Snow Floaters DIY

Matt Vanderpan

I am making some Snow v boards for spring hunting. Here are a couple photos of the Sillo's in various stages.

First photo is a 1/4" silo with the bottom sealed with a coat of varnish and a Sillosock bill sticker. The sticker was attached with 3m Super 77. The stickers are cheap and look good but I have no idea how they'll hold up to a spring of mud and slop. I stuck one in a cup of water over night and I could not peel it off so...... We'll see.

SOBs001.jpg

The second photo shows the sillo coated in saw dust. The saw dust is attached to the decoy with tite bond II. I applied the glue with a 3.5" paint roller and sprinkled the saw dust on one side at a time. I would then tap the edge to get the excess off. After that side dried I would knock down the loose sawdust with a 2x4 block. Then I would flip it over and coat the other side.

SOBs002.jpg

The third photo is the decoy painted with flat white acrylic house paint. The painting step is also done one side at a time.

SOBs003.jpg

Photo 4 one doz. done Just need to add the eyes then they are ready for the Frames!! The eyes are fairly easy just black model paint and a Q tip. After all our snow melts I'll get some pics of the decoys in action!!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc47/siouxoutlaw/SOBs005.jpg
SOBs005.jpg

Enjoy!

-Matt

Those look good!! I have not tried booting yet but am planning on doing it for swans next fall. I have also made a bunch of Swan Vboards. It is a toss-up if swan decoys are more deadly on swans or ducks. I also like the Whitetail graphic on the front of the canoe!

Matt-

Do you have any pictures or details on the y-board itself?

GREAT decoys!!

Thanks,

No I dont right now. My swans are put away and I have not yet started on the frames for the snows.

however I can tell you how I make them. The sticks are made from slavaged pallet cross pieces ripped down to 1.5" (save the saw dust for Sillo texture)
the plates are made from scrap plywood left over after I cut out the Sillos on the band saw. After that they go together almost exactly the same way Carl explaing in the various threads on here. I buy the hardware at our local surplus center.
Not including my time...... one v board all setup costs me about $1.50-$2 for the whole thing paint, hardware, glue and wood.

http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=35060;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Play around with it and have fun. there is no right or wrong way and my way is not any better than the rest.

All I know is.... I'll never buy a production Sillo or one of those plastic V-board frames.

After the sawdust was put on, did you roll, brush, or spray the paint?
This post got some gears turning and I think I have found inspiration to finish an old project.

the plywood frame looks good... the one's i borrow from mr. george are some sort of steel or aluminum.... i'll take a some close up pix later on this week when i drop off some snow goose shells i borrowed... + i'll take a pic of the over sized goose bodyboot silo...

Back