Some New Additions to the Spread...

End of season Cabela’s had a sale on all white magnum HD foam Snow Goose Decoys for $11.50 each. I took advantage and purchased 36 of them... With help from my friend Vinny and some exterior house paint I now have a full spread of sea ducks & divers on steroids. (Too bad I couldn't shorten up the necks...) Enjoy the photos...
View attachment Hen-and-Drake-Longtail.jpg
View attachment Surf_Scoter.jpg
View attachment Drake-Old-Squaw.jpg
View attachment Bufflehead.jpg
View attachment Atlantic_Brant.jpg

Howard, I hope you will let us know how they work out this coming season. Personally, I think they will work great. Sure looks like you had fun painting them. Good luck.
Al

Fairly sure they will... Will most definitely be better than the spread of 48 painted Clorox bottles I have in three bags with enough lines to make a seine net! These will be rigged in strings of 8 on longlines. Droppers are 3' for each decoy so dog(s) will be able to swim through the spread and only bring back the waterfowl...

Best regards,
Howard...

Awesome job! I'm loving those big deeks. Those will work great. I've used the model 92 goose bodies for eider and scoter and they work great. Enjoy using them this season.

Last edited:
My first sea duck rig was made up of herters goose bodies. At the time you could buy decoy components from Herters, Not sure if you can do that anymore. I bought a dozen bodies, bought eyebolts from the hardware store, and made heads from scrap, mostly silouette style. I will try to dig up some pictures.

They were (and continue to be) the last decoys many sea ducks ever saw ;). Hope yours work out as well for you!

What model number are these decoys? I went to the Cabelas site and they are not listed. I have 6 snows with a suk type bottom rather than a keel that these appear to have. I am going to paint up a brant rig and I'd like to get more of these

Back