Snorkeling off Montauk

William Stahl

DSCF6211.jpg

Tried out my new dry-suit off Montauk before Christmas last week. Got lucky with this young drake Eider!
Heading to AK tomorrow!!!
-

Bill,
that is one of the coolest shots I have seen!
Did you see any blackfish? Looks like the birds have just as much fun on the rips of the point as the fish do.

Thanks for sharing that. Must have been before the blow we are getting right now......

Hey Bill It was great meeting you up at Orient. That is an awsome shot. But I have to tell you , you are one crazy SOB to be snorkling at this time of the year.Didnt you read the sing up at the Lighthouse that said Snorkling was prohibited.

That is a hell of a photo!
How Stanley Meltzoff started painting fish underwater though. He used to spear fish in plum gut and around the island for bass and bluefish. Started painting from memory and now look at his art! He started an entirely new type of fish painting....Maybe this will lead to ducks feeding naturally.
I'm really impressed with it, but listen to Jack and be very careful at Montauk now and never go alone....
Bill

Cool mount, is it yours or in a display/museum????

(The tipped over tunicate is a dead give away!)

That is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen! Since it's duck season, you could have brought your speargun and gone duck hunting underwater, ha ha!

This is a legit photo... I don't think it's a museum mount. There's too much reflection off particles in the water. When I snorkeled up in Alaska my photos turned out the same way. I tried to take photos of diving Harlequins, with no luck.

I tend to agree with you Chris, I see a lot of back scatter. Either that or there is a dirty window in front of the mount. Sure looks like a for-real pic though. That and I'm pretty sure that I already knew he was a diver.

Ya know the guy has nothing to prove to us. He took the photo and posted it for our enjoyment he sholdnt have to defend himself or his photo man some guys are just ball busters

I've been on this site since 1998 and have never been labeled a "ball buster".
I'm just making the observation that the "tunicate" laying on its side on the bottom right apears to be a replica, or it has a really flat bottom and there is absolutely no current to wash it away.
I think he posted it joking around, but if I am wrong, and he did take this shot underwater the other day, I will man-up and apologize for my skepticism.

Carl,
there are a small but dedicated group of hard core guys here that dive all winter. It is the clear water that drives them. Way more vis. than the rest of the year. I think Scott F. used to be one of them. Ive stayed away from below 49 deg. but my coworker was surfing last week! There isnt a pond that cant be walked on here.

I dont know a taxadermist that could get the bottom look like that. Granite cobble with the life on the rocks.... Color is flash driven.
I cant say either way, but it must have been something to get a bird right next to the camera. Could have only been better if it was a tuna fish!!!!!!

Back