soft rub rail

greg setter

Sponsor
I am doing some work on my AA Blackjack and also need to replace the rub rail, but I want a softer rubber or similar product. What I need to cover is 3/4 wide X 1/4 deep. I am thinking of using automotive heater hose. There was originally some U channel molding on there that was soft vinyl or something like that. It was in bad shape and I took it off(obviously). So I am looking for ideas on something I can use. I have checked a lot of ideas and found nothing without spending $300 on 100' roll of something that is more than I need. Ideas welcome!

Attachments

• KIMG0747.JPG
    KIMG0747.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG0748.JPG
    KIMG0748.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 12
Molding that came from factory on the Blackjack I had was a sailboat molding from Taco Marine. It actually was suppose to help with the seal between cap and hull A cheap alternative might be some of the vinyl edgings they sell with the little steel gripping teeth inside. Made to finish sheet metal edges. Available on Amazon in different dimensions. Get one with stainless insert. Some of the Commercial waterman's sales sites sell various moldings also that may work for you. Taco Marine also sells a vinyl edging with aluminum gripping teeth which would absolutely work for your application.

Last edited:
Hi Roy and thanks for your ideas. I do have some of the Taco edging material but it will not cover the rivets. I was originally going to take the top off of the boat, but it was sealed so tightly that I realized I needed to leave it as is or I would create another problem. If I can find a 3/4" version of that product I will get it, but what I have is only 1/2.

I am doing some work on my AA Blackjack and also need to replace the rub rail, but I want a softer rubber or similar product. What I need to cover is 3/4 wide X 1/4 deep. I am thinking of using automotive heater hose. There was originally some U channel molding on there that was soft vinyl or something like that. It was in bad shape and I took it off(obviously). So I am looking for ideas on something I can use. I have checked a lot of ideas and found nothing without spending $300 on 100' roll of something that is more than I need. Ideas welcome!
Greg~

I have not fully explored here - but you may find what you need:

https://www.mcmaster.com/8507K34/

Hope this helps!

SJS

Greg, might something like this work? And it's sold by the foot!

OK, thanks for the feedback. So far I checked on Taco's website to see if they had edging that was any wider, and I have a roll of the widest and it is too narrow. Steve, I have to see if I can find a sample of that product. I had seen it somewhere else before but you had to buy a 250' roll and that was a bit much, but I think it would work if I can get a small length first to make certain. Geoff, I like the gunwhale guard, but I am looking at $300 for enough to get around, and I would definitely want to get a sample before I sprung for that. Roy, if you have any names of the commercial waterman's sites I would like to check those out.

Back