen that style before.

Is it glass over cedar construction? I would guess it is a 50's era construction.
Many sneak boxes from the 1920s up through the 80s and 90s featured Sawn Ribs construction. It is a pretty common feature especially once makers had access to ban saws and commercial lumber yards.

Is the boat all the cedar planking or is there any plywood construction in the deck etc.?

I would focus on identifying the oar locks. That may lead you somewhere. Ive seen those before somewhere, just cant place it. I dont think those were germain to BBSB. Im thinking some sort of rowing skiff.

Looks like a decent hull. You might reach out to Eddie Gagne, he found it originally, and collected the decoys that were with it originally, some Herters and Wildfowlers. I had some correspondence about it more than a yr ago, but can not find it now.

Looks like a nice deep hull, so certainly a stable platform. I like the oar locks, perfect on a sneakbox, out of the way, until you need them.
Thanks yea I bought it from abut who was selling it for a lady that I believe her husband passed away , I need to try and find the guys name who sold it for her . It was a unique name guy in 30s head of ducks unlimited chapter in northern Vt i believe. Or the diners or such . He didn’t know much but he would know the last owners name atleast . So you are saying you were looking at it as well when it was for sale ?

Many sneak boxes from the 1920s up through the 80s and 90s featured Sawn Ribs construction. It is a pretty common feature especially once makers had access to ban saws and commercial lumber yards.

Is the boat all the cedar planking or is there any plywood construction in the deck etc.?
All cedar and a light glass over it but if I had to guess it was referbished and not sure if it was always glasses or updated to glass . I don’t see any caulking between boards left but there is a unique center board on the bottom /front . I don’t think for sailing but maybe just for strength ?

Attachments

• IMG_7487.jpeg
    IMG_7487.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 6
Thanks yea I bought it from abut who was selling it for a lady that I believe her husband passed away , I need to try and find the guys name who sold it for her . It was a unique name guy in 30s head of ducks unlimited chapter in northern Vt i believe. Or the diners or such . He didn’t know much but he would know the last owners name atleast . So you are saying you were looking at it as well when it was for sale ?
Either Eddie or John Bourbon reached out to me to find out more about it. I saw a few pictures of it before sold, loaded with the decoys that piqued my interest! I know Eddie and John got some of the decoys. Eddie is up north in VT, Swanton area I believe.

Back